It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faster then Light Travel ??? Facts and Theories...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
A jet? From Galaxy what? Pretty odd find eh.

Nice avator that pic brings back good memories

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It also seems a pulse of light that enters a transparent chamber filled with caesium gas reaches speeds 300 times the normal speed of light.
300 times thats fast.

According to the researchers, the main part of the light pulse leaves the far side of the chamber even before it enters at the near side!

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Maybe a jet from a quasar

Quasars can outshine a trillion suns

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
So how long would it take a Grey to get to earth? Would it be instantaniously?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I think thats like asking how many angels could fit on the head of a pin.

Without knowing where they are comming from and what type of Transportation they use it would really be a wild guess.

If they bend space though I dont think it wouldnt really matter how far away they came from it would happen instantenously with enough power. And if they can travel far faster then light to them the trip might seem like a few seconds but for us 100s of years might have passed. They might not even travel from another planet but might be from another dimension or time.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
As you get closer to the speed of light, time slows down. According to the theory of relativity, you can not go the speed of light. You can, however, go faster then the speed of light (at least in theory). The question then becomes, how do you make the instant jump from sublight speed to superlight speed.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I checked the other posts you made (I hope you don't mind) to see if you really are John Lear...and it seems that you are! Anyway, that aside.
I saw a Bob Lazar video a number of years ago explaining the gravity principle and element 115 and ever since then I have always had the feeling that it was true. Although I wouldn't be totally surprised if it wasn't that is something I will never probably know with certainty anyway. John Lear--have you ever been asked to participate in a question and answer discussion on this website and is that possible? This question is directed to all relevant people who could make that happen. If you would rather not participate in such a thing, could I bother you to post links to material that best represents what you feel is the truth? And do you know where to find videos like the ones with Bob Lazar explaining element 115 and the ARV's? Thanks so much!

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I�m no engineer or scientist or authority by any stretch of the imagination (my degree was in math), so if my ignorance abounds, then that�s my excuse. www.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

First of all, it should be noted that while Einstein's theory of special relativity prevents real mass, energy, or information from traveling �through free space� faster than the speed of light, there�s nothing preventing "apparent" motion faster than light speed as long as there�s no energy or information transferred.

Traveling at superluminal (faster-than-light/FTL) speed violates the usual understanding of the "flow" of time. As I understand it, IF you were able to achieve superluminal speed, you would effectively travel backward in time. So, theoretically, you could end up arriving where you started before you left.

There is a class of particles called tachyons that apparently violate Dr. Einstein�s speed limit. Tachyons have some strange properties. For instance, when they lose energy, they gain speed. Therefore, when tachyons gain energy, they slow down. The slowest speed possible for tachyons is the speed of light. If tachyons indeed exist, then their existence would seem to challenge special relativity. Strange, huh?

At any rate, different ideas have come about in an attempt to find loopholes in relativity and the universal speed limit. One of the more interesting ideas in my view is the Alcubierre Warp Drive propulsion system suggested by Mexican theoretical physicist Miguel Alcubierre. His idea entails a propulsion system that would expand spacetime behind the starship and contract spacetime in front of it. The starship itself would simply sit in a locally flat region of spacetime bounded by a �warp (space) bubble�. The bubble would travel along at an arbitrary rate of speed as spacetime expands behind it and contracts in front of it (relativity addresses the motion of mass, energy and information within space, and not the motion of space itself - there�s no known limit on how fast �space itself� can travel). Relative to the warp bubble the ship would be at rest and would therefore be immune to the effects of acceleration, deceleration and the relativistic effect of time dilation. This method is clever in that faster than light travel is achieved without violating any of the principles of relativity.

Here are a couple links for more info on the Alcubierre Warp Drive:

www.npl.washington.edu...

www.astro.cf.ac.uk...

Taking a different approach, you might consider the following:

It�s been shown that the intrinsic impedance of free space is analogous to the impedance in an electronic circuit. The logic used in antenna design is based on that analogy.

Taking that idea a bit further, it�s been suggested that the permittivity and permeability of free space are analogous to the capacitance and inductance, respectively, of a tuned circuit. In this case, the speed of light (approx 3E^5 meters/sec) would be analogous to the resonant frequency of a tuned circuit.

Assuming the above, the question is, can a region of free space be EFFECTIVELY tuned to different resonant speeds by manipulating it somehow?

If Einstein was correct in that a mass cannot be accelerated to light speed, could we perhaps "cheat" by bringing DOWN the effective speed of light in a given volume of space?

It would seem that by manipulating electromagnetic properties in certain ways, then perhaps we might be able to alter the properties of a region of space. If we could do that, then we might be able to perform all sorts of exotic magical tricks.

