It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skipper Chosen for "100 Year Starship"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Who can take a guy with a bowl cut and that silly mustache seriously anyway?

Jews...........

As to the OP, Interesting find, i too find it a bit sensationalist, but the prospect is interesting......

I just dont understand why the pentagon is doing this study, they gutted NASA for anything manned, and now we have to rely on the russians and their iffy system to get us into orbit......

I think private industries need to be doing this study, keep those sabatoging bastards at the pentagon out of it as much as possible, we all know that wont turn out well

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

reply to post by FortAnthem

I just dont understand why the pentagon is doing this study, they gutted NASA for anything manned, and now we have to rely on the russians and their iffy system to get us into orbit......

Great point. Star for you.

I am still frustrated from this administration killing our return mission to the moon.....

Why is our space program going backwards?

And hitching rides with anyone, let alone Russia, is ridiculous considering our proud space faring tradition...

-Chris

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i agree. can you imagine earthlings sputtering across the solar system in a piece of junk holding up traffic.

you look out your view portal and you see the grey's and reptilians holding champagne out the window zooming by back and forth to earth in seconds.

and you're stuck there in year 40 changing diapers in zero g's. to make things more demoralizing you just passed neptune.

edit on 9-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Along those lines...

During the Cold War, US and Russian strategic bombers would frequently be flying "racetrack" patterns very near each other out over the ocean near Alaska. Wingtip to wingtip in unofficial formation flying, the US B-52 crews were used to seeing the Russian "Bear" pilots and crew all bundled up against the cold in their inadequately heated aircraft. So, one of the US crews made it a point to be seen at the window in shirt sleeves eating ice cream cones for their next encounter.

But to get back on topic...

Kirk and not Picard.

And to really get back to the topic...

The story is about a concept study and not a mission to actually be crewed.

You can imagine how experiments to explore necessary technology (e.g., artificial gravity, cosmic ray shielding, water purification, and such) will be requested for such a project; but no real intention for building such a craft exists at present.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Frira

"Along those lines...

During the Cold War, US and Russian strategic bombers would frequently be flying "racetrack" patterns very near each other out over the ocean near Alaska. Wingtip to wingtip in unofficial formation flying, the US B-52 crews were used to seeing the Russian "Bear" pilots and crew all bundled up against the cold in their inadequately heated aircraft. So, one of the US crews made it a point to be seen at the window in shirt sleeves eating ice cream cones for their next encounter."

Reminds me of the cat & mouse games our subs played during the Cold War.

And while, yes, this is in its infancy and they are only experiments and studies, it remains a step in the right direction. So many people feared our interest in space with disappear with the shuttle program. This gives me hope that our interest in space exploration will continue.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911
reply to post by Frira

"Along those lines...

During the Cold War, US and Russian strategic bombers would frequently be flying "racetrack" patterns very near each other out over the ocean near Alaska. Wingtip to wingtip in unofficial formation flying, the US B-52 crews were used to seeing the Russian "Bear" pilots and crew all bundled up against the cold in their inadequately heated aircraft. So, one of the US crews made it a point to be seen at the window in shirt sleeves eating ice cream cones for their next encounter."

Reminds me of the cat & mouse games our subs played during the Cold War.

And while, yes, this is in its infancy and they are only experiments and studies, it remains a step in the right direction. So many people feared our interest in space with disappear with the shuttle program. This gives me hope that our interest in space exploration will continue.

True-- but many who feared that seem to be unaware of the "Orion" MPCV. The first capsule for launch is already being constructed. That one will be unmanned, because it is for testing-- but the Orion MPCV is funded and happening.

It looks like Apollo on steroids-- and unlike Apollo-- will not be mission specific. It CAN be the major part of returning to the Moon; but also Mars, asteroids, and other "deep space" (beyond Low Earth Oribit) manned missions.

It almost certainly will include missions to explore ultra-long space habitation-- designed to be able to assist in accomplishing exactly that and the "Nautilus X" artificial gravity module concept will likely be seen in conjunction with Orion missions.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I just dont understand why the pentagon is doing this study, they gutted NASA for anything manned

If you subscribe to the theory that the "true" space program is operated by the U.S. Navy and Not NASA this becomes more clear.

Navy Space Command...

SPAWAR...

Who Owns the Moon...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i agree. can you imagine earthlings sputtering across the solar system in a piece of junk holding up traffic.

you look out your view portal and you see the grey's and reptilians holding champagne out the window zooming by back and forth to earth in seconds.

and you're stuck there in year 40 changing diapers in zero g's. to make things more demoralizing you just passed neptune.

edit on 9-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

OMG, I just spit my coffee all over my keyboard !

That visual was friggin' hilarious... I'm picturing the Clampetts puttering along in their Chitty Chitty Bang Bang while The Jetsons zip on by going in the other direction waving a friendly "hello" to the neanderthals holding up traffic in the right lane.

