It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing plectrums.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This sounds familiar! Husband and I lived in a rental that seemed very haunted to even having story claims backed from other people who lived there with accounts of unusual and explained activity-electronics with mind of their own. Things would go bump in the night...lift up, spin, crash to the floor and others vanish. While no electronics acted as the other people had said, or unless we didn't notice... other things went on. The spirit, or what ever this may have been, not evil per se, but more of a trickster.

We are both guitar/bass players, so have plectrums a plenty because well, they seem to go "into thin air". Other things, from keys to larger objects would also vanish. Now we do have pets, but also figured out all of their hiding places, the objects not found. Minus, socks because well washers eat socks! Sometimes, the missing objects, would pop up in odd places later on...some never till this day after moving and such, have not been found.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

Yep, always a nightmare, especially if you need to use it and are caught short.

I used to be friends with someone for years who preferred these really thin grey picks and once or twice when I'd come home from jamming at his flat I'd find that either one of his picks was in my case or I'd left one of my medium thickness (about 0.52mm if you wanna get into specifics) green Dunlop picks at his.

Highly annoying.

Nothing supernatural but it is a pain in the ass.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Picks vanish. It's a fact of life. A mathematical constant. I don't know why.

Side note: Ever set fire to a standard Fender tortiseshell-type pick? They burn pretty aggressively. Much fun.
Probably be good additions to someone's fire starting kit...

edit- Another reason they go so quickly- that guy who wants you to give him your pick at the gig (they get kinda pissy if you say no, too). Not a big deal, but when there's 10 of those guys every gig, picks get scarce.

What's up with that, anyway? I don't go to their office, watch them work, then say "Hey, gimme your mouse!" Or go to his jobsite, and say "Dude, you rock! Give me your tape measure!".
edit on 9-1-2012 by subject x because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
this has been a fun read. what IS it about picks?? i used to joke with my boyfriend about the black hole in the house they must fall into. i also am picky about the flexible ones..... somehow if i find a pick it's never one of those.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

agreed .. there's nothing funny about it actually .. here's my encounter with Disappearing Items..

It started in our home.. but only issue is.. it was spilling over into my place of employment at the time.. could have cost me my job at one point (see below from my thread linked above)

this phenomenon is still spilling over at work..

Interestingly enough, just today, a batch file for one of our test floors got deleted, the entire batch file of over 300 products! I loaded the file, had to reboot the test head, tried to re-load the file and came up with "file not found"

I was like WT*!!! ? Not just 1 min before it was working fine; so i tried a couple more, nada!

I talk to our test engineering manager, who found the problem. The entire batch file was missing; it had 0kb in the folder! He looked at me and said.."WHOA!" that's odd! He restored the file with a back up.

He and our Equipment Engineering manager thought it was REALLY weird since, there are only a very few ppl with access to that area of the server, him and 2 others I believe.

When: Friday, April 4h, 2008
Where: Place of employment

Situation:
Standing with an engineer at the machine, looking at the boat of wafers (6 wafers) He and I confirmed there were 6. One of the group of 3 wafers belonged in another empty boat since they belonged to another lot. We needed to transfer all the 6 wafers to ovens for the experiment. I took the full boat and he took the paperwork and his book. We LEFT the empty boat ON the machine.

We went to the oven room, 30ft away in the same part of the clean room. Transfered 2 of the 6 wafers to the oven, when another employee walked in for a brief moment to push a cart in the room. I put the lid back on the boat. Placed the wafers in the oven. The other employee walked out of the clean room about 2 mins before we did and went on break.

As we were walking back to them machine to pick up the empty boat.....it was gone!! Nada! We thought that the other employee might have pick it up and moved it. We search the clean room for 3 mins, NADA.

I asked her if she had pick up a boat off of machine 918. "No... if I did, I would have told you guys..."

Where did it go!!!!!?????????????

edit on 10-1-2012 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Really? im sorry how is this a grey area? my god... do you have kids? they take them and dont return them. do you have a girlfriend or a wife? she has misplaced it by accedent. do you have friends? they have taken them because they might be cool or they like messing with you. do you have a dog or cat? they might have a thing for them and like chewing on them. my god there are so many simple explanations for this.

did you check in the couch? ...

Sorry for being so forward, but really? your picks are missing? my god.

PS here is a link to the website Xepisodes where you can watch some of the best cartoons...and here is a link to the southpark episode UNDERPANTS GNOMES.
xepisodes.com...

i mean really cmon! i couldnt single post this because it is so random.
edit on 10-1-2012 by Aarcadius because: forgot to make a joke about this with the underpants gnomes.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Just one word....clothes-pegs....

