It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Destabilization of the South Pole-Increasing Seismic Activity-

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
So for the last week or so I have noticed a few significant EQs in the south of Africa and near the south pole. Then today I found this article about it, so I thought I would pass it along. Quite interesting none the less.theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

The earthquake series is worrisome because it’s further evidence of what I have been warning about for over the past 6 months, that the Southern hemisphere, particularly around the periphery of Antarctic, is shows increasing signs of seismic destabilization. On January 12, there was a swarm of five moderate earthquakes which erupted south of Africa- the strongest of which was a 5.3 and a 5.5. On January 13, the South Sandwich Islands, north of Antarctica, was hit with a 5.1, and 5.2. On January 14 the region was struck again with a 5.0 earthquake and another 4.9 on January 15th. Not only are earthquakes increasing along the southern polar region but in November of 2011, the Tasmania’s Antarctic Climate and Ecosystem centre found that the South Ocean was storing more heat than any other ocean on the planet. The shape of the earth, a mal-formed spheroid, whose center of gravity is becoming increasing displaced by the turbulent shifting of the planet’s mass due to a wave of strong earthquakes that have rattled the planet over the last 7 years. These large mega-thrust earthquakes are exacting a terrible toll of stress on the planet’s angular momentum. In 2004, the planet suffered a devastating 9.1 mega-thrust earthquake in the Indian Ocean near the Sunda Strait. In February of 2010, Chile was rocked by a 8.8 magnitude earthquake and in March of 2011, Japan was similarly hit with a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and tsunami. In April of 2011, the European satellite Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer, or GOCE released a detailed map of Earth’s gravity field.

The planet’s magnetic field is degrading from a magnetic polar migration and subsequent reversal and the disproportionate weight of the Antarctica ice-cap has created a wobble or precession in the planet’s spin, which has recently fluctuated according to some scientists. Throw in the planet’s angle of inclination of 23° degrees and you have an unstable system that is bobbling along in space as it spins in tilted and trembling fashion. If any more large earthquakes strike the planet in the near future, her stability will erode further and the dangers of a catastrophic crustal correction becomes more likely, similar to what has already happened on Uranus, which is sitting on its side, and Mercury (with a magnetic field is already 150 times weaker than Earth’s) whose magnetic field has also slipped and is experiencing an unexplained thermal anomaly at the southern pole. All of these factors are increasing tectonic-plate stresses and earthquake activity on a very dangerous region of the planet that is already tinged by deep submarine volcanism

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
"catastrophic crustal correction"

Oh, you mean like a whole tectonic plate or two moving at once- the very thing I have been warning can, and I suspect has, occurred before in the distant past? Oh, you mean the very thing that a senior USGS scientist told me was basically impossible in an email and then deleted the entire thing in his response for plausible deniability?

Right.

Interesting article.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
This was Tweeted just 20 minutes ago...

"Strong earthquake hits off Antarctica's coast"
edition.cnn.com...

I guess it relates to this thread's topic.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
"catastrophic crustal correction"

Oh, you mean like a whole tectonic plate or two moving at once- the very thing I have been warning can, and I suspect has, occurred before in the distant past? Oh, you mean the very thing that a senior USGS scientist told me was basically impossible in an email and then deleted the entire thing in his response for plausible deniability?

Right.

Interesting article.

Seen that happen a time or two.
Just because you have a degree and important position does not make you infallible.

So,what is up with this?
What does it mean,in essence.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

There have been four moderate quakes in the southern hemisphere already today. VERY active right now

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
So,what is up with this?

Basically, it means what Edgar Cayce said would happen with a physical pole shift. Or in other words, the article is laying the case for the earth to become unstable enough for all the reasons mentioned to cause a catastrophic correction. And that means the earth might self correct its instability, which from simple physics means achieve equilibrium: proper rotational stability, according to mass and gravitational pull from the sun.

THAT would possibly be an ELE- or darn close to it. There are very few live things that could survive that, if it happened fast enough- and to me, chances are it would happen very fast- over hours or days. Might even happen in an instant- in which case, seeyas.

ETA: BUT!
The fact that there have been a few earthquakes in the area, does not in any way tie into that theory. Not unless you are just looking for it to. Cause if that were the case, heck, we got quakes all over the place and you could say any number of places could tie into that theory. In my case, it was back when there were quakes all over South America, and I got a bit concerned and emailed the USGS guy to ask about this possibility that a plate could move all at once.

