It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Geologists say Ohio quakes directly tied to fracking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Geologists say Ohio quakes directly tied to fracking

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Recent earthquakes in Ohio and Oklahoma have been directly linked to deep wells used to dispose of liquid wastes for hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" of natural gas, according to geological experts.

And they expect more earthquakes to come as the industry continues to expand across the eastern United States.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)[/edit]

edit on 1/7/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: changed title to same as source
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
So there we have it......Geologist are now stating that fracking has been directly linked to causing earthquakes, and instead of looking seriously into these practices, they tell us to expect more earthquakes as the industry continues to grow.

How much more unacceptable can something be? It is being validated that fracking is causing EARTHQUAKES, and they state that they don't know if the industrial drilling could spawn more destructive ones, and yet they continue these practices.

It's all about the money...they don't care what they do to get it. How much longer before these activities trigger a major earthquake that kills many people?

One question: Since this is being directly linked to fracking, can the people who have had property damage or injury due to the earthquakes now sue the companies involved?

www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 7-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
How do you know they are not making
this up so we can not get good cheap gas?

How can they prove the earthquake was *directly*
tied to fracking>? I highly doubt they can.

Just crazy environmentalist hell bent to
destroy the oil industry.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
You are right, it is about the money. The Fracking companies are offering 1500.00 per month per acre leased, as well as 200,000 mcf of natural gas that is free to you per year, free of charge, plus residuals for the gas/ oil extracted.

I almost fell for this, until I started doing research on it. There is alot of contamination to the water table taking place as well. I have felt the quakes. I'm about an hour northwest of youngstown.

This is bad for the general public as well as for the environment. The leases are geared to protect the fracking companies, and not the home owner.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Read the article:

Armbruster compared the disposal well to a hydraulic jack that is slowly splitting an underground fault.

The well "is forcing the two sides apart and it starts to slip," Armbruster said. "The earthquake is the slip."

At least 177 similar disposal wells are located throughout Ohio, and Armbruster says it will take a while for the pressure from the fracking fluids to disperse into the earth.

This is not crazy environmentalist, it is geologist.

Don't believe it if you like....For your safety, I hope they aren't doing this near you. This is not about a conspiracy to keep cheap gas from the public. It is about the safety of our planet and the people that inhabit it.

edit on 7-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I'm also hell bent on destroying the oil industry. *shrugs*

It's like knowing a medicine will kill you eventually and continuing to LOVE it knowing there are natural alternatives.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

its true ..i live in the area and
it is not being made up,for some other reasons the well owner is going to release some material out of the well
to see if the tremors subside

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Shouldn't they at least put a moratorium on fracking until they come up with a cleaner process?

Contamination of ground water is as serious as it gets IMO.

That's just wrong. Your talking generations drinking potentially poison water.

Add the earthshakers and it sounds disasterous.

Not cool.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I'm originally from North Eastern Ohio.(Yeah, still a Browns fan,shadddddup)

I'm sending this thread to some friends of mine that still live there. They actually have some pretty high up connections in Columbus. Let's see what they say.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

It is funny, my buddy is not big on conspiracies, yet he is the one who told me this.
I guess this is "real" mainstream news.
But as far as fracking goes, I learned a long time ago, if you hit your Mother, she'll hit you back, just much harder.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

if you hit your Mother, she'll hit you back, just much harder.

You said it perfectly!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by g146541

if you hit your Mother, she'll hit you back, just much harder.

You said it perfectly!!!!!

Yea, so stop fracking mother earth.
Fracking idiots.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

How about rather than just making statements you go and do a little research on the subject?

There are many good thread just on ATS alone where this connection has been evidenced.

If you highly doubt it then demonstrate why they would be unable to do so.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Well Pops this has been proven but not in Ohio or Oklahoma ... this was proven in Colorado where the gubermint was injecting contaminated waste water into deep wells long before frickin fracking was taking place.......

Recent quakes reported in Ohio and Arkansas are associated with wastewater wells, not fracking wells. The water first used in fracturing rock is retrieved and pumped into these waste wells, which take in lots of water. And at more than 9,000 feet deep, the water is under high pressure that can build up over months or years. It's this pressure that can actually create earthquakes.

Fracking and eartquakes

fracking causes earthquakes not new info

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Already posted a week ago:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Search is your friend

Sorry, I always wanted to say that.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Just like the recent EPA statement that fracking contaminates drinking water -- by studying ONE well in Wyoming, of the THOUSANDS of wells that are drilled all over the country. SOURCE

The EVO's are going to destroy this country with their paranoid delusional mental illness.

Environmentalist = Liberalism = Mental Disorder

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Really? I live in pennsylvania and I know a lot of people with contaminated water now. The place I work at is even contaminated. People are not making it up.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

We don't even need "cheap gas." But I am sure They are not "making this up." (For more on why We don't need gas or any other petro-fuel, see My thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com... )

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Additional threads:

whoooa. Just felt the 4.0 in Ohio

Northeast Ohio rocked by 11th earthquake linked to Youngstown injection wells

Still asking?Oklahoma earthquake caused by energy-drilling process or natural earthquake?

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

And an excellent resource for Fracking related info is this thread by SunflowerStar:

Resource Bibliography for Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epic scroll to the last page for the most recent version. 

Workshop on induced Seismicity due to fluid injection/production from Energy-Related Applications

Research Org Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA (US)

Sponsoring Org Earth Sciences Division

The objectives of the first workshop were to identify critical technology and research needs/approaches to advance the understanding of induced seismicity associated with energy related fluid injection/production, such that: (1) The risk associated with induced seismicity can be reduced to a level that is acceptable to the public, policy makers, and regulators; and (2) Seismicity can be utilized/controlled to monitor, manage, and optimize the desired fluid behavior in a cost effective fashion.

As you can see by the treads and links within each of the above referenced threads, there is substantial evidence to indicate that Fracking does indeed cause earthquakes. 

Not to mention the poisoning of groundwater:

EPA finds fracking chemicals in Wyoming groundwater

Bombshell Report Links Water Contamination To Fracking For The First Time

So now ask yourself if "cheap gas" is worth all of this?

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

I live here in Ohio... there's definitely an unusual increase in activity! this is not normal, and the timing is perfectly in line with when the fracking operations began .. I think it's pretty obvious that the two are related.. you don't need to be a rocket scientist to see the correlation, and it's not the first time fracking has been blamed for earthquakes..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join