It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were a hyper advanced ALIEN culture, how would you search/alert the cosmos????

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I didn't see anybody mention the self-replicating probe idea. (Send probes to the nearest stars where they build knew probes to reach the stars beyond. Eventually a probe finds something and reports back. This would be slower but it would be more thorough than sending a signal that requires a clever and attentive recipient. Another advantage would be that you find out about your neighbours without necessarily revealing yourself.)
edit on 27-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

Star for you!!!!
Great idea...what are your thoughts on our ability to do the same?
I really think yours is the best solution I have read (self replicating specifically)...
Sadly, its a better idea than my pulsar idea

Great post!!!

-Chris

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christosterone
reply to post by cloudyday

Star for you!!!!
Great idea...what are your thoughts on our ability to do the same?
I really think yours is the best solution I have read (self replicating specifically)...
Sadly, its a better idea than my pulsar idea

Great post!!!

-Chris

Thanks, I've heard the History Channel had a documentary where they talked about a similar idea, but here is the way I imagine it: Make something extremely tiny that is mostly a piece of software with some growth capability - like a biological seed. Send that seed to a nearby star. Upon arrival the seed would build several planetary probes to explore the star system. It would also build several interstellar vehicles to carry more seeds to the next star systems.

The best way to get the data home might be to build communication relay stations at each star system. Or maybe the data could travel back physically to keep potential aggressors from detecting your radio signals.

I imagine everything might need to be constructed from carbon like natural life. I don't know how the interstellar travel would work - maybe use huge solar sales made of carbon?
edit on 27-1-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

I LOVE the idea about the sparkly dust....
Only problem I would have with it is that I would be terrified to go near a black hole.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Simply put, I wouldn't alert ANYONE...until I knew what the neighborhood was like.

But, for us humans, too late...we've been beaming signals into space for decades...

I'd investigate first, and see what other life planets (based on my own) I could find, check for any signs of technology or habitation. Set up observation posts, etc.

THEN, I'd meet the natives.

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think you make a very good point for a civilation at our evolutionary age....
But if you were hyper advanced and theoretically "untouchable", how would you search for others in the cosmos?
Or would you simply stay anonymous?

-chris

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join