Also, some might argue that correction is ongoing, and it wouldn't happen fast or at all- because essentially, the earth is always self correcting and in equilibrium- and that corrections happen minutely and over long periods.
edit on Sun Jan 15th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This recent earthquake activity in the south pole is very interesting. I wonder if the break up of the ice sheets are causing some of the seismographs to trigger.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Not very moderate to me!

Magnitude
Date-Time
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 13:40:18 UTC
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 09:40:18 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles)
Region
SOUTH SHETLAND ISLANDS
Distances
539 km (334 miles) W of Coronation Island, South Orkney Islands
625 km (388 miles) NE of Palmer Station, Antarctica
1019 km (633 miles) S of STANLEY, Falkland Islands
2919 km (1813 miles) S of BUENOS AIRES, D.F., Argentina
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 16.1 km (10.0 miles); depth +/- 4.7 km (2.9 miles)
Parameters
NST=165, Nph=168, Dmin=614.5 km, Rmss=1.12 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=9
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usc0007l67

Magnitude
Date-Time
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 14:21:31 UTC
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 10:21:31 AM at epicenter
Depth
14.2 km (8.8 miles)
Region
SOUTH SHETLAND ISLANDS
Distances
568 km (352 miles) W of Coronation Island, South Orkney Islands
603 km (374 miles) NE of Palmer Station, Antarctica
1019 km (633 miles) S of STANLEY, Falkland Islands
2921 km (1815 miles) S of BUENOS AIRES, D.F., Argentina
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 17 km (10.6 miles); depth +/- 4.6 km (2.9 miles)
Parameters
NST=160, Nph=164, Dmin=604.5 km, Rmss=1.03 sec, Gp= 61°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=B
Source
Event ID
usc0007l6r

Magnitude
Date-Time
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 18:41:10 UTC
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 02:41:10 PM at epicenter
Depth
15.7 km (9.8 miles)
Region
SOUTH SHETLAND ISLANDS
Distances
435 km (270 miles) WSW of Coronation Island, South Orkney Islands
663 km (411 miles) ENE of Palmer Station, Antarctica
1091 km (677 miles) SSE of STANLEY, Falkland Islands
2983 km (1853 miles) S of BUENOS AIRES, D.F., Argentina
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 18.3 km (11.4 miles); depth +/- 6.8 km (4.2 miles)
Parameters
NST= 34, Nph= 35, Dmin=665.7 km, Rmss=0.83 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=5
Source
Event ID
usc0007l8n

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Defianetely the moving sheets of ice are not helping matters, and they have accellerated their movement since the huge ice shelf broke off last year......
The Nibiru theory comes right back to mind when i heard this news....
I dont believe in Nibiru exactly, but i do think we are having gravitic anomalys happening to the planet...
maybe they are gravity waves from outside the system, or caused by the flight through a huge plasma field by the solar system these days...(it is something new....and unexamined by science as yet....)
The very fact that it is the southern hemisphere thats effected makes me think of a heavy body aproaching earths solar system....(the fact mercury ois also going through problems with its southern hemisphere may bolster that idea....
Hows Venus flying these days?
Any changes there too?
I think wer have been neglegent in examining all the data properly and are gonna get a rude shock soon.....
Its pretty oblivious that something subtle but very MAJOR is taking place throughout the whole solar system......Something fundamental has altered, and it is one of those things that doesnt take a large quantitive shift to cause wide spread results.....
Anyone cant see that?
Perhaps a quantum differtence even....?
I am not sure if it couldnt be something very tiny, but basic.Something that by the time it gets noticable to us, is too big to do anything but hold on and pray.....

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Defianetely the moving sheets of ice are not helping matters, and they have accellerated their movement since the huge ice shelf broke off last year......
The Nibiru theory comes right back to mind when i heard this news....
I dont believe in Nibiru exactly, but i do think we are having gravitic anomalys happening to the planet...
maybe they are gravity waves from outside the system, or caused by the flight through a huge plasma field by the solar system these days...(it is something new....and unexamined by science as yet....)
The very fact that it is the southern hemisphere thats effected makes me think of a heavy body aproaching earths solar system....(the fact mercury ois also going through problems with its southern hemisphere may bolster that idea....
Hows Venus flying these days?
Any changes there too?
I think wer have been neglegent in examining all the data properly and are gonna get a rude shock soon.....
Its pretty oblivious that something subtle but very MAJOR is taking place throughout the whole solar system......Something fundamental has altered, and it is one of those things that doesnt take a large quantitive shift to cause wide spread results.....
Anyone cant see that?
Perhaps a quantum differtence even....?
I am not sure if it couldnt be something very tiny, but basic.Something that by the time it gets noticable to us, is too big to do anything but hold on and pray.....

