It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Reportedly Plans to Create Internet ID for All Americans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Can my id be Princess Shamalamadingdong please?

Seriously for real I don't see how this is important.

Because it is yet another step to full control over every action you take and the dissolving of any rights to privacy you still have.

How can people NOT get this?

True, but guess what, hate to say it, but the country won't rest until we are a full oligarchy/facist nation...and many support it, you can go through and see the ones who are advocating it right here on ATS...so I wouldn't get my hopes up on anything being changed to our benefit as so many on here really support taking away all our individual rights and handing them over to corporation Amerika.

ETA: Also these people are fine with it if it is their chosen side advocating it, either way we are heading toward a dictatorship, but people just want their side to be the dictator. all I can say is run, run like hell;...IDK where too....

edit on 12-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

edit on 12-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: to add

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Yeah, the actual implementation of this is less physical then ever before.
The Govt need only have the ISP allow them access to the network, and they can monitor it.
The moving of cables and so on is no longer necessary.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Here is what the man said

"The end game, of course, is to create an Identity Ecosystem where individuals and organizations can complete online transactions with greater confidence. . . putting greater trust in the online identities of each other. . . and greater trust in the infrastructure that the transactions run across.

Let’s be clear. We are not talking about a national ID card. We are not talking about a government-controlled system. What we are talking about is enhancing online security and privacy and reducing and perhaps even eliminating the need to memorize a dozen passwords, through creation and use of more trusted digital identities.

To accomplish this, industry leadership is essential. We need the private sector’s expertise and its involvement in designing, building and implementing this Identity Ecosystem."

Here is the whole in context thing.

www.commerce.gov...

Now make arguments -- getting news from Fox is like listening to the Bat boy --

Cypber security is a problem and it IS going to bite us in the ass. I do this stuff for a living -- I get to see the logs of all the people randomly trying to break into our company - I deal with all the malware crap..

Ask the Iranians how effective stuxnet was. You don't know what stuxnet is then you don't really have a dog in this fight.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

"The end game, of course, is to create an Identity Ecosystem where individuals and organizations can complete online transactions with greater confidence. .

The end game is to allow organizations to collect more data on individuals to sell.
Any online business should know you only ship to address tied to credit/debit card unless you call the customer to make sure they placed the order.

If you can't remember password write them down and hide the notepad in a safe place for when you need it. That would give you better security and better privacy over having everything tied to online id or internet-id.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The internet is not a different universe. It's the same one as this one. It would be easier to understand if you just pictured in your mind that the internet is a place, like any other place. We have ID's in the real world. The internet is not a separate world. The internet is part of the real world. So it needs ID's, right? All that's happening is that people are waking up and realizing that the virtual reality is not separate of the real one. They're both connected and inseparable.

It's a world of light and electrical signals and circuits. This "place" (this forum) exists in cables and circuits and monitors and all of hte other various facets of the information age. They're REAL.

This place (this forum) is real because it exists. Additionally, our economy is increasingly being done via the internet and hte computers we've become so tied to. Therefore, law and order is not exempt. Crimes can be orchestrated and carried out on the internet just like in RL.

Just because this world is of light and signals and circuits doesn't change anything.
edit on 12-1-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
some people's naivite on here scares me.
"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" ideology is the start of the end.
As an example. I made a silly website in 2005. I'm not ashamed but I made it when I was drunk. In those days the internet was still like the wild west. everything was possible. It was fun to read really crazy websites that would not be allowed nowadays.
Anyway. I forgot about my one page foolery but came across it again the other day. It was still there. However when I looked properly, it said my full name on the bottom and had my old email address [which I can still receive]. I didn't like this one bit. Not only have I moved on and need to be 'proper' if people find me due to my husband's job but this website could be misconstrued by anyone.
In 2005, doing what I did was normal and cool but only 6 years later everything has changed, If nobody could find me then. They can now. I couldn't forsee this then.
Now I managed to get rid of said website but it is still in the google archives.
I am law abiding and I don't do anything to hurt others but a foolishness a few years ago could in theory get me into trouble if TPTB wanted to. What if in a few more years a law comes out that would make my foolishness illegal [as it stands it is not]. Lets say they look for it. I could be found guilty. Just like that.

Now everyone that posts on ATS believes that they are more or less save. Because at the moment in time we are not doing anything illegal. But lets say in the future saying what we are saying will be against a new law. government will go back and technology will be such that they will find you. Bam, guilty again.

Nobody knows what the future brings but I have learned that what is OK now may not be later on, but by then it is too late, because we will have said what we said.

I am German and grew up there until I was 22, I had east-german friends and to be honest everything that happens in the US is ringing massive alarm bells in me. However people who have never grown up with the reality of oppression would not believe the signs. They would run head first into it believing that all governments will always have your best interest at heart. Let me tell you. they don't.

Let me also say that as much as the east-germans were opressed, they had a heck more privacy and freedom than the average American nowadays. That is scary.

You are really stupid if you think you have to do something illegal to be found guilty. There are so many laws and there will be more that will find something about you that will MAKE you guilty, regardless of how much you think you are not doing anything wrong. I'm glad most people on here are not sheep.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
the government can't even secure the border, where in the hell do the get off thinking they can secure my identity on the interweb/net/link...

i cant even really think how this would even work...? how would i use my internet id from my work computer, let alone phone, laptop, desktop and tablet... all at once..?

can't do it by ip address / mac address, nor do i see a way to do this from my current ISP...
maybe by some walled garden, from your ISP?

and on ZERO day, by the time they implement this, thousands of computer geeks are going break it...
just by sniffing (snarfing) wifi traffic... oops there goes your internet id...

stolen cookies, spoofed sessions and mac addresses... they already have CALEA, why do they NEED MORE CONTROL...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Even ALL versions of Linux you can get assign SSID's to every hard drive on your computer, to track you.

