It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim Tebow.....Why is America so fascinated/disgusted with by him???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by Christosterone

Because....he's trendy. I'd say more people care about sports than the Constitution in this country.

Hahaha....
That is funny....and, sadly, TRUE!!!!

I think sports are a more digestible commodity for the average person...
It is simple...there is a winner and a loser...there are heros and villains (contingent typically on geographic variables)

As related to the Constitution, the average person doesnt have the time to study and understand the abstract concepts put forth by amazingly forward thinking individuals some 230 years ago....
Nor do they have the desire...
And that, sadly, is one of the reasons why so many of our liberties are being surrendered without fight.
One need only package a 15 second ad to sway peoples emotions sufficiently and they will surrender their freedoms voluntarily..

If the average Joe spent as much time studying history as he does studying fantasy football, our American society would still be on the rise....

(Soapbox dismounted)
-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I also don't understand why he's getting so much attention. I could care less about football, so maybe that explains my mindset.

I do know why people hate him though !

Haters 'gon hate.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Exactly. A lot of people(most?) don't know what the Constitution means. Take the 1st Amendment for example, well one aspect of it, that concerning free speech. Too many people think that means you have the right to say what you want, where you want, when you want to. Totally wrong. There are other aspects of the 1st but we're talking about the free speech part. It's about the GOVERNMENT making laws that prohibit free speech. Such as SOPA. If one is here you have computer access. Spend even a tenth of the time online that you use to watch football to learn about the Constitution. Or don't, you'll be pissed off for sure.

That said, GO NINERS!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone
What is shocking to me is that the Denver front office is yet to really confirm his status as the starter of the future.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

If any group anywhere demonstrates a herd mentality, it's US pro sports franchises in general and the NFL in particular. The Broncos aren't going to embrace Tebow until the Common Wisdom says it's the right thing to do. There's way too much risk and money involved to stick your neck out too far.

The NFL lost its last maverick when Al Davis died. There'll be another mold breaker along eventually, and they're the ones who make it interesting when they have success. Like Tebow.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
Wow, no reason to jump down my throat because I disagree with you on something. Insulting me because I hate someone who has no immediate outcome on your life only shows how truly shallow you are as a person.
Yeah, I hate him. So what? Does it make a difference in your life? Nope.

I also hate him because I'm not a Bronco's fan. Born and raised in Colorado, forever a Bengals fan.

First of all, you asked. I answered. Secondly, I still think your reasons are pretty ignorant. I've never liked the Raiders, but I've never "hated" any of them. Hate, is a pretty strong word to use, especially if it's based on someone playing for a team you don't support, or because the media talks about that person more than you care to hear. If a person has the capability to "hate" for such petty things, then I guess it's a reflection on that particular individual more than anything. That's my opinion, and I stand by it.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

You're right. It's a copy cat league, and someone like Tebow doesn't fit into their cookie cutter mold for quarterback.

Al Davis will be missed. I am so thankful that he was part of the AFL, because without him, the team I support (Broncos) would not exist.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Double edged sword. People love him because good things are happening to a good person. People hate him because he gets so much attention for good things happening to a good person. If he gives credit to god, this agnostic says "I couldn't care less." I like the passion he plays the game with.

The agnostic (or I dont know what the heck to call myself ) in me says exactly the same thing...
Though I tend to have immense respect for ANYONE who walks the walk...
And, as far as I can tell, Tebow does this...

What is so intriguing to me is the vitriol hurled at him on almost an hourly basis on sports channels and message boards all over the internet.

I used to believe most people were happy when good people were rewarded...especially when the person didn't act based on the potential for the reward....basically being good for the sake of being good...

And I don't care if good karma visits a Baptist, Catholic, Muslim, Hindi, Buddhist, Atheist, or whatever...
Only that I am happy when good things happen to good people, regardless of their religious affiliation!

-Christosterone

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I hate him cause Im a Florida State fan and he destroyed Bobby Bowdens last game...I have my right to hate him and I will do so for his career.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Pumastar

Probably be cause we don't live in Soviet Union and have the freedom to do so. In case you didn't know, there is a sport forum on this site. Don't like it, you're FREE to not read it. Unless, of course, someone has a gun to your head.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

These people would rather have Ray Lewis stabbing people at clubs, or Jamal Lewis with pounds of drugs in his care. That's who they look up to. It's a thug's life, I suppose. Roethlisberger didn't get this much grief after raping multiple women (allegedly).

