It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Reportedly Plans to Create Internet ID for All Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Though this is funny, and borderline dictatorship I hope I get an uber Internet ID...Make it distinct if you are already reading this!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

oh the dark side has taught you well, no freedom, no rights, and no self privacy, just the way they like it!!!! One should have no right of them selves, it should be an open book , all should know you like [guns, you like the GOP, you like the color blue, you have x amount income you have x amount of debt, you have... you need] see where this could go? [sounds like face book] Is it not bad enough that they know what kind of socks, boots, shirts,pants, food, drinks , web sites, music, paint, tools, toys, and what type of phone you buy, use, or have in possession? should they now know my exact location and my house address as well?, Is it not bad enough now? if this does take place I might consider no more web/ net for me. I have real no need for it, but that is just me, how many of you can say the same, get by with out the net /web?

edit on 12-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

edit on 12-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

We should wish we were so important.
Hey if anyone in government deems me important enough, can you send me some socks in my fav color for my birthday?
edit on 12-1-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Already Telstra the biggest ISP in Australia requires new customers to provide identification documents for internet service.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I can see how it'd be important to stop theft online and maybe if someone is being a huge bully, you can find them easier and scare them into stopping via the law, and no one can like steal your credit card info cuz their face would have to match the one on the id (assuming that all places where you do ecommerce will have a picture taking ability), so that would stop internet theft from hackers fast.

I'd be for that actually. Taking my pic online as I purchase something and putting that pic against the one on my id? Fool proof and perfect really.

I suppose there could be some way for the govt to use that against us, an online ID, but, (and hey, I'm a huge Ron Paul supporter too) I really don't see any harm in it. I see good, definitely. If one is doing good online, they have NOTHING to worry about. All I do is read my email, play minecraft, talk to friends on facebook, write stories and read various sites. I'm not out trying to hijack any sites or steal anything. Only those doing bad online would have to worry -pedofiles, online bullies, hackers, criminal thieves, etc.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

id like my personal id to be "nofatchicks"
what would you want yours to be?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Just adding; I don't care who knows my favorite color, book, clothing, movie, etc. I don't care who knows what kind of debt I have (64k school loan and I have a credit score of 530. And?) My phone number and address are in the local phone book; if anyone wanted to find me, they'd not really have that hard of a way to find out. So people know my favorite bands, purfumes, drinks, how I love spending my saturday nights, that I love doing fanfiction and role playing characters from my fave movies, games, etc. That really does NOT bother me.

It'd bother me more if I were into crime and they knew who i was robbing or what bad stuff I did online or in my cellar or why I need 5 cleavers, etc. THAT's the only folks who need to worry. So what if they see you habitually going to facebook, deviant art, walmart.com and here and other places? It means nothing. People are getting far too paranoid lately. It's why I like sitting on the fence here and sometimes spouting my own opinions.

For the record, I'm 39 years old. American born and raised. Ron Paul all the way. Tired of how things are going but still awake enough to know the ridiculous from the real problems. This is really not that big of a deal. The govt knows my address and phone number and fingerprints and social, etc. I suppose seeing me going on deviant art will just add more to that mystique which makes me me.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
well any form of ip address is useless for tying down to a person as its easy to spoof and even with ID's i can see a new form of swatting where someone uses your ID to make some comments about bombs/guns/the president etc and next thing you know theres 30 swat officers and 5 black helicopters off to take you to a place where the fear of latex gloves is normal

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Not exactly, because you see, if someone say hijacks my WiFi or if they use a station like McDonalds for free WiFi or Starbucks, whatever, it goes back to that computer system. Plus you can change IP addresses and you can also filter and hide IP addresses. I can even duplicate someone else's IP address.

And like that would stop the hackers from doing the same with this Internet ID? It'd probably take them two minutes to figure a way out. The reason I don't like the idea is because it'll end up making life miserable for the innocent. Sure they might catch a few but over time the criminals will get better and they'll have to up the protection by I-don't-know you have to check in with the police every time you want to get online and provide a list of sites you go to and/or they tell you what sites you can go to...like saying, "You are a marine biologist, you don't need to be on ATS."

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I don't think people actually get what this means. They are just taking more rights and freedoms. They are just going to start taking tallies on people, the internet is really the only place where you can have the right to say whatever you think and connects us all. Once they take that away who knows...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Ahhh, more centralized government. I'm sure Republicans would love it as well.

