It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church No Longer Sewars By Truth of the Bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
GOOD FOR THEM! Seriously though ... I'm pretty sure that for a very long time they've said it's not a literal truth and that in many places it's story telling ... but still ... GOOD FOR THEM! It's pretty obvious right from Genesis that the bible can't be taken totally literally .. two different creation myths point that out right at the start.

sueliz1.wordpress.com...

THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true.

The Catholic bishops of England, Wales and Scotland are warning their five million worshippers, as well as any others drawn to the study of scripture, that they should not expect “total accuracy” from the Bible.

“We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision,” they say in The Gift of Scripture

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
somehow i'm not to surprised in this.

;-0

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So you're tellin me that Adam and Eve - and their two sons - DIDN'T spawn the rest of humanity?!

Well now I've heard everything

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Colossians 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And I thought that I was the one that had to reveal the Anti-christ. Guess they were willing to self reveal. Call me crazy but we are in the end times.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Wow
I hope this causes a few people I know to chill out a bit.

Sadly though, it will probably just make them angry.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This comes as a surprise? The Roman Catholic church has abandoned biblical teachings long... LONG before any of us were born. This is just the newest thang

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Psalms 119:160
Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Contrary to the endorsement of the great whore of Babylon...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I guess one would have to provide that the Roman Catholic Church ever truley belived in the bible to begin with and that would be a very hard thing to do ...peace

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
WOW. The article states specifically that they refute the book of Revelations ...

That book in concert with Daniel are perhaps the most damning pieces of evidence which explicitly point to the Catholic church as the anti-christ.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder what there motive is by saying this?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rumor21

Hmmm, I wonder what there motive is by saying this?

They are going to write a new bible of course.

One with truthiness.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

the " god of the gaps " retreats still further

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Based on what the nuns who taught me said (for the most part), The Bible is "true," just not literal truth. At least that's what the nice ones reasoned so they wouldn't have to beat/punish me like the mean ones did when I'd question things.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

What do they say about all the archeological evidence that has been found and correlates with the bible.?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hmmm...the most attacked yet best-selling book ever is under fire once again and this time by the Catholic Church?

Hmmm...none of the other 'religious' books get that kind of attention. Ya know?

Now that could be because the Bible is more 'evil' than those other religious works, or it could be a case of 'where there's smoke there's fire!

I say the message is under obvious attack, and that begs the question of why?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by nickneal7
somehow i'm not to surprised in this.

;-0

I'm very surprised by this.. that they would actually admit it and put it down on paper.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
May I attempt to clear up a few points of confusion? If you want to read a critique of the paper mentioned in the OP go here, but it's a long read: Critique of Gift of Scripture

The document is nearly seven years old, this is not news. It was not produced or published by the Catholic Church, just the Bishops of England, Wales, and Scotland (not a traditionally Catholic area). It is opposed by traditional Church teaching. Some comments from the Critique I mentioned above: About the document mentioned in the OP

The document does contain some true teaching about the Bible, along with a few grievous errors against the faith. . . .
this document contains clear contradictions of established Catholic doctrine.
About authentic Catholic teaching:

Those divinely revealed realities which are contained and presented in Sacred Scripture have been committed to writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. For holy mother Church, relying on the belief of the Apostles (see John 20:31; 2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Peter 1:19-20, 3:15-16), holds that the books of both the Old and New Testaments in their entirety, with all their parts, are sacred and canonical because written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, they have God as their author and have been handed on as such to the Church herself. In composing the sacred books, God chose men and while employed by Him they made use of their powers and abilities, so that with Him acting in them and through them, they, as true authors, consigned to writing everything and only those things which He wanted.

Therefore, since everything asserted by the inspired authors or sacred writers must be held to be asserted by the Holy Spirit, it follows that the books of Scripture must be acknowledged as teaching solidly, faithfully and without error that truth which God wanted put into sacred writings for the sake of salvation. Therefore 'all Scripture is divinely inspired and has its use for teaching the truth and refuting error, for reformation of manners and discipline in right living, so that the man who belongs to God may be efficient and equipped for good work of every kind' (2 Tim. 3:16-17, Greek text).

Hope this helps. The Church is not teaching that the Bible contains errors.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jessejamesxx

A little digging as to what that group has put down on paper in the past shoul not suprise anyone ...Just check out the Jesuit order and other bodies of the Roman Catholic Church ....peace

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

or better yet sit back and let a professor explain it to us .... The Man Behind The Mask amazingdiscoveries.tv... peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join