It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longest sniper kill in history 1.5 miles?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

Originally posted by ANNED
American rifle American round . Canadian trigger puller.. Chalk one up for North America

Hmm, so how many continents were actually competing for this record?

Just curious.

sniper competitions are quite common here in the states which leads me to believe they have similar competitions around the world. One of the more difficult challenges is the helicopter sniper challenge.

This particular video isnt as impressive or informative as the one I saw on discovery channels "Top Sniper" about helicopter snipers, so if anyone can find said video please share!
edit on 14-1-2012 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxy1

Chances are that this is the longest kill shot ever made. However that doesn't destroy the possibility that someone hasn't made a longer shot and just didn't brag about it. 1.5 Miles is quite a distance. The longest shot (So far) I've ever made that ended in a perfect kill was last season when I was Moose hunting with my buddy. I used his .270 and made a 700m kill (Way out of my then comfort range) but I've gotten much better since then. I'm going to try and hit 1000m once I get my .338 Lapua from Savage Arms though. I promise to record it for you all to watch!
I know the .338 is barely breathing at 1000m but still, that's a pretty long shot for my current skill level.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
There is great show called Homeland that has an episode on this topic. It is on showtime and is great.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
wow great watch thanks for shareing. Insane shot right there.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The Barrett .416 apparently makes the mile and a half shot a lot more common.

A sniper has a cold bore shot at a target a mile and a half away.

Said sniper needs a round a little more accurate than the Barrett .50.

Try the Barrett .416?

dsc.discovery.com...

FutureWeapons SHORTS: Barrett 416 Bullet
On Discovery Channel's series "Future Weapons," The Barrett 416 bullet is used for snipers achieving accuracy for distances over 2000 yards. The bullet is smaller than the typical .50 caliber round, and can travel much faster.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Foxy1

It would be even more amazing if a sniper concepted life at 1.5miles. Wait...what?!

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by travis911
There is great show called Homeland that has an episode on this topic. It is on showtime and is great.

One of the more interesting television series going.

I'm anxious for season two.

Will the sniper prevail? Will the suicide bomber get the job done first?

Kind of makes you wonder.

I've been a fan of Damien Lewis since 'Band of Brothers.' His short lived series 'Life' was fun to watch.

I highly recommend 'Homeland,' as do you.'

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by travis911

An addendum....watched the first two shows of Doomsday Preppers last night.

Most worthy of note.

posted on Feb, 8 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My understanding is that Furlong, the Canadian soldier in question, is a Newfoundlander.

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
My understanding is that Furlong, the Canadian soldier in question, is a Newfoundlander.

EDIT:

After this shot, his squad was investigated for desicrating dead bodies. Apparently no charges were laid and Furlong became a cop.
edit on 9-2-2012 by StalkingHorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Anyway, any of you watch the 'Surviving the Cut' series?

The one on the sniper school was interesting, particularly the part about where trainees had to crawl four hundred yards through a trench filled with water temperature at 45 degrees in the middle of the night.

I'll tell ya, the human body as a refined Weapon of Mass Destruction is eomthing to watch.

Surviving the Cut: US Army Sniper School : Videos : Discovery ...
About This Playlist Surviving the Cut: US Army Sniper School This is the military's premier Sniper school. Navy SEALs, Green Berets, and the military's best soldiers ...
dsc.discovery.com/.../surviving-the-cut-​army-sniper-school - Cached
More results from dsc.discovery.com »

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join