It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skipper Chosen for "100 Year Starship"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The Pentagon's think tank has selected the group that will manage its "100 Year Starship" project to explore what it would take for a multigenerational mission beyond the solar system, and sources say the leader will be Mae Jemison, who became the first black woman in space in 1992.

DARPA has not yet publicly announced the selection, and my efforts to contact the agency's representatives have been unsuccessful so far. But after the BBC's story, the report was confirmed on the Centauri Dreams blog by Paul Gilster, who is affiliated with the Tau Zero Foundation. Gilster said Jemison's organization "now takes on the challenge of building a program that can last 100 years, and might one day result in a starship."

It seems they have selected a very capable commander. In addition to being an astronaut, Jemison is a physician as well.

The BBC identified the ex-astronaut as Jemison, based on the text of an unreleased letter from DARPA. It also reported that Jemison's foundation was teaming up with two other groups, Icarus Interstellar and the Foundation for Enterprise Development.

Skipper Chosen for Starship Effort

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
These are the stories that give me real faith in human life vs. the universe.

If theres any spare seats, one for my kid please

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
These are the stories that give me real faith in human life vs. the universe.

If theres any spare seats, one for my kid please

It gives me promise that we have not forsaken space exploration in light of the retiring of our space shuttle fleet.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

no offence to you - you are only sharing info from other wesites but " skipper chossen for 100 year starship " is sensationalistic nonsense

she is going to be the manager of a feasability study - doesnt sound as grandiose - but it has that ring of accuracy

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ever heard of the game Spore?

I think this game really got the piont of life in this universe for me; the aim being to leave your original rock for space, for exploration, for breeding and because its there!

Meet you at the restaurant at the end universe for debreif and cocktails

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
i doubt it will happen. are you supposed to fly out into space and spend decades floating around a cramped cabin for 50 years, raise children and teach them how to get back to earth.

it's sounds like a form of torture instead of space exploration.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

And whats so great about our planet anyway?

Would you miss the macdonalds cheeseburgers?

Id take a ticket on a spaceship with a multi hundred year voyage, even if i was the janitor, id be doing more there than i feel like i could do here on earth to be honest, for human kind anyway.

I see space exploration of this type, as a large vessel, with gardens, recyclable water, food, waste etc.

Though the one crushing thought about exploring the closest solar systems in this manner, is that after 2 or 3 generations of life a far newer warp capable ship speeds past you!! Gutted!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I misread the title and thought it said "Stripper Chosen for 100 Year Starship". Sometimes my brain likes to up the ante a bit.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
i doubt it will happen. are you supposed to fly out into space and spend decades floating around a cramped cabin for 50 years, raise children and teach them how to get back to earth.

it's sounds like a form of torture instead of space exploration.

Space Exploration isn't easy
You think the colonies sailed to America in luxurious yatch's drinking the finest wine?

Thats the problem with post 2000 humans, we are afraid to leave our comfort zone.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
i agree. can you imagine earthlings sputtering across the solar system in a piece of junk holding up traffic.

you look out your view portal and you see the grey's and reptilians holding champagne out the window zooming by back and forth to earth in seconds.

and you're stuck there in year 40 changing diapers in zero g's. to make things more demoralizing you just passed neptune.

edit on 9-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaOwl

Agree'd to the maximum. We all want to make it safely to death. Kinda ironic.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

the real question is - if mussolini was in charge - would the starships run on time

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
With the loss of the space shuttle program many people feared our interest in space exploration was at an end. Granted, NASA may have an increased reliance on foreign countries to get their astronauts into space, but does that matter?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Don't give up yet!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join