Where do they disappear to? Without really reaslising I suddently have not enough of them to hang out my linnen. I buy new ones and after maybe two years the same thing happens all over again. No they are not trampled into the ground....I looked. Maybe my neighbour...? She always seem to have enough of them. Would she secretly take mine...? If so where do her clothes-pegs go for wanting mine?

A mistery for sure....S&F !!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Not trying to be Forum Police, simply thinking aloud - shouldn't this be in General/Skunk Works? My impression is that Grey Area is for threads by psychopaths and attention-seekers, whereas this is just a guy curious about things going missing.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kolya
Not trying to be Forum Police, simply thinking aloud - shouldn't this be in General/Skunk Works? My impression is that Grey Area is for threads by psychopaths and attention-seekers, whereas this is just a guy curious about things going missing.

Actually, Grey Area is for personal stories as it says in the section at the top. Stuff that happened to you that doesn't fit elsewhere but is still mysterious.

Skunk Works is for stuff that's generally considered ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Really?? I have to start going there more often than here when I need a laugh then ¬_¬

(I knew both were for 'speculative' or anecdotal threads and/or that didn't fit into a themed folder; I always considered Grey Area to be the Hoax-folder-fodder one of the two...)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kolya
Really?? I have to start going there more often than here when I need a laugh then ¬_¬

(I knew both were for 'speculative' or anecdotal threads and/or that didn't fit into a themed folder; I always considered Grey Area to be the Hoax-folder-fodder one of the two...)

Yeah, it's the other way round which is why you'll find "Here's a personal gun story you'll never hear" in the Grey Area and "Did a German submarine sink the Titanic?" in Skunkworks

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Nobody really knows what the rings of Saturn are made of.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I actually made this thread in the paranormal forum, t'were moved here by a moderator so ask them why they moved it.

Ta.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Also, the experiences I related are real...but have a sense of humour about it.

It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, if you think the thread is silly, fair enough...I suppose it is, kinda. But it's nice to hear other peoples similar experiences...nobody forced you to read or respond.

Cheers for the fedback though.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Point taken.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Here's a scary thought. My total of stars right now add up to 1984.

Thought I'd say it here since this isn't a "serious" thread and that observation isn't worthy of it's own thread.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I don't know what's going on with your pics (incidently I don't think they're all in washing machine. but I'll tell you one of mine. For awhile there these things were happening. I sleep with my bedroom door slightly ajar sometimes it would open wide 3 times in one night (no vibrations or anything) that would cause that as a matter a fact the bottom of the door slightly scrapes the tile when you push it back yourself as in it doesn't open easily) the other thing that would happen is that the plug to the microwave would become slightly unhooked when I'd go to open the door and put something in and I'd have to plug it in sometimes twice. This went on for about 5 months and then all of a sudden it went away. I think it might've been my roommates deceased husband because he's been dead for ten years and we're having a tough time economically plus her health is not the best he's probably concerned about her and me I was a friend of his, maybe someone you knew is trying to get your attention.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has had such experiences.

I don't think I have a ghost or spirit or anything like that to be perfectly honest, it's not a subject I know much about and take most of it with a pinch of salt. Some things I have heard, even from close friends or family members leads me to believe that there are a lot of things going on we either don't see or just plain don't understand, so I'm not knocking the idea at all...most of the stories and claims that I have heard and read seemed kind of silly and far fetched, but there's always that small percentage that make me seriously question the world around me, sure.

But I've no other experiences that would lead me to the conclusion that any kind of spirit or ghost or entity is involved or responsible for this. I really don't know what to make of it. I understand that people think it's silly, I already stated that I myself find it to be so, and used to find it funny...but now it's just annoying.

It's the only time I've knowingly put something in my pocket only for it to disappear completely within a couple of minutes, it's the only time I've dropped something on the floor right at my foot and even heard it land only for it to vanish. My pocket didn't have a hole in it, nor does my floor. It's a strange one, for sure - I'll probably never know the truth regardless of how fantastic or mundane it may be.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
When in writing, the plural of plectrum is PLECTRA !

Now everyone go back and edit theyre posts !!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Lol, I stand corrected. Perhaps the plectra are angry at my misuse of the term and that's why they inevitably leave me :p plectra it is.

Someone else was irked because I didn't say pick...dunno why I refer to them as ...ahem -plectra. I usually buy them online and that's what they're called, to me picks were always them things banjo players wear on their fingers, although a few of my friends refer to plectra as picks.

I've never seen them marketed as picks in any store, always plectrum. It is a strange word, seems totally meaningless to me now I've said and typed it so many times

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join