It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Unions to shut down the Superbowl!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I used to work in the local 142 union in Indiana, and my friend still does. The last meeting they had everyone in there was freaking out about the "Right for Work" conflict. Then this guy came out and told everyone about this collaboration that the other Union's are going to do. They plan on dropping of cars and equipment into the middle of the street to block people, and have the support of many NFL players already to not cross the picket line.
I told him they are nuts, and are going to piss off a lot of drunk people who want a hot dog really really bad. Then I thought wow, these guys can probably get away with a large campaign without getting pepper sprayed because the people who own the Unions are simply going: "if you don't give us more money we will have our guys picket".

I own my own business, and after being in 2 different Unions I see a lot of people with their chins resting on their shovels waiting for orders. They (I was too) sit and wait for a highly unorganized event costing hundreds of hours of tax payers money. Okay I made a better salary, but at what expense? I paid the Union, my employer paid the Union, the state pays the Union, and for what? So you can't fire a guy for doing wrong? I have watched many people work as hard as they Union pays them. I have also watched small business go out of business because they can't afford to pay their employee $32.00 per hour to be a laborer. I also see many houses that could benefit from a Union worker-if they didn't charge $1200.00 to install a toilet, or put in a wall switch.

So, am I wrong? Does a Union really help themselves anyway? Wouldn't you guys like to get a job with better pay if your local contractor was allowed to bid on state jobs?

We would definitely need a cap on "how much you have to pay out per job". A company shouldn't be allowed to make 22 million from a paving job, and pay their workers $100,000 to get the job done.

Thoughts? Attacks?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They are going to block all streets beginning at the highways, and cramming the local streets. Yelling and chanting, and may get violent if you try to cross their picket line.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The moment unions started in with the whole "union shop" extortion aimed toward their fellow workers they doomed themselves to corruption and implosion.

They couldnt attract membership so they mandated it.

Never a good sign. It means your cause or group is becoming irrelevant.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

But yet, when OWS blocks traffic they are condemned and arrested.

I do not get it.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I hope they do. Can you imagine the backlash if they manage to pull it off. What little support there is for unions would simply evaporate. Talk about committing suicide.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So they are doing this because they are against right to work?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I do not get it.

The unions contribute big bucks to Democratic campaign war chests and the Occupy protestors don't have two pennies to rub together to keep themselves warm.

Its all about the amount of money you can send the politician's way. That is what determines how you are treated when you protest for your "rights".

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
no way.... will not happen
there is way to much money involved! It does make for a good story,
but there is no way this will actually go down.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You can take away Americans liberty, but god forbid you take away the superbowl there will be a riot. I could care less about the superbowl, and sports in general for that matter.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

I do not get it.

That's what I said, this is crazy. I really hope they do, I want to see reactions.
I'm not saying Unions are bad, it's just they way how they are ran now as opposed to how they should be ran.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
So they are doing this because they are against right to work?

Yes, this will mean (I have been told) that Non-Union companies will be able to bid on State jobs, etc.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

This is their mentality. Don't help OWS, call them conspiracy theorists.

All I gotta say is someone better get pepper sprayed!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

If they are doing this for the profit and benefit of the unions I am completely against this

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Look at the bright side...

At least now there will be not annoying half time show!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think that the Union big wigs are getting scared and are trying to take away the billions in profits from the superbowl, because the union about to lose billions. The union is trying to scare people is all, I bet they sudden;y receive a large check from someone, and call off the whole party.

BUT, what I was told was they already have numerous Unions involved, and every person from each Union will be attending.

Is anybody here in the Indiana Union? Have you anything to add to this?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I support Unions...but this is a very stupid idea.

Who would they be protesting??? The NFL? Football fans?

Is it the NFL that is threatening to pass right to work legislation??? I think they have watched OWS too much...a protests aimed at nothing gets nothing accomplished.

They won't bring attention to your cause, they will just piss a lot of people off.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
All they're going to do is demonize unions even more in a day and age when the need for more unions is rapidly increasing by the day.

link   

Unions suck as far as I am concerned.

I have had to deal with them many times. I need to set up an event at a convention center. My equipment is sitting on the dock waiting to be moved. I look around for someone to help move the equipment for me, no one can be found. So, I hop on a empty forklift, which I am more than qualified to drive. Then from out of no where, I am mobbed by pissed off union workers for "touching their stuff". So, I get off the forklift to allow them to move it for me and I return to my booth spot. I wait ten minutes or so and no equipment. I return to the warehouse and the forklift and equipment are still in the same spot as I left it a few minutes before. I look around and no one is around. I go out back to the smoking area and 15 people are out there smoking and having a good old time. I jump back on the forklift, and wouldn't you know it, I get mobbed again. Finally I had to get down right pissy with them and damn near got in a fight. So then I start grabbing my boxes and move them manually, and then they say I cannot do that either. I eventually got it done, but damn!!!

I have always maintained that if I was ever in the position of owning a business and a union came in, I would shut business down and lock the doors.

link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I know right? I asked him if they thought the football players would help them get their papers signed or what? Freeze outside in the park like everybody else, and don't get your message across. We are broke we can't pay Unions anymore, we don't have the money like we used to.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

That's all a Union is good for.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join