Gravity waves are theorized minute fluctuations in a fairly static gravity field. We have been trying to measure them with some fairly sophisticated equipment for at least 20 years and have not detected them yet.

You also mentioned plasma fields, gravitic anomalies, quantum difference & Nibiru.

This whole post might sound wonderfully "sciency" to you, but it is total nonsense.

There is no significant gravitational source that we can detect approaching our solar system.

Such a source of gravity would not just effect particular locations (like the south pole) but would affect everything on the planet (and much throughout the solar system) at once. It isn't there.

Yes, I concede that the melting of the ice shelf might well cause sufficient pressure changes to affect plate tectonics, but that is as far as I will go towards anything you said in your post.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Very interesting thread - Here's a video too with Dutchsinse who is pointing out that there's been 5 large quakes - 6 mag and more - one after the other.

www.youtube.com...

Thanks for the thread S&F

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I am glad your so smart and i am so stupid....
Thank you thank you....

well kick my ass for pondering #....
Ill go back under the bridge now massa....
Bit still,,, hmmmWhats your idea then?
What would explain the many and varied happenings around the globe?
Some gravitic anomally maybe?
Perhaps we are encountering a part of space affected by dark matter or dark energy?
What pray tell is the effect of dark matter on the universe? If it exists?(a handy catch all for "My equations dont jibe but heres what well do....")
certainly the crust of earth is getting active?unstable? i dont know the scientific term....but you get it im sure....
What part of the solar system travelling through space dont you get?
Time may not even be constant throughout space.....
how about the fresh matter which is created within the earth from the suns radiation?
maybe we have an expanding earth?
that may explain things hey......

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Antarctica is the place to watch and I think we may have many more things to see from that cold, lonely place. After all, it wasn't always cold and lonely....and that part of the world is suddenly drawing all sorts of attention. New military moves into Australia......Russian concentration of efforts and security at Lake Vostok and of course the American N.S.A. closing down everything the Russians haven't for information and status checks anyone can rely on...now, about the same time we ought to be expecting things to happen on that front, earthquake swarms come.

Perfect timing for the hyper-accurate/high resolution satellite imagery of Antarctica to be coming out into the public domain as another thread here recently talked about.

Indeed...in general terms, I would say we would all do well to keep one eye pointed generally south for the coming year and beyond. I believe there lay MUCH below and around the ice. Perhaps we can start with understanding a quake swarm at these magnitudes.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
This is also the same region that the Phobos Grunt Rocket crash landed.

Makes you wonder!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
I am glad your so smart and i am so stupid....
Thank you thank you....

well kick my ass for pondering #....
Ill go back under the bridge now massa....
Bit still,,, hmmmWhats your idea then?
What would explain the many and varied happenings around the globe?
Some gravitic anomally maybe?
Perhaps we are encountering a part of space affected by dark matter or dark energy?
What pray tell is the effect of dark matter on the universe? If it exists?(a handy catch all for "My equations dont jibe but heres what well do....")
certainly the crust of earth is getting active?unstable? i dont know the scientific term....but you get it im sure....
What part of the solar system travelling through space dont you get?
Time may not even be constant throughout space.....
how about the fresh matter which is created within the earth from the suns radiation?
maybe we have an expanding earth?
that may explain things hey......

The reason we know about so many odd things occurring around the globe is because of the Internet and other modern communications. In the past odd things have happened and it usually stopped at the local paper.

In regard to gravitation, as far as I know, the acceleration due to gravity is still 9.8 meters per second, per second. Same as it always was. Most instances of "gravitational anomalies" are optical illusions that make it appear that objects roll uphill, when they actually don't.

The dark matter that astrophysicists talk about has to do with the gravitation which binds galaxies together. The thing that tells us that we can't see it but it must be there, is that the gravitation required to stop galaxies flinging themselves apart, seems to indicate that 99% of the matter in the universe is invisible, it doesn't emit light, it is dark. Dark matter is not some magic stuff, it is merely a name for all the stuff we can't see.

Dark energy is different, it is the opposite, in terms of charge, of standard energy. I am unaware of anything that we have seen that indicates that dark energy actually exists, it is purely theoretical.

The Earth is NOT becoming more unstable. It has always had earthquakes and tectonic movements... always! In fact, logic tells us that as the Earths core cools and solidifies over billions of years, seismic activity must reduce.

