It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing plectrums.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've heard of disappearing object phenomena, I guess this falls into that category.

Kinda interested in some paranormal stuff, whether real or not it's interesting, i guess...when I read other peoples DOP experiences I find them a tad uninteresting, but I'd still like to relate my own experiences, mostly with missing plectrums...don't laugh.

I don't know what to make of it, it's kinda been happening for a couple of years. It sounds stupid at first but it's getting more irritating than anything so I no longer find it funny or even slightly whimsical.

As you might have guessed I play guitar, like most people who do play I've a collection of plectrums and tend to find one that suits my playing style. I like really thin, flexible plectrums. Anyway, it seems that no matter which of my collection of plectrums I opt to use, it soon disappears never to be seen again, I know they're small and easy to lose but it's getting ridiculous now.

To begin with I was quite amused by it and assumed I was putting them in odd places and simply forgetting, it got to the stage I'd lost all of my flexible picks and left with chunky, rigid ones I don't like very much. As it happened more and more I started to think I was losing my mind, got to the point I'd be searching frantically and saying out aloud in a frustrated voice "I know for a fact I left it right here!?".

As it went on I became more and more vigilant, yet still it continues to happen. As an instance -- one time I was sitting at the edge of my bed with a really thin, purple pick with a good moulded grip, really nice...I dropped it on the floor right at my foot...even heard it hit the floor, there's nowhere it could have gone..yet it disappeared, I haven't seen it since.

Another time I was playing and decided to stop for a visit to the lavatory, I remember walking out of my room and realising I had my favourite plectrum (at the time) in my hand, I thought to myself "I'll just put this in my pocket, lest I misplace it", I remember putting it in my pocket - I know for a damn fact I put it in my pocket. Satisfied that I hadn't lost it...I returned from the loo to get back to practising my chops and lo and behold...it was gone, ain't been seen since.

These are just two of many, many incidents...the annoying thing is I tend to learn quickly from my mistakes, I can set a kind of mental reminder, and that's what I've done where this issue is concerned yet I'm still losing...I'll consciously put a pleccy down somewhere and say to myself "Right, that's whre I put it, I'll remember that..." and it'll still vanish, absolutely bizarre.

Sorry if this post is long and boring. Apart from that I've had no paranormal experiences in my life...ever. I suppose this is something of a vent or rant, since I'd probably be playing away right now had I a plectrum I feel comfortable playing with...grrr. If it is some sort of paranormal phenomena/entity or something, perhaps it's trying to tell me I should give up...just thought I'd make that observation before someone else does.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
If you put them in your pocket,and forget like I do,the washing machine loves eating them.
Just my two cents worth.
edit on 8-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I gave you a star and flag just for the great story..

I seem to misplace mine all the time also..'

but i usually find them..

I think you have a ghost...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
After 25 years of the same thing, I can GUARANTEE they are at the bottom of your washer. Thats where they go to hide.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

i have a sprite in my home. a lady friend i recently had over said she saw it on my lampshade while we were cavorting on the living room floor. my old roomie has said he has seen it on numerous occasions and i am sure i have as well. things fall over in my unfinished basement in the middle of the night. i hear sounds in the middle of rooms- mid air - as i am leaving them. it even crawled on my bed one night. that took an effort on my part to just squeeze my eyes closed a little tighter and just go to sleep... nothing i want to see
edit on 8-1-2012 by ezekielken because: was meant to send to samerulesapply

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Your-not-butchering-some-classics-songs-by-dead-musicians-by-chance-?
Jimi-Hendrix?
Randy-Rhoads?
Cliff-Burton?
Maybe-drill-a-small-hole-in-your-plectrums-and-hang-them-on-a-nail

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

I don't know, I've played for 38 years now and I never have more than one at my disposal at a time. Most of the time I can't even find that one and am having to bum one off somebody. It doesn't matter if I have a freaking box of a gross or if somebody buys me some for a present. I never have more than one at best. And why don't you just call them picks like most people?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It's probably the gnomes they like to take stuff like that.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Lol, yeah... I've fond a few in the washing machine over the years, find them in odd places. I was travelling to work one morning and could feel something in my shoe. every time I took a step I'd feel it sliding about, had to laugh when I got into work and removed my shoe and saw a plectrum staring back at me.