Sorry, no links for the above. It comes from my general knowledge of the topic and my own thoughts regarding it.

That�s my limited contribution to the faster-than-light (FTL) subject. I doubt it answered any questions. Hopefully, though, it at least raised a few � www.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

[edit on 9/12/2004 by netbound]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
hummm nice post, i too have heard of the Alcubierre Warp Drive (lol discovery channel) it does makes sence but i heard it has some flaws... anyway its a good idea. also tachyons are too just theorys ... for now...

ROFL anyone know how are real UFO goes faster then light??? lol

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm no astrophysisist...but I know what I like! And I think the way you could travel faster than the speed of light...(in that you'd be getting to a far off place before it) would be the old "go through a worm hole method." This seems like a logical explanation because not only would you be outdoing the luminal little bastard - but by disappearing from the 4D space time continuim and into the 5th dimension via a black hole, your mass AND weight would effectively vanish....although I reckon some scientist somewhere would still be able to track it down because they say that most of the universe's weight is unaccounted for...so maybe they can detect that which is locked in other dimensions - the dark stuff. Matter that is.

Soooo anyway - that's a possible way to get rid of your mass and beat light in the space race. Isn't it? Or is it?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
hummm im going to do some more research and post if i find anything good, hehe keep the ideas coming

p.s. if u go through an WH your not going faster then light, your just traveling a smaller distance like say a couple of kilometers through the tunnel, but the ends (of the tunnels) are many light years away, so ur just taking cosmic shortcut. hummm i dont know if ur mass or weight would change, but then again im no expert...

[edit on 12-9-2004 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ishivaji
I checked the other posts you made (I hope you don't mind) to see if you really are *********...and it seems that you are! Anyway, that aside.
I saw a Bob Lazar video a number of years ago explaining the gravity principle and element 115 and ever since then I have always had the feeling that it was true. Although I wouldn't be totally surprised if it wasn't that is something I will never probably know with certainty anyway. *********--have you ever been asked to participate in a question and answer discussion on this website and is that possible? This question is directed to all relevant people who could make that happen. If you would rather not participate in such a thing, could I bother you to post links to material that best represents what you feel is the truth? And do you know where to find videos like the ones with Bob Lazar explaining element 115 and the ARV's? Thanks so much!

Regarding a question and answer discussion-anytime. I will check and see if that video is still availalbe...they used to be sold by Gene Huff and Tri-Dot.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that Gravity is instantaneous throughout the universe. It is possible to hook up a phone to a gravity wave and have instant communications to the farthest reaches of the universe.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i added a link... this is the same idea i had a couple of years ago, but this guy did the calculations and the junk for the idea... i just thought about it. lol what luck i found this site

www.blachford.info...

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Perhaps the propulsion system of the craft could effectively achieve a 'perceived' zero mass by manipulating the effect of the Higgs Boson particle? I've heard they have preliminarily detected this elusive little guy in larger particle accelerators. In fact, supposedly they have defined four types of HB particles, much like quarks.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think you are trying to make this more complicated than it is. You don't need to achieve zero mass to achieve a speed of hundreds of times the speed of light if you can manipulate space/time.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
But how would websters know about it?

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Webster's was simply reporting a measured speed of a 'jet' of material found escaping the supermassive black hole at the center of the cited galaxy. Not so far fetched, really. Superheated gasses and mass ejected from something that powerful would naturally trend toward a violation of known physics and relativity. I mean, let's consider the fact that the singularity at the center of these black holes is basically the antithesis of every known law we can dream up. Why not eject matter at such speeds to violate relativity?

This makes me wonder: Could zero point energy achieve the required needs of superluminal velocities? Or the use of manufactured singularities that could be kept reasonably stable? Maybe we could manipulate space/time by using an object that breaks the continuum down at the atomic level.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
If time were to stop at the speed of light, then wouldnt that mean that time would go backwards at faster than the speed of light?

Edit- Bah netbound beat me to it

[edit on 9/12/2004 by SirKillallott]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by everlastingnoitall

This makes me wonder: Could zero point energy achieve the required needs of superluminal velocities? Or the use of manufactured singularities that could be kept reasonably stable? Maybe we could manipulate space/time by using an object that breaks the continuum down at the atomic level.

Let's use Occam's razor:

Amplify gravity to warp time/space.

Use an object to break down time/space at the atomic level to manipulate time/space.

Zero point energy is a theory, only a theory and will never be anything but a theory IMHO. Nick Cook's book "Search for Zero Point" was an entertaining waste of time and typically British:

(Cook summing the evidence) "It has to be!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join