Time is never constant throughout space. Relativity tells us that time and space are bent by extreme gravity and extreme relative speeds. But the image of the universe's background microwave radiation produced by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) has shown that the universe is quite flat, to a very high degree, i.e: these fluctuations in space, that you propose we are traveling through, do not appear to exist.

The Sun's radiation is not causing the creation of matter within the Earth. By the time the energy from the Sun reaches inside the Earth, it is attenuated to the point where it cannot possibly create matter, even on a quantum level. The Earth is neither increasing in average diameter or in mass.

Even Solar neutrinos that flood deep into the Earth in their billions every hour, simply pass through without interacting (most of them, anyway).

Sorry to be seeming to pick on you but I can't stop if someone is wrong on the Internet!

I'm just trying to deny ignorance.

edit on 16/1/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
So,what is up with this?

Basically, it means what Edgar Cayce said would happen with a physical pole shift. Or in other words, the article is laying the case for the earth to become unstable enough for all the reasons mentioned to cause a catastrophic correction. And that means the earth might self correct its instability, which from simple physics means achieve equilibrium: proper rotational stability, according to mass and gravitational pull from the sun.

THAT would possibly be an ELE- or darn close to it. There are very few live things that could survive that, if it happened fast enough- and to me, chances are it would happen very fast- over hours or days. Might even happen in an instant- in which case, seeyas.

ETA: BUT!
The fact that there have been a few earthquakes in the area, does not in any way tie into that theory. Not unless you are just looking for it to. Cause if that were the case, heck, we got quakes all over the place and you could say any number of places could tie into that theory. In my case, it was back when there were quakes all over South America, and I got a bit concerned and emailed the USGS guy to ask about this possibility that a plate could move all at once.

Also, some might argue that correction is ongoing, and it wouldn't happen fast or at all- because essentially, the earth is always self correcting and in equilibrium- and that corrections happen minutely and over long periods.
edit on Sun Jan 15th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

The problem is that the geological records (alright, those discovered so far) show that crustal displacement (geological pole shift) has indeed occurred in the past at least several times, it is a slow enough process for it to be recorded in the rock strata. In other words, it has happened over several million years rather than one huge slip that would devastate us all. Or again, in other words, if it happened now the chances are we wouldn't truly realise that was what was actually occuring as we we would long be ash before it finished.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
The problem is that the geological records (alright, those discovered so far) show that crustal displacement (geological pole shift) has indeed occurred in the past at least several times, it is a slow enough process for it to be recorded in the rock strata. In other words, it has happened over several million years rather than one huge slip that would devastate us all. Or again, in other words, if it happened now the chances are we wouldn't truly realise that was what was actually occuring as we we would long be ash before it finished.

Ahh, but there is more. Plenty more. Gargantuan boulders, in some cases a km long, being relocated from their original positions to hundreds of miles away? How? Sea shells discovered at the top of Everest? In other words, there are a lot of things in the geologic record they can't quite explain. But they clearly happened with catastrophic forces at work. It's happened before, and can happen again. Probably will.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
So should we be expecting more Earthquakes today then?

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Ahh, but there is more. Plenty more. Gargantuan boulders, in some cases a km long, being relocated from their original positions to hundreds of miles away? How? Sea shells discovered at the top of Everest? In other words, there are a lot of things in the geologic record they can't quite explain. But they clearly happened with catastrophic forces at work. It's happened before, and can happen again. Probably will.

Sea shells at the tops of mountains is a simple one to be honest - plate tectonics over the earths lifetime. Take where i am - North Yorkshire. Around 40 million years ago we were a coral reef in tropical waters just south of the Equator! (oh, how i long for a return to warmer climes!)

I am more of a believer in cosmic forces at work shaping our planet and interacting with the core - it just makes more sense to me. In this respect, the catastrophic forces at work thing still holds relevence. It also means that with our current tech and it's ever increasing pace, we should be able identify fairly soon (within decades) the most likely sources of the catastrophic celestial forces. For example, our solar systems position in the Milky Way.

I realise there though there are also currently plenty of holes in theory too!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Has anyone seen New Scientist today? They have an article about a group of 11 Antarctic lakes that are moving around half a kilometre a year - far faster than the ice shelf they sit on (5 to 10 times faster and in a different direction).

They currently have a theory but but no proof (and to be honest they appear to e rather vague themselves).

Sorry for going off topic but i thought i would include as it is linked to Antarctica (tenuous as it may be!
).

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join