America, WAKE UP.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Uh yeah... OK. Identity theft is rampant, hacking as well. Let's create yet another way to threaten and terrorize the American People. Lets give them one more thing to have to worry about safe guarding because none of the following is enough.
1. children
2. birth certificate
3. social security number
4. drivers license
5. bank account number
6. bank card
7. bank card password
8. credit cards
9. credit card password
10. email account password
11. banking website password
12. facebook password
13. ATS password
shall I go on? LOL It's just yet another way they can control their sheeple........

**note: is anyone else getting the schmuck's new, I mean Fox news link to the article to load??
edit on 12-1-2012 by DJDigitalGem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Barack H Obama will not be in the database because he is not a US citizen and does not have a valid SS number.
Check his BC at whitehouse.gov, it is clearly a Photoshop, and check the multiple SS numbers he has, current from Connecticut the other issued to Bounell, at his Chicago address.,

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
You know, I've starred several posts on this thread both for and against this. I can see how both sides could be worried/not worried. I've got nothing to hide. I treat people online the same way I do in real life. The only thing be anonymous does for me is to make me less shy haha.

But at the same time do I really want all my info to be THAT accessible? Sure, hackers can still get my info but at least they have to do some semblance of work for it, right? But having all my stuff together in one place would definitely make it easier. And the government doesn't have the best track record for being "unhackable." And if it was something like another poster suggested like a usb stick or something like that they better not charge for replacements b/c I can't keep up with anything or keep it out of my kids' reach haha.

I mean...I don't know. I've got more arguments for and more arguments against but I can't seem to put them into words lol. I need coffee.

Am I the only one who is kinda on the fence about this?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere
Ahhh, more centralized government. I'm sure Republicans would love it as well.

America, WAKE UP.

Hmmm...good point. I don't think I will be on the fence much longer about this issue. I don't think I want the government in my life any more than it already is.

Good point.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
Just like one does not sell coc aine from their front door, they should not involve themselves in internet crime. Those that do nothing wrong should have nothing to worry about. Unless you are a conspiracist.

Oh dear, really?

I don't do anything wrong if I can help it, but I'm pretty sure just like everyone else, I break laws I don't know about all the time. Heck, I even break laws I know about from time to time - you know, the moronic laws designed solely to keep me stupid, poor and under control.

How about the illegal practice of making medicine from nature and sharing it with loved ones?!

I'm sure you could think of lots of ridiculous laws that turn good, honest, compassionate individuals into criminals for either exploring their own private world or offering help and support to those that request it, amongst other activities.

Did you think this one through? Do you really believe that the law makers and their statutes are always just, fair and righteous? Do you know just how many rules there are that carry the 'force of law'? Here's just one example:

The Federal Registry, which records all of the regulations the federal government imposes on businesses (all of which carry the force of law), now exceeds 75,000 pages.

Have you familiarized yourself with this document to make sure you don't do anything 'wrong'?!?!

Here's some more food for re-assessing your current thoughts on the matter:

According to Silverglate, the average busy professional commits three felonies every day—any of which an ambitious and creative prosecutor could turn into an indictment. Seemingly innocuous activities like using the telephone or e-mail at work, or posting information on Web sites could potentially lead to a federal offense if your tone strikes someone as threatening.

But the problem is not confined to communications. A growing number of attorneys and commentators believe the expansion of criminal laws on the statute books leaves average citizens increasingly vulnerable to arrest and prosecution.

www.thecrimereport.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Not surprised.
Just another Govt Finger closing around the neck of the US Citizen.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Surely to implement this properly in America they would have to route all internet traffic within the country through one (or a group) of government servers which required people to log in every time they wanted to go onto the internet. That's not an easy task.

The infrastructure alone would cost millions if not billions. Spending billions where it's probably not needed isn't going to go down too well in these times. For this reason I imagine it wont get off the ground.

The article states the internet will remain anonymous, which in my opinion is a big pile of BS. The only way to make it work is to monitor all internet traffic and log people through a central database.

Virtual ID cards for online use is what your looking at. Hey there's always a VPN. Surf from another country, thats if they don't block use of those as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Grifter81

Actually, that is a very easy thing to do.
NSA can and does alot of the non-intrusive inspection and routing already.
Think, DNS.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

Actually I never thought of the NSA. If the infrastructure is already in place then they may just plough ahead with it?

As a Bill surely it would come up against some stiff opposition on it's way through? On paper it looks like a blatant infringement of peoples privacy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join