It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Gun Control

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I'm not sure even what an "assault rifle" is. I think it has something to do with its color or the way you hold it something.

Years ago my brother and I each bought a Ruger "Ranch Rifle" an auto-loading carbine in 5.56 mm (or .223 Remington). As near as I figured out that wasn't an "assault rifle".

However, we decide to dress them up so we bought folding stocks with a pistol-grip (which were legal then) 30-round plastic magazines, a 4X Tasco scope, and a black plastic fore-end.

Now the gun didn't shoot any faster or harder, but it looked different, and because of its looks it somehow morphed into an "assault rifle".

I later sold it, because there wasn't anything I wanted to shoot with it (well, okay, maybe an IRS agent, but you know what I mean). When my wife expressed an interest in going out with me to murder Bambi and said she didn't like "kicky" guns (I had a Model 98 Winchester in .30-.30 Win and a Ruger 77 in .30-'06 Spgfld), I bought her a Simonov Self-loading carbine (Samozharyadni Karabin Simonova, or "SKS"). It was heavy, but didn't kick much and she managed to get a doe that dressed out at about 95 lb.

I'm not sure whether the SKS was an "assault rifle", but we ate the deer.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacan
Just whatever happened to the sword? Why does the 2nd ammendment allow me to own, carry, and operate a high-powered rifle but not a broadswoard or an epee? Could someone explain the logic in this?

Its quite simple you can own a broadsword you can buy one I can link you to many places to buy them if you want. What you can't do is walk around with a broadsword just like you cant walk around with a high powered rifle. You can have all the swords you want in your home I have many my self.

You can not carry a high powered rifle. The states in the US issue concealed carry permits concealed is the key word there. You cant conceal a high powered rifle any more then you could a broadsword on you. For home defense you can have all the swords you want not like its going to do you any good in the event someone tries to break into your house.

Never bring a knife or a sword to a gun fight.

[edit on 14-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by para
I am little lost on the sword bit as well. I know a few people who own and operate swords, and I believe that they are doing so legally.

[edit on 9/14/04 by para]

Aprox. nine years ago I had two semi-valuable katana blades confiscated by local police authorities including the one inside my home that I wasn't wearing in public like I was some feudal warlord.

It was for laughs, but anyway, I was never able to recover the swords, because apparently there was a law in place that required some specialized license of which I didn't have, even though I'd never heard of such a thing as a sword license and didn't know how to go about obtaining one.

Even then, it was not legal to carry in public concealed or otherwise and paid a minor fine. I live in Akron, Ohio inside the United States.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacan

I am little lost on the sword bit as well. I know a few people who own and operate swords, and I believe that they are doing so legally.

Aprox. nine years ago I had two semi-valuable katana blades confiscated by local police authorities including the one inside my home that I wasn't wearing in public like I was some feudal warlord.

It was for laughs, but anyway, I was never able to recover the swords, because apparently there was a law in place that required some specialized license of which I didn't have, even though I'd never heard of such a thing as a sword license and didn't know how to go about obtaining one.

Even then, it was not legal to carry in public concealed or otherwise and paid a minor fine. I live in Akron, Ohio inside the United States.

I understand different states have different laws but I have never heard of a case like that. How did they know you had a sword and how did they get into your house?

I own many swords other older weapons In my state there is not law thats prevents you from keeping these in the home. Though I can only carry a knife with a inch and 1/2 blade in public
1 1/2 inches what use is that. The old law was 4 inches I think pre-9/11 days.

Many of the places I buy swords from will have some swords they state can't be shipped to CA,MA never seen Ohio though.

Sorry to hear about your loss of a nice Katana

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The sword in my home they didn't know I had until they searched my home - they were able to obtain a warrant to do this, only because I was carrying in public. This was not a big thing, and I didn't think a lot of it.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
On what I said on Christ - It wasn't about Christ or anything to do with religion. I was using a familiar example to try to get across the hypocrisy I felt in praising weapons while denouncing abortions, and everything else said having to do with aboritions.

I tend to feel that animals and developed humans, who are real, thinking, and tangible beings, are more important as individuals than a fetus that usually will not have developed a conscious mind before it's aborted. At early stages a fetus has not developed a central nervous system let alone a brain.

If it does not have brain function, how is it different from a lump of meat such as your steak or bacon.

I of course don't think that "partial-birth" abortion is very humane, but there are practical reasons as to why the abortion has to remain an option when you consider cases such as rape or child molestation.

It's not very "fair" to the 11 year old kid who has to raise a child that she was unwrongfully impregnated with, nor is it "fair" if both she and the child will likely die from the labor.