Thanks for the laugh !

edit on 10-1-2012 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

OMG... like the Berverley Hill Billys in outer space ,.....lolol " Looks at those pathetic Human hill billys from the Terran system , it should be illeagal to alow simians in space , there gose the parsec " Next thing you know they'll want as seat on the interstellar council !
edit on 10-1-2012 by OpusMarkII because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2012 by OpusMarkII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
*** ATTENTION ***

This thread isn't about who you would choose as the "skipper"

Please stay on topic.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Getting back on track, check out this website on the 100 Year Starship Study by DARPA. It included the agenda for the public symposium in September. I would have loved to attend this conference!

100 Year Starship Study...

Some of the topics included:

-Time Distance Solutions (propulsion & starship technologies)
-Biology & Space Medicine
-Education, Social, & Economic and Legal Considerations

Sounds like they had some great speakers too!

The 100 Year Starship™ (100YSS™) study is an effort seeded by DARPA to develop a viable and sustainable model for persistent, long-term, private-sector investment into the myriad of disciplines needed to make long-distance space travel practicable and feasible.

The genesis of this study is to foster a rebirth of a sense of wonder among students, academia, industry, researchers and the general population to consider "why not" and to encourage them to tackle whole new classes of research and development related to all the issues surrounding long duration, long distance spaceflight.

DARPA contends that the useful, unanticipated consequences of such research will have benefit to the Department of Defense and to NASA, as well as the private and commercial sector.

edit on 10-1-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
For those not familar...

Page 1 News Release Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency 3701 North Fairfax Drive Arlington, VA 22203-1714 IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 28, 2010 DARPA/NASA Seek to Inspire Multigenerational Research and Development Throughout history technical challenges have inspired generations to achieve scientific breakthroughs of lasting impact. Several decades ago, for instance, the race to the moon sparked a global excitement surrounding space exploration that persists to this day. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and the NASA Ames Research Center have teamed together to take the first step in the next era of space exploration—a journey between the stars. The 100-Year Starship study will examine the business model needed to develop and mature a technology portfolio enabling long-distance manned space flight a century from now. This goal will require sustained investments of intellectual and financial capital from a variety of sources. The year- long study aims to develop a construct that will incentivize and facilitate private co-investment to ensure continuity of the lengthy technological time horizon needed. “The 100-Year Starship study is about more than building a spacecraft or any one specific technology,” said Paul Eremenko, DARPA coordinator for the study. “We endeavor to excite several generations to commit to the research and development of breakthrough technologies and cross-cutting innovations across a myriad of disciplines such as physics, mathematics, biology, economics, and psychological, social, political and cultural sciences, as well as the full range of engineering disciplines to advance the goal of long-distance space travel, but also to benefit mankind.” DARPA also anticipates that the advancements achieved by such technologies will have substantial relevance to Department of Defense (DoD) mission areas including propulsion, energy storage, biology/life support, computing, structures, navigation, and others. Beyond the DoD and NASA, these investments will reinvigorate private entrepreneurs, the engineering and scientific community, and the world’s youth in a bold quest for the stars. The 100-Year Starship study looks to develop the business case for an enduring organization designed to incentivize breakthrough technologies enabling future spaceflight. -END

DARPA.Mil Source

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
We can't even get along with our very own species. How do you think we'll cope out there in space with others who are far more different?

Until we unite as one race, the Human race, no one will want us out there jeopardizing some intergalactic war.
We have a long ways to go before we'll be accepted into the 'space family'.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Dr. Mae Jemison had better get that 100-Year Starship going soon - they are already falling behind.

"160 Billion Alien Planets May Exist in Our Milky Way Galaxy"
www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
So... will the 100-Year Starship include NASA/GM humanoid Robonauts, among it's human crewmembers? Or will they be Japan's androids? Or both?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
We can't even get along with our very own species. How do you think we'll cope out there in space with others who are far more different?

Until we unite as one race, the Human race, no one will want us out there jeopardizing some intergalactic war.
We have a long ways to go before we'll be accepted into the 'space family'.

I understand your point, and it would be great if, as a species, "we could all get along." But I don't think its necessary for all of us to get along to exist. We shouldn't be committing wars, genocide, or homicides, but a little disagreement is a good thing. Our differences as a species makes us unique. If everyone agreed and shared the same opinions life would be boring, the world would be mundance. We don't need to get along, we just need to stop killing each other.

If we are to believe everything on this site about the different races and species of aliens, they certainly aren't getting along, right? It sounds like the "space family" has a few "red headed step children" of their own. Maybe that's what we'll be, the "Red Headed Step Children of the Galaxy!"

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

They aren't designing or building an actual starship. The point of the program if I understand it correctly is to study what kind of technologies would be needed, and to promote development of those technologies.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Lost in space or lost on Earth, we must look into this Pentagon operation.
Talk about Lyne and his "Pentagon Aliens" this beats the cake.
Well nothing like being prepared for the next 100 years.

I can only think of going back to the Lunar Lander Conspiracy to see
if that is still alive.

I hope they take a 36" thick hull space ship this time that Tesla recommended.
ED: Ships of the speed and hulls needed to make this 100 year trip go in
perhaps a year has only been suggested to be from Tesla and thus unknown
to the Pentagon due to copyright I would imagine.

edit on 1/18/2012 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join