PLUS every modem/LAN card/wireless card is assigned a MAC address, to track you.

PLUS every computer made today has a serial number in the BIOS, to track you.

PLUS every operating system has a serial number to track you.

PLUS every addon software has serial numbers to track you.

PLUS your IP address assigned to you to access the Internet, is used to track you.

And they want to create yet ANOTHER ID to track us? And they wonder why Australian youth don't want to use the Internet.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

You forgot the implementation of IPv6.
Each device will have its own IPv6 Address.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilsrule

you hit my point right on if some one got all that ID stuff and cloned you, set up fake ID spot then what ever they posted or site they hacked would come back on you , ID is ID you have to prove them wrong, fake ID that is your number with someone else face on it, the GOV all ready knows where your at, what your doing , see the cam on the light pole or the corner of the building, got a new monitor or lab top? does it have a built in cam? if so smile your on GOV TV.

edit on 12-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

The scariest thing about this is the potential for abuse. Let's say that in the future after this act is established that someone in the upper echelons of the USA decides we need a supercomputer to begin doing detailed database profiling of every single citizen. Now let's imagine for a minute that there is an individual who likes to go to websites outside of what "most" people "should" be going to (i.e. The red flagged individual goes to websites like ATS and controversial Youtube videos too much. The "norm" websites are things like sporting scores, best restaurants,etc.).

I could see them setting up a system where the red flagged individuals get a notice in the mail from the FED that they have been ordered to attend a psychological evaluation with a counselor specially selected for them. Oh and of course there will be no cost for the evaluation, however the red flagged individual can be deemed to be a "danger" to themselves or society. In the event that happens, the specially selected psychiatrist or social worker can place you into a live-in monitoring facility (camp).

It's all hypothetical, but the potential for abuse is there. I think if the president is going to make these laws, there have to be limits to how far-reaching they can be, and those limits should be set into place BEFORE internet ID becomes law.
edit on 1/12/2012 by InFriNiTee because: removed an extra word

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

oh so my bank, phone, ATS, Google, yahoo, and the other dozen or so web sites I post browse or stumble up on would have one ID tag for me to use to get access.
Nice!!!! lets make it easier for ID theft!!!! or Pave the way for rfid ID, but then this too is not that secure, but only the 1% has to worry about that, for the rest of the 99 do not have the income to hack, just the ID to use to make the hack on the 1%

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The other major thing that bothers me about this is the potential for someone to clone your identity credentials, much in the same way that people can clone a sim card on a phone and have access to the same phone account from a separate phone. Anything that is digital can be hacked by geeks eventually. This seems way too ripe for getting hacked, and when it does-that's when they will tell everyone they need the biochip (implantable rfid). Oh and then the only real way to prevent the biochip from being hacked would be to wear a Faraday Cage suit 24/7.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Once again the Government Fails Us...

Concentrating on controlling us and what we say rather than fix much Greater issues and problems that they created. They can't even balance a check book, why are "they" in charge of us and our money?

The more rules they make, the more crime will simply change to counter what they create and only the innocent will suffer for it all. Quit with the nanny rules already and get with the program.

A better World will consist of tearing down these foolish rules and realizing FREE WORLDWIDE EDUCATION is the only way to combat ignorance & crime. The rules they make will only create more corruption - just like the rest of the Garbage they create.

Do something worthwhile and quit wasting OUR Time - Concentrate on creating JOBS for Everyone using the Internet & Free Online Education.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainKostr

It is there , the Gov way of keeping you in line , an act bill law goes in and becomes part of life you post your dislike they know who and where it came from , they can take you off line , block you IP and block your access to the web/net by the act of just posting your dislike, the more extreme seize your bank account and cancel your credit debit card, the more of the threat you are the better for them to silence you.

Anonymous would not be so, it would be known, all of OWS as well, we too on ATS would be out cast, "do not hire him her for they go on ATS and are security risk" do you see how this could be used?? yes it is tin foil hat time well I do not use a tin foil hat for I know it is all to real.

Cams in the street... finger print to get a job... must have state ID/DL to cash check. Used to be "Hi Sam or Jane , how you doing, here to cash my check". Now it is , do you have an account , know your pin, show ID, sign here to get your money out. Oh yea it is not your money it is theirs, your just borrowing it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The internet is greatest and most important innovation since the automobile.

Only a matter of time before some enitity or government destroys it! This and SOPA are truly awful if the come to pass. Why can't they just leave us all alone? Oh eyah, money and control. How silly of me.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Surely to implement this properly in America they would have to route all internet traffic within the country through one (or a group) of government servers which required people to log in every time they wanted to go onto the internet. That's not an easy task.

Google government super computer....Maybe the different agencies.......

They already do it.................

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I can name at least three legal ways around this...

Its no skin here...

The fun par is when you add in cloud computing...

every prohibition creates it bootleggers...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The Senate is scheduled to vote on the internet censorship bill on Tuesday, January 24th so we still have time to stop it
americancensorship.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Yep, Schmidt was President of ISSA before he was appointed by the administration.

www.securitysquared.com...

But this is a trend I've observed in the industry.
edit on 13-1-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join