It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologists say Ohio quakes directly tied to fracking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
N.E. Ohioan here... Well isn't this just dandy! Now we have to deal with a scourge that has really only plagued the west coast. I love my buckeye state but DAMN!... just as we are starting to get things in order we are about to crumble to the rumble now huh?

Aren't there alternatives to fracking?

The NG isn't going anywhere why not just leave it there until a safer alternative is found then have a go at it then?

GO BROWNS! GO CAVS! GO INDIANS, GO ERIE MONSTERS!

edit on 7-1-2012 by maestromason because: WOOF!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is scraping the bottom of the barrel with a very sharp knife. Sure, you might get some residue of whatever's on the bottom of the barrel, but eventually, you're going to ruin the barrel. Only the barrel is the Earth, and after you scrape through it, it's out into the aquifers and drinking water.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
They've known about the connection of wells and earthquakes for a long time now. Heck, I remember, it must be 20 plus years ago, they were talking about how they could avoid the "big one" out west by lubing the faults to release the build up of pressure with smaller earthquakes. Back then, they suggested water would be the best choice of lube, but now-a-days they use a secret witch's brew that is more effective than plain, safe, harmless water.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Sit back and wait. When millions die due to corporate greed the survivors can file a class action lawsuit not only against the drilling companies, but also the federal government. But, when suing the federal government, they tie it up in the courts for many, many years. As a paralegal, I was told never to take a federal case. IE: A woman was crossing the street on a walk signal, a U.S. Postal truck made an illegal right turn on red, ran the woman over, she barely lived, witnesses got the truck number & plate as the postalk worker fled the scene. I accepted the case, the attorney I worked for made me drop the case and told me NEVER take a federal case.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AnswerSeeker2012

Your experience is very enlightening, thanks. You seem like someone with good advice to give.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

N.E. Ohio here,too.

They don't live here. They don't mind polluting the ground water, causing earthquakes, and generally screwing up the land. As long as they can make money, they won't give the people living nearby a second glance.

And forget about ever suing them or even trying to slow them down. The game is fixed, people.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It is a good thing for them to disclose the truth. My brother and I were talking just not to long ago about how the Earth is being stripped of all its resources at a BREAK NECK PACE. It is almost as if the governments' of the world are anticipating that something apocalyptic is coming.

Fear affects the Dow via way of the vix and this fear will have 2012 being a year of very HIGH anticipation and alleviating.

Glad I got out 9 1/2 years ago and made ALTERNATIVE moves.

edit on 7-1-2012 by maestromason because: *correction

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Okay the people involved in fracking have to be the dumbest hillbillies on the face of the planet. Yes I guess it does take a genus to know that if you crack the Earth open, there may be consequences...

I hope they sink their own houses, and only the families they care about and love get injured.

This fracking is moronic!

Stop fracking!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
Okay the people involved in fracking have to be the dumbest hillbillies on the face of the planet. Yes I guess it does take a genus to know that if you crack the Earth open, there may be consequences...

I hope they sink their own houses, and only the families they care about and love get injured.

This fracking is moronic!

Stop fracking!

That's the point. They're not doing it to their own houses.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Even though we can legally sue to compensate for our losses due to these quakes, it won't work, here's why.

All of these companies are actually dummy companies. They are created individually and are set up as stand alone corporate entities, and when the going gets tough, they are designed to fall apart.

The true criminals here are the investors in these dummy companies, they are the ones that we need to target.

It's a shell game, the decoys are there to waste our time and resources and in the end we won't accomplish anything because we are only attacking a branch of the greater plant growth. We need to go for the roots, the investors.

Don't get mad at the cups in the shell game, get mad at the guy who keeps hiding the ball and playing tricks.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
anyone get the Homeland Security Screen? I had this clicked and it showed up saying it was checking the validity of this post... WTF?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

If this is not the place for this, then simply delete it. I'm looking for your opinions on a situation I'm in that could involve fracking.