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pumastar
WHO THE HELL CARES! Why would you come on a website talking about sports when there's about 100% more important content you could be caring about?

I am not on here talking about sports per se.
Moreso our society's fascination with an individual.

The reason I came on this site is because the members of THIS SITE are the most thoughtful people on the internet and I am INTERESTED in their opinions on a variety of issues.

Hope that helps.

-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I think it is less "Tim" and and more the opportunity to sound off about ones believes after Timmy has opened the door. Why is it such a big deal that he publically prays? Muslims publically pray too. There is nothing wrong with him being the person he is. It is a big deal because he is out there too far to flagrantly sensor. He is not an actor in movies that they can just stop giving parts too.
You are asking about a country, historically based in a christian majority, who does not have the cohonies (sp) to speak up when a person with foreign beleifs is offended and asks for someone to not even speak the national "pledge of alleigance." No one ever said; "one nation under a christian god" it has always been, "one nation under god!" So, where is the courage of this country? That is why it is a big deal because the same squeeky wheels are loud and proud about this discernment of Tebow's beleifs.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
People in sports love bandwagons and there riding Tim Tebows wagon.
Tims a great guy unlike some athletes who use drugs to inhance
there play or get in trouble with the law.

edit on 10-1-2012 by driveshaft08 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

Wow, no reason to jump down my throat because I disagree with you on something. Insulting me because I hate someone who has no immediate outcome on your life only shows how truly shallow you are as a person.
Yeah, I hate him. So what? Does it make a difference in your life? Nope.

I also hate him because I'm not a Bronco's fan. Born and raised in Colorado, forever a Bengals fan.

First of all, you asked. I answered. Secondly, I still think your reasons are pretty ignorant. I've never liked the Raiders, but I've never "hated" any of them. Hate, is a pretty strong word to use, especially if it's based on someone playing for a team you don't support, or because the media talks about that person more than you care to hear. If a person has the capability to "hate" for such petty things, then I guess it's a reflection on that particular individual more than anything. That's my opinion, and I stand by it.

Again with the insults. If you want me to take you seriously, stop insulting me first.

I have met Tim Tebow in person, and he's definitely not the saint everyone thinks he is. He's a down-right asshole in person when you meet him on the street.
That's one of the main reasons I hate him.
And so what if I hate him because I'm a fan of an opposing team? Does it make a difference in your life? No, it doesn't. I'm free to hate whoever I want.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I think everyone in Denver's front office, including Elway, put Tebow in the starting role hoping he'd fail and they could call it a mistake made by the last administration and move on. Then Tebow starts winning.

Oops.

I love it.

McDaniels doesn't look like such a dimwit now, does he? And guess who New England just brought back onto their staff? Former Denver head coach and Tebow championer extraordinaire, Josh McDaniels.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Then Tebow starts winning.

It's not /just/ Tebow winning. It's the entire team winning.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Again with the insults. If you want me to take you seriously, stop insulting me first.

I have met Tim Tebow in person, and he's definitely not the saint everyone thinks he is. He's a down-right asshole in person when you meet him on the street.
That's one of the main reasons I hate him.
And so what if I hate him because I'm a fan of an opposing team? Does it make a difference in your life? No, it doesn't. I'm free to hate whoever I want.

You're absolutely right that you are free to hate whoever you want, for whatever reason you choose. Hell, the KKK is free to hate black people because they're black. It's a freedom you have, and I won't ever want to take that away from you. However, I still have the right to think you're shallow, petty, and anything else. Isn't freedom grand?

I'd love to see some evidence of your claim. Maybe he was s dick because you were holding a sign saying, "You mom should have aborted you." or something? Just kidding. Seriously, what were the circumstances? I have never met the guy in person, but it seems to me that he has done a lot for people less fortunate.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

It's not /just/ Tebow winning. It's the entire team winning.

But were they before he was the starter?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Tebow is to football as a retard is to MENSA...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join