It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do any of you ever do things just to try to avoid the rest of the world?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I am constantly thinking of ways to escape the boring confines of reality and journey to an exciting far away place. It is healthy to crave some alone time where you are free to be yourself and not be bothered by the troubles of others around you. I find playing video games, listening to music in the dark, watching DVDs or even sitting at the bench at the local park to be great ways to escape.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcdgray129
reply to post by Hawking

miy fav Final fantasy games are 7,6,5,9,,
8,10,12,13,4,3,2,1 in that order
what about you? and i cant wait for FF13-2 as it has towns and exploring and stuff the only thing that was missing from 13 imo

Hell yeah, February 3rd couldn't come any faster! 13-2 already sounds much better than 13, not just with the exploration, but with Mog Clock, time travel, being able to talk to npc's and use dialogue trees that will affect your game etc. ... much more like a traditional FF Title.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I know the feeling, the need to be alone with my thoughts. Distractions are frustrating to me, sometimes I just crave solitude with nothing but my books and a pen surrounded in the beauty of nature. I guess we all have different escape mechanisims. Good post.

PLPL
edit on 12-1-2012 by Minori because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

EVERY DAY!!!
The world sucks and people suck.
I have to tell you, I could have vomitted last night at the grocery store...don't want to go on a rant but I can definately see why someone would sit in a clocktower and just start picking out people to take out.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hmmm....

Quit job. Ignored family and friends. Burned all bridges. Moved to Podunk, Nowhere. Settled at the end of a long dead-end dirt road. No phone. No mail.

Yup. Pretty much.

And doing more everyday to isolate myself even further. The main obstacle I have now is property taxes requiring me to earn an income. If I can just get around that I'd finally be an island.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Not sure this counts but I live in a tiny village and we get a few hikers passing by. When I am out with the dog and see someone I immediately take a detour. I just don't want to have to pass the time of day with someone or have my solitude interrupted. In fact I know all the places to hide till folks have gone past! On one occasion I saw a group approaching so I headed up through some trees. I completed a virtual circle and they were still on my tail. They must have been lost as they followed me round and round for nearly an hour.

edit on 12-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I am fortunate to live alone, which is how I prefer it. Not fond of the world so I avoid it as much as possible.

I enjoy music, video games, reading, dvds and getting off into spaces where it seems I am the only one on earth. Hard to do these days, but still possible.

Finding fossils or interesting rocks is soothing. Being near a river, creek, lake, brook or other forms water can take is wonderful.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Oh, if only I can go back to living alone.

ugh, my sisters kid, totally destroyed my linoleum floor. The boards underneath, soaked, the rug, pasted to the linoleum. Oh, yeah, and she busted my dead bolt door, so now everyone can rob me.

And everyone wonders why I get aggravated and rant and rave on here.

You think this stuff is cheap!!

I have to replace my whole floor now.
And, I, put that linoleum floor down myself. All that work for nothing.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I moved to the country so to minimize city life stimulation, so yes, quietude and solitude are my buffers. Music, pondering/contemplating and surfing the interwebs keeps me distracted too.

Do you have any thing you do to just "get lost" and forget the rest of the world? Why do we do this? Is it a protection mechanism?

I see it as active and inactive, as in just like the tides roll in and out, our day is filled with activity, so it is important to experience an emptiness too, and not like sleep, but a conscious emptying. This is why value is assigned to meditation, detachment and solitary endeavors, in moderation of course.
Also, yes, some do hide or get away from some realties that we just chose not to deal with every moment.

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by domasio

Originally posted by mcdgray129
reply to post by Hawking

miy fav Final fantasy games are 7,6,5,9,,
8,10,12,13,4,3,2,1 in that order
what about you? and i cant wait for FF13-2 as it has towns and exploring and stuff the only thing that was missing from 13 imo

Hell yeah, February 3rd couldn't come any faster! 13-2 already sounds much better than 13, not just with the exploration, but with Mog Clock, time travel, being able to talk to npc's and use dialogue trees that will affect your game etc. ... much more like a traditional FF Title.

Star for you my friend, and your right it cant come out soon enough, Finally!! a real FF game
, 13 had a great story and was the main reason for finishing it, but i hated how liner it was.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yup, every damn day.

I utilize many different things to escape the insanity, most things have already been mentioned by other posters: books, movies, internet, video games, music, hobbies, coming up with excuses to not have to go to some social function, etc etc.

I hate having to step out my front door.
Maybe I'm turning into one of those crazy old coots that's become jaded and tainted, and hates the world.

"The more people I meet, the more I love my cat."

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
i can be completely within myself, complete internal gazing with the source, and block out all external stimuli even if i find myself in a crowd of thousands.

adaptability is crucial in the game of duality, one must be able to comprehend and visualize a complex spectrum of happenings, understand their purpose and energy and move into and out of their fields seamlessly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join