It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We NEED "greener" technologies and buildings, NOW!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
( Sorry if statistics are false, this is coming from my friend from department of energy)

Look at your phones battery. How often do you charge it? If your anything like me, often. Imagine how many other Americans have cellphones (249,328,973) Do they charge it as often as you or I? Well every hour they have it plugged in they emit about 1.306lbs(1.306 is about how much energy phone uses) of Co2 into the atmosphere! For one hour america emits 300,000 pounds of Co2 into the air from cellphones alone!
If these cellphone companies added a discreet solar charger they could save 300,000 pounds of co2 a day!
Imagine what else we could do If companies decided to add "greener" technologies.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well, too bad it won't ever happen... It's all about money, and technologies like that are too expensive to make...

But I get your point.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by EmperorXyn

Not even so much with these technologies, we should start with more rooftop gardens that could sell to supermarkets for cheaper (than Gentically modiefied)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
There are cellphone chargers that use solar power. But it takes ages to charge it.

Nokia has concept phone that loads from body heat. Too bad its soon bankrupt or merges to Microsoft
Nokia E-Cu draws heat from body. There is thermogenerator inside that turns heat to potential energy. There is copper backing with engraved heat sinks. That technology is used to keep objects from overheating. Phone needs temperature of 86 Fahreinheit or 30 Celsius or more to completely charge in 7 hours.

www.good.is...
www.dezeen.com...

And here is Portable Solar Charger for phone:
www.earthtechproducts.com...

But too expensive

edit on 7-1-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Seanwalsh

Only problem is that co2 is like air and not any kind of pollution. It is needed by life and current levels are nearly record low when you look at the longer timescales. You are sadly just another victim of propaganda/brainwashing.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
what ever would the plants breathe?

edit on 7-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Why don't you go to a landline and give up your cell phone for the good of the planet if it frustrates you so much .
Or do you need it stuck to your ear all day and while driving an SUV while yelling at others to ride a bike. Sort of reminds me of the OWS philosophy.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
what ever would the plants breathe?

edit on 7-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

Problem is that we have decreasing amount of trees and plants, but carbon dioxide emissions are rising. We are no longer in balance

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Well you just get right on that ...and grab that"Gore" guy off his private gulfstream business jet too!(saving the planet from mankind and all)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Yes. Also snowfall increases in the United States when there is a warmer arctic. Warmer Arctic= Colder US. (All the warm air has to go somewhere)
All this post was about is how much energy we use on a daily basis without even knowing it.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seanwalsh
reply to post by 46ACE

Yes. Also snowfall increases in the United States when there is a warmer arctic. Warmer Arctic= Colder US. (All the warm air has to go somewhere)
All this post was about is how much energy we use on a daily basis without even knowing it.

We do waste alot of electricity on unecessary activities( texting;blogging; dancing with the stars etc)......

But Warm air expands and so... uhm...."rises"

until; it cools, then it sinks...

it doesn't go "north"

"up" is "up"; "north" is not "up"

Yup just more More "weather wisdom" from a carbon tax supporter...

If anything air masses tend to move west to east(I.E. the"jetstream") as the earth rotates.
edit on 9-1-2012 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Germany is a great example of this..over 2011 they have produced a 60 percent increase in solar output..

Source

Here’s a bit of good news for renewable energy from Germany. The German Solar Industry Association (BSW) says that the nation’s solar power producers have now produced 60% more electricity in 2011 than they did in all of 2010, producing 18 billion kWh. That’s very impressive growth.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
you can just buy a solar charger from e-bay , not so bad. Actually I made my own from a 6 V / 2 watts solar panel , however it is not functional during winter. I guess I would need a larger one for winter. I also made it to recharge my e-book reader.

It depends how your country produces electricity. Europe produces from Nuclear, Hydro-energy , coils and wind. Coils are the bad ones. As someone mentioned, CO2 is not so bad as it is needed by the plants, however people should be aware about the deforestation issue - we sort of cut too much on a global scale and we do not replace the trees. Plus, the CO2 is NOT the only pollution in the "house".

If you want to make a change, you can look at ways to make your home more energy efficient first. It also helps when you have to pay less cash for the energy bill:

- try to insulate your house. Poorly insulated houses can use up to 10 times more energy when compared with well insulated houses. en.wikipedia.org...

- if you build a new house, make sure you will not build more than you need. Make it space-efficient.

- if you do not mind, try building geodesic domes! For the same living space, just the shape itself will save you 35 % of the energy bill!
vitodibari.com...

- look into "passive house" technologies. They been around for quite some time in Europe therefore you will not do experimenting ! This type of house can reduce the energy usage for heating about 8-9 times!
www.youtube.com...

- have efficient appliances. An A++ washing machine would wash as good as a classical washing machine but will use far less energy for example.
en.wikipedia.org...

- Try to use LED bulbs. Get them from e-bay , shops are a rip-off .

- If you can, get a micro wind turbine. They sell cheap and you can connect them directly to oil heaters so no battery are necessary.

- make your own solar energy system, they can be cheap and fun:
www.youtube.com...

- review your transportation need . If you can travel using an electrical vehicle (for work for example) , try convert one from petrol to batteries. Use reduced night tariff to recharge the batteries.
www.youtube.com...

- watch "peak moment" on youtube , example and ideas on how to make a difference!
www.youtube.com...

This is just a list with ideas,we could all come with more if we needed. Be the change rather than awaiting for the change.

edit on 9-1-2012 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Good post! I follow "peak moment" (Janea Donaldson/Mike Ruppert)also..

We can do so much individually if you are so inclined. I've given up a vehicle; I have my motorcycle(s); bicycle and feet for decent weather ( 7-8 months out of the year) the wife and plan trips and share1 car: (an AWD 4cylinder) " Ford Escape" all winter...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Seanwalsh

You might enjoy this interesting documentary.

Its called Waste = Food. I would of embedded the video only its vimeo rather than google video or utube.

The German chemist, Michael Braungart, and the American designer-architect William McDonough are fundamentally changing the way we produce and build.

If waste would become food for the biosphere or the technosphere (all the technical products we make), produc­tion and consumption could become beneficial for the planet.

A design and production concept that they call Cradle to Cradle. A concept that is seen as the next industrial revolution.

Design every product in such a way that at the end of its lifecycle the component materials become a new resource.

Design buildings in such a way that they produce energy and become a friend to the environment.

With a serious bit of reorganising - a world of possibilities may open up.

top topics

join