What I want to know is: Why isn't it more important to protect porky from being slaughtered than it is to protect a collection of cells from being terminated?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Although a complete departure from the original thread, the thought of why not protect Porky too, deserved some sort of reply.

Of course, the gap starts with faith. For those who do not believe in God, (I am speaking primarliy of a Christian God), then human life is not sacred, etc., etc.

But the argument boils down the same way on both sides, infortunately. IF a pro-choice person concedes that used as a form of birth control, abortion is a-moral, then they risk the chance of having any kind of regulation placed upon it, etc., etc..

IF a pro-life person happens to agree that a victim of rape, incest, or the other, would certainly want the ability to terminate that pregnancy, then they have just compromised their position on the sanctity of life.

NO COMPROMISE!

So since I believe that man has been given dominion and stewardship over the planet (by the way, a charge we have been horrible at maintaining), that means, unfortunately, I can't compromise on the issue of rape and the lot, because it will be said that I have a logic breakdown in my argument. Same holds for the other side of the argument.

Funny thing is, democracy is supposed to be about compromise. But then we get to get in to the fact that there is a separation of church and state, and our Christian morality has no place in the forum of public debate, which is such utter nonsense.

I am so greatful that the mother of my wife decided NOT to abort her! Instead, she was given up for adoption, and life continues.

As for the pork? Cook it up. If that's what you want to eat. When pigs start having debates about their fate, let me know. They grow up, and still can't function in society. A fetus will , however, given the chance.

The Spider

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I have a feeling that he posted in the wrong forum. Everyones done it at one time or another.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I personally think that abortion is wrong, except possibly in the extreme cases mentioned. However, I would never bomb an abortion clinic because of it. I also believe that we will all be held resposible for our actions either in this life or the next, and adding to a cycle of senseless violence such as that does nothing to help anyone.

Sorry to hear about your Katana loss. Were they really able to get a search warrant becuase you were wearing it in public?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Though I can only carry a knife with a inch and 1/2 blade in public 1 1/2 inches what use is that. The old law was 4 inches I think pre-9/11 days

Actually, in CT you can still carry up to a 4" blade legally. The 1 1/2 inch law is in regards to "automatic knives" such as switchblades, auto-stilletos and gravity knives.
I carry a SOG Autoclip with a 3.75" blade every day

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2

Though I can only carry a knife with a inch and 1/2 blade in public 1 1/2 inches what use is that. The old law was 4 inches I think pre-9/11 days

Actually, in CT you can still carry up to a 4" blade legally. The 1 1/2 inch law is in regards to "automatic knives" such as switchblades, auto-stilletos and gravity knives.
I carry a SOG Autoclip with a 3.75" blade every day

Cool I thought the 1 1/2 inch blade was for all knives now. I also might have confused a double bladed knife I think they count each side to the total.

I just got a knife in CT that works on a lever action principle called LEV-R-LOK they are legal to own and they open in a flash. When I first saw it at the store I thought it was a switch blade when the guy at the store opened it.

But they are legal to own and pretty sweet.

I think law enforcement personal can still get switch blades in CT. The guy in the store had them but said he could only sell them to law enforcement.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have a feeling that he posted in the wrong forum. Everyones done it at one time or another.

Are you talking about me? If so, I know what forum I'm posting in. If you look back some posts you'll see that we led into this discussion before I had first replied here.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Sorry to hear about your Katana loss. Were they really able to get a search warrant becuase you were wearing it in public?

Yes really, I don't understand it. Again I don't actually know the 'sword laws' in my state or the federal laws for that matter. I was only speaking from an experience I had which could have entirely been a misunderstanding or even police corruption (very doubtful)

If anyone knows where I could find up-to-date information on such laws...

---------------------------------------------------

I own a lot of strange knives and swords regardless anyway, which I'll openly admit to. Probably relevant to this thread: I also know a guy who has an M60 (I'm assuming illicitly) who likes to fire at cattle when he's driving through the country.

Abortions and guns aren't going away until everyone wants them to, which isn't happening. Probably the best solution is to outright ban both abortion and all weapons from civilian possession - a compromise I could make.

Certain individuals are going to do what they please despite the laws in place. I think our government should be more active in gun control, but they should also be more consistent with 'security' issues like this in general.

And please no more of this Second Ammendment, fight the government stuff. I'll listen to this when I see our licensed H-bombs.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by lacan]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I know this will make me sound stupid but what is a switch blade

[edit on 15-9-2004 by The_Squid]

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join