The incident I related in my post where I put the plectrum in my pocket, I went to the loo and came straight back to my room, it was like a 2 minute trip to the lav and back to my playing, although there are probably a few instances where I've just mislaid or dropped them I don't believe this to be one of them...I remember searching my entire person that night in utter frustration, resorted to practically crawling along the floor following the route I'd taken to the bathroom thinking maybe I'd somehow dropped it, despite vividly remembering every detail of putting it in my pocket, perhaps I am going mad.

And if it is a ghost that don't like the stuff I'm playing...try making a request for crying out loud! The last time it happened I decided not to even bother looking...I tried to act like I wasn't bothered and found the next suitable pick in my collection, as if to show whatever it is that I shan't let it get the better of me - and I was relatively smug about it, too - "Ahaaa, see...I've got another one!" sort of vibe...I'll go out and buy 1,000 flexible plectrums if that's what it takes for me to come out on top.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I have the perfect solution, guaranteed to prevent you ever losing another plectrum again.

You will need:
1 hammer
1 nail
1 piece of string
1 fairly large log

Make a small hole in plectrum with hammer and nail.
Thread string though hole and tie a knot.
Nail other end of string to fairly large log.
Done.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
i'll go with the theiving pixies/gnomes theory.
i guess they like to grind the axe (pointy eared little #ers).

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Plectrums have some sort of strange interdimensional effect around me too.

They seem to pop into and out of this reality. Usually after intense use.

I believe it is due to some sort of vibratory harmonics at a quantum level (i.e: larger objects are immune to this effect).

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The same thing happens to me all the time but with everyday objects like screws etc. It seems to have only started being that way from about a couple of years ago. Also, things like cables and wires just magically tie themselves up in knots if i so much as look at them the wrong way...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hmm, not played any hendrix in a long time...me and some friends started out attempting to play hendrix stuff a long time ago...I'm a lot better than I was then but mostly influenced by jimmy page and johnny greenwood, few others but they're all very much alive.

Only one I can think of is gioachino rossini...I play a rather crazy version of the thieving magpie...don't suppose he'd appreciate that much

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
After reading all these posts,I have an explanation finally to a problem I have.

Shoes.

I have shoes disappear all the time.

And I am being serious here.

Are gnomes stealing my shoes?
Do I have a gnome with a shoe fetish?
Really,being serious here.

Can I set a trap for them with shoes as a bait?

link   
If you drop a pick your damn well sure to find it in the last place you'd look,if you find it at all,which is most the time in my experience.I do the double sided tape on the mic stand thing with half a dozen or more picks stuck to it.I don't drop picks generally but when I do I'm covered. And anyway if I didn't have a pick I'd just use my fingers to get it done.

I bet if I found were my missing socks are I'd find my missing picks with 'em.

link   
Comedian "Steven wright"once dead panned:
" I picked up the phone and called "information"...
"I asked her; "where are my socks?"
"she said:"behind the couch"...
And she was right..."

look there...

l
edit on 8-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I never really considered gnomes...in fact I've never really thought of them as much more than garden ornaments, but it's certainly an interesting theory and I'd love it to be true.

Are there actual accounts of people claiming to have seen gnomes? I shall have to look into that. Would be even better to come across a gnome wearing a stolen pair of heels, brandishing a guitar.

Or perhaps a ukelele...

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I had this problem as well. Then i quit buying them altogether and started cutting them out of Margarine lids. Cheap, Easy and perfectly "floppy". If i cant find one, I just make another......Although I have misplaced my scissors.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
I had this problem as well. Then i quit buying them altogether and started cutting them out of Margarine lids. Cheap, Easy and perfectly "floppy". If i cant find one, I just make another......Although I have misplaced my scissors.

It's a gnome conspiracy!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join