So here's the situation:
I'm a drywall contractor. I have been in drywall since I was 12, that's 20 years! I have been a drywaller fulltime for 15 years. I'm good at what I do, I know to much to work for some company and get paid peanuts. I do not have steady work, I'm falling behind on my bills. I have 7 kids and a wife. I have thought about moving out west where they have been building for the past 3 years non-stop. It would give me steady work and I can bid the jobs higher out there.
Here's my hesitation. I do not support fracking. I would be working in the center of the fracking area. I would move my family as far away as possible and still be able to get the jobs, even if that means I sleep in my van during the jobs. In your opinions am I then helping the fracking industry? I would not be doing the fracking, I would be offering an honest product and hard labor. I don't even like to buy gas. I know what Charles Nelson Pogue invented in the 30's. I know that our cars pollute only because of big oil. I know we get crappy gas mileage because of the car manufactures obedience to big oil. I know how to get away from big oil for my vehic
les but I never have the money to do it. If you say not to go out and work there, then what about the gas you buy and use? On the other hand, can you live any where out there and have clean water? I distill all our drinking water, will that work with those contaminants? Would the contaminants in the water be to much to even get a shower with? Is my family going to be swallowed by the earth?
All opinions and info are welcomed.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxStriker
anyone get the Homeland Security Screen? I had this clicked and it showed up saying it was checking the validity of this post... WTF?

Same here...WTF?

Homeland Security Screen pop-ups on ATS?

I did not click it for you may find yourself deep in a rabbit's hole clicking on links and $#!t that you know nothing about.

I just read it briefly and hit my emergency shut down button which systematically cuts off my network drivers and then scans & checks itself before shutting down the power. I am thankful that no secondary security measures had to be taken.

It is strange that there are no posts about the Homeland Security Screen pop-up...

Strange very strange indeed.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by maestromason

I'm pretty sure the "Homeland Security Screen pop-ups" are ATS bringing your attention to the threat of a new bill.

Read the whole thing. At the bottom you can simply proceed to the post. They are making the point that with the bill they can decide what you are about to do could be silenced with the bill.

Who ever is behind it, it seems as though they have proven their point very well!!!!

It's time to

edit on 8-1-2012 by BelieveInEnoch because: adding info

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here are the latest news stories straight from the Plain Dealer(Ohio's largest news publication) about the fracking technique causing earthquakes as well as disclosure of fracking ingredients:

www.cleveland.com...

www.cleveland.com...

www.cleveland.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackyMenace
reply to post by phantomjack

Really? I live in pennsylvania and I know a lot of people with contaminated water now. The place I work at is even contaminated. People are not making it up.

Contaminated how? What area of PA? Can you tell me more?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
Looking a little closer at Pennsylvania, we findnsome interesting results in the investigation. An article in Scientific American published May 9, 2011

The researchers discovered methane in from 51 of the 60 wells tested—that is not out of the ordinary. A small amount of methane from both deep and biological sources is present in most of the aquifers in this region of Pennsylvania and New York State. By measuring the ratio of radioactive carbon present in the methane contamination, however, the researchers determined that in drinking water wells near active natural gas wells, the methane was old and therefore fossil natural gas from the Marcellus Shale, rather than more freshly produced methane. This marks the first time that drinking water contamination has been definitively linked to fracking.
emphasis mine

This following a "report" on Marcellus Drilling News from February 2011.

Geologists at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Mineral Resources Management, which oversees fossil fuel drilling and fracking, maintain that no groundwater contamination has taken place in any of the 80,000 fracked wells in Ohio, and that strict state regulations mandate cement casing within a well to isolate underground aquifers from the fracking taking place several thousand feet below them. Also required are proper wastewater disposal and site remediation when wells stops producing.

Reading through the comments provides me a chuckle or three.

This post

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
*******UPDATE*******

www.cleveland.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

edit on 18-1-2012 by Jerisa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join