It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile accused vows to fight on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Missile accused vows to fight on

latestnews.virginmedia.com

A retired businessman has vowed to fight on to end his "nightmare" after failing in a High Court bid to halt his extradition to the US on charges of conspiring to sell batteries for Iranian missiles.

Lawyers for Christopher Tappin, 64, have condemned the "one-sided" UK-US extradition treaty and say they will seek to block his removal in the Supreme Court.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Comprehensive 'Breaking Alternative News' Forum Posting Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/14/2012 by Mirthful Me because: Title.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This man could be in a world of trouble i think, Not sure if this has already been put up but i havnt seen it yet?
I dont think i even remember this first making the news, Surely it must have done? Does anybody else remember this been breaking news before?

I was pretty shocked to be honest, would like it if anybody else has some more links to this subject. thanks

latestnews.virginmedia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
He needs to go to prison. Its obvious what he did and he knew it was wrong when he did it.

If your in the arms trade you need to have your import and export paperwork in order and also have the stamps signitures and blessings of the countries your operating in.

No sympathy on this one.

Now if he had sold them in good faith to another documented merchant and then they pulled a fast one behind his back, well then thats being innocent.

In this case he knew not to deliver the product to an enemy of his host countries and then did anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

If your in the arms trade you need to have your import and export paperwork in order and also have the stamps signitures and blessings of the countries your operating in.

So I take it if you have your paperwork in order lockheed can sell missiles to anyone so they are free to murder? Paperpwork etc only works for the people making the rules

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
didn't rumsfield and co. sell advanced weapons to saddam hussein in the 80's, as well as osama bin laden and the mujahideen in afghanistan in their struggle against the soviets.

as a matter of fact, didn't reagon authorize the secret transfer of weapons to iran for the release of 52 american hostages in 1982.

they all knew these guys were no friends of america. especially iran. they have been enemies for decades.

and his guy is looking at 50 years in prison for batteries.

i see no one in america with the balls to call for their arrest. so much for american toughness.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Not much in the way of details in the case, so I can't be for certain here, but I don't see where the US has the right to grab citizens of another country for breaking a US law when the citizen was living and operating within that other country.

Now if Tappin was allegedly breaking the law while in the US or its territories, then that would be differant.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Indeed i understand that IF this man is guilty of arms trading but batteries are not arms and is an innocent product. Is there proof of him knowing what they where for in the first place? I've watched documentrys before where people have mention there finding pieces of remote controls ect everyday small battery operated electrics ect from uk in IED'S which leads me to think how does this stuff make it out of our country to another thats at war? Obviously companys are claiming to be recycling ect through legit buisness, But surely a country thats in the middle of war should be locked down?

Rather than letting these things be possible why not stop it from happening in the first place?
edit on 13-1-2012 by intuitive because: palce changed to place

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This and the other recent extradition cases with the US simply highlight how inexcusably poor the UKs extradition treaty is with the US, although I do feel some what frustrated with the US over these cases, the entire fault still lays at the feet of the numpties in Westminster for allowing this treaty to continue

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by intuitive

Tappin, a former director of Surrey-based Brooklands International Freight Services, has said he believed he was exporting batteries for the car industry in the Netherlands. Mr Justice Cranston said the allegation against Tappin, in broad outline, was that he had participated in the conspiracy with another UK citizen, Robert Gibson, who operated an export business in Cyprus, and American citizen Robert Caldwell. Others involved had not been named.

From the linked article. He denies it, others were involved too (the man that sold Saddam chemicals for poison gas or something like that turned out to be a Dutch raw chemicals trader or vaguely similar, it was argued he could have known what they were being used for...) and some names haven't been released. Hmm...the smell of fish permeates the air.
edit on 13/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo/grammar/syntax

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I find the whole thing confusing, It keeps reading to me the the sale of batteries is from a front company in the US (fronted by US gov agents) to a person (in this case in the UK) and that the agents reportedly confirmed the batteries required no export licence from the US, which was a lie and which is what the offence was.

Where Iran figures in this I have no idea..

But I've seem similar cases (although opposite) in the UK where American agents have gone onto UK companies websites and ordered things that are legal here in the UK and Illegal in the US, and then started the extradition process on the companies owners for supplying illegal substances.

In these cases the fault I see lays with the Government at Westminster for not cancelling the existing extradition treaty, most of these cases should at worst be brought to trial in the UK, the UK government is failing it's citizens and it will bite them on the arse.
edit on 13/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Yeah very intresting to see how this one goes indeed, So lets see who manages to keep safe or if this one stone turned uncovers a vast back handed tree which brings into light some big players. amazing though how if he didnt realise and was sat there eating his breakfast watching the news and the iran missiles are being tested ect and actually its you that helped put them into the air lol, Just proves some people dont/wont ever know the extent of an innocent act can actually risk the welfare of possibly hundreds if not more lives.

Hello to the netherlands.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

You're right of course, the US gov' have done a lot worse than this guy however, two wrongs don't make a right & it seems to me that this guy took a chance on making an illegal buck & lost. As they say "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime". Too bad for the guy, but i think he knew the risk he was taking.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by Shadowalker

So I take it if you have your paperwork in order lockheed can sell missiles to anyone so they are free to murder? Paperpwork etc only works for the people making the rules

That's exactly right. Your comment about "murder" is simply gratuitous, but you have your facts right. There really are people making up the rules and they do have paperwork which leads to a review of the potential sale. And in that review the people who make up the rules decide if it's a good idea to allow the transcation to go through. It doesn't matter what you or I think about it. They are the ones making up the rules. Generally speaking they think it's a bad idea to sell weapons to our enemies. They may have lots of other considerations. Maybe they just want to stir up trouble. It doesn't really matter what you think about it, if you violate the rules, the people who make up the rules will try to convict you of vbiolating those rules and off to jail you go. That;s how it works. The real surprise is that anyone would think this is a surprise.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
If a US admiral and a colonel (north) dont have to go to prison why should he?
Lets give him what they gave to Col. North.....
This is just too hypocritical really.......
(not saying the guy isnt slime) but look how easy it is if your on the side that makes all the rules......

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Interesting you think Britain one of your enemies! The sale was between America and Britain, and while it could have then gone onto anywhere, the same could be said about your example with paperwork, and in this case adding Iran to the mix sounds equally gratuitous.

If an agent of the American government can lie about products (in this case batteries) needing the right paperwork for items they are selling then what hope is there that any of the paperwork going through the system is not based on similar lies.

The crux of the matter is the one sided extradition treaty between the America and Britain and the fault of that lays at the feet of the Government in Westminster, it is creating deep distrust between between our peoples, and while I know some will relish that idea I feel it sad that our relationship is descending into one of mutual distrust and dislike.

ETA: all these cases lack the most important ingredient, evidence of wrong doing, they are based on "good faith" that American prosecutors have that evidence.
edit on 14/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by intuitive

Simple case of being set-up by the CIA and used as propaganda against Iran.

Source: I know him.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
This country let him down big time, And this morning he left his wife + family to fly to america.

Good luck .

If anybody has any new NEWS please post it in here so i can keep up with this, thanks

top topics

join