It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this sound like a scam to any of you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Hey Everyone,

I was minding my own business while grocery shopping two weeks ago. A guy walked up to me and told me he and his wife just moved from Chicago to the area and wanted to know some information about the area. He also asked a good deal of information on me. Despite this, he seemed like a nice guy so I offered to give him my number so he can ask me for more info on the area.

Today, he called and I assumed he wanted to know some decent bars around the area. Instead of that, he asked me if I am currently employed. I said no, and he told me about a business opportunity he can offer me. He owns a business in Chicago that prepares large companies for the internet and wants to expand to my area. It's part-time and doesn't pay... Before he can invite me to a seminar this Tuesday, He wants me to log onto his website at a specific time to watch an orientation video.

I may be paranoid, but this doesn't sound legitimate. My entire family works in internet security and firewalls and this could be a scam to hack my network or identity even. Does this sound like a scam to any of you?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AshyLenses

Some guy comes up to you out of the blue and wants to "do business"? I say scam.
It's part time and doesn't pay? Well there ya go.

link   

When in doubt, always follow your gut.

link   

Block his number and delete his contact. Scam. Creepy as hell too.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
To be honest I would just stay away from shady offers like this....they usually don't end up good

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I was minding my own business while grocery shopping two weeks ago. A guy walked up to me and told me he and his wife just moved from Chicago to the area and wanted to know some information about the area. He also asked a good deal of information on me. Despite this, he seemed like a nice guy so I offered to give him my number so he can ask me for more info on the area.

Yes. I read the rest, but just from this part alone it screams scam.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

If your entire family works in "internet security" then why do you just log into the webinar on a virtual machine that's running Linux?

Problem solved.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Yes, yes it does. It's very suspicious, if it were me I would stay away from them. BUT... I'm very paranoid. In any case, just be careful and don't go through with anything you don't feel sure of.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
If it's too good to be true then it probably is.

In this case, if it seems a far fetched and untrustworthy situation then it probably is.

Hasn't happened to me, but does sound sketchy, beware!
edit on 8-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: sp

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

He's running something illegal. I heard something of a similar scam in Russia. I cant remember the details but this sounds shady bro, avoid it. He could also just be a lead generator but I say avoid it like herpes.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
If your "entire family works in internet security and firewalls" then some one should be able to look him up through his IP and probably even Lexus Nexis. Ask them to do so. You should already have the name of his business etc; so look all of that up. Call the Better Business Bureau too (is that even still active today?).

Sounds like you should look into some physical security at home though.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I recommend avoiding it.
Doesn't pay? Why would you want to work for free?
Why would you even want to watch some webinar for free?

When I was doing IT consulting, I ran into people like this all the time. I told them I'd be happy to spend how ever much time at whatever they wanted me to do, but, I required a billing address because no matter what I'm doing, I'm billing them per hour.

Fake job interviews are also an easy way for scammers to get your social security number to take over your identity, or create false identity with your information to get 'accidentally' dropped when they rob a bank, or something.

How often do you hear about stupid criminals leaving their IDs behind? Often enough, these IDs getting left behind are fakes or duplicates made from completely innocent people as means of misdirection.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Sounds scammy.
What large companies are not already using the internet?
I would just be careful and don't take any chances.
Just think about this way if you knew a way to make easy money would you go around telling strangers about it.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I THINK I know EXACTLY what this is! I had an experience exactly like this not too long ago. Nothing is a scam if nothing is required of you.......He's just wanting you to attend a seminar. It's a pyramid scheme though, yes, you can make money, but it requires a ton of work and no guarantees.......The one I was invited in on was a internet shopping website. You would purchase most of your household items off the website and sign up everyone possible to do the same. As those people sign other people up the pyramid continues to grow and you make a percentage based on however many people you have beneath you. It's fast money, but doesnt last. That guy's NOT new in town, I almost guarantee it. They taught us tons of one-liners to pick peoples numbers off of them.......its actually quite ingenius. I never got good vibes off the people in the "cult like" group.....so I hit the road after the 2nd meeting.......my suggestion.....DONT BOTHER!! Remember, I warned you
Lol could you make money, sure, most likely it wont be worth the trouble.......keep us informed!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshyLenses
I said no, and he told me about a business opportunity he can offer me. He owns a business in Chicago that prepares large companies for the internet and wants to expand to my area. It's part-time and doesn't pay...

I don't understand, why would you want a job that doesn't pay? I would understand if you were doing volunteer work for the poor or something, but why would you want to work for free for some guy that's just expanding his business (even assuming it's not a scam, which it probably is)?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Sounds like something that happened to me many years ago.

I was in the grocery store,a nice couple comes up to me saying that they remembered me from high school.
I didn't recognize them but bought into there story about a way to make money.
They asked me to come to this meeting that they were going to,risk free.
It was Amway.
Run away !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982
[more

And THATS what I'm talkin about!!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for your replies! I knew it was shady and downright creepy, but I needed some more opinions on the matter. Since I can't block numbers on my phone, I changed his ringtone to 30 seconds of silence.

Thanks again and keep your eyes open!

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
What Company does you family work internet security for?

I'm cancelling my subscription. I'll take my chances.

Sheesh.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

My family and their area of work has nothing to do with this guy who approached me. He was just a random person in a grocery store, so you can rest easy with your internet security provider... Just be aware if a similar situation happens to you!

Take care

edit on 9-1-2012 by AshyLenses because: edited for clarity

top topics

join