It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How SOPA (as written) might kill ATS and free speech online (UPDATED)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think you said all that should be said

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
Remember, folks, piracy is bad....

Marvel Entertainment pic is of Stan Lee...not Ike Perlmutter...

I would NEVER steal from him

-Christosterone

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well this is another way to control the masses for the big ? looming over 2012
Maybe they do have a BIG plan or they know something is going to happen soon.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Since the entertainment industry is the motivation behind SOPA, why don't we for starters, stop supporting their unnecessary survival? Bring the industry to it's knees with boycotts and their corporate sponsors will begin to get a taste what "we the people" are capable of. If we keep feeding this beast, we're doomed to be it's next meal.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Christosterone

No President who intends to ever be a member of the public again would sign such a bill into law. That is an end-game move.

Once we don't have the ability to communicate freely (more or less), we are easy targets.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Your post implies that piracy is good because only rich people are victims of it. Thats not really true though.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

are you saying that we have to take up arms and stand as a free world, stand together as men and women who are being threaten with a piece of paper that says we are to do something that is going to hurt people?

If that is the case then I will take up arms to stop this corrupt system from spreading it's corruption in areas that I don't want even touched by those in power and brain-dead.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
As well all know, I think we all know, at least any of us that run websites, DHS appears to initially be preemptively scanning sites that would be in conflict with the government "agenda," or should I say their "handlers" agenda. I got examined this morning (again, 7th time, different IP's) by 216.81.94.72 which resolves to DHS near Washington DC. I think they are catagorizing any potentially copyright infringing material attached to each website so they can take the website down at will under SOPA. To be honest, I am quite sure any excuse will do, there will be no fairness here or anywhere for that matter.

For smaller websites, I would suggest you make sure anything you have up there is either verifiably public domain or original content.

There does not seem to be a site up yet that will scan our individual sites for specifically copyrighted materials (so that we can remove them). A good project for anyone with the time and motivation. But I really doubt that even if your site is totally clean and abides fully by copyright law, if your agenda is contrary to the PTB, they'll change the laws and find a way to take it down. DHS would probably use the aiding and abetting excuse because they'll say an opinion or contrary facts makes them look bad and thereby weakens them.

What an ef'd up world eh?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Or, if someone posts a link on ATS to a FireFox plug-in that provides an alternate means of access to blocked sites (one is under development), one complaint could get all of ATS blocked to the entire nation.

It's already operational, but under constant development and updating. DHS sent a notice to Mozilla to take it down, and Mozilla told DHS to go pound salt.

I'm curious as to what business Homeland SECURITY has to do with this?

For those members in the United States, consider contacting your representatives in the House and Senate and ensure they know how dangerous this legislation is. I fortunate enough to wrangle my way in to speak directly to an aid of my Congressman this afternoon, and discovered he's already planning to vote against these bills.

Also, consider participating here:

americancensorship.org

or here…

We The People (WhiteHouse.gov) Petition

All being done. If they pass it, they're FIRED.

I'm also boycotting the RIAA, MPAA, and all the other little MAFIAAs pushing this, but what good is one man's boycott going to do? Doesn't really matter to me - they're not going to do it with MY money. I recommend finding the businesses and organizations that push this, and telling them "NOT ON MY DIME", then backing that up with action - not giving them your dimes any more.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Not really. They're just the biggest complainers of it. Personally, I don't pirate anything. Not music, not software, nothing. But, it's hard to feel sorry for 8 and 9 digit income earners complaining about $20 her and $15 there.

Seriously though, is there really anything worth pirating anyway? Movies are mostly remakes these days, that pale in comparison to the originals. Music today is garbage, filled with cookie cutter performers who can't sing. And software is full of trojan horse viruses that the crackers plant to try and steal your credit cards. No thanks. I find so few things worth buying, that I can easily afford to buy whatever I actually like. However, I do find it hard to have pity for these clowns, and they are completely overreaching with SOPA. Why can't someone make a video on Youtube about something they enjoy, and have the background music be something from another artist? If the video goes viral, people will be exposed to the musician's music, and they may like it. For example, I didn't know Mannheim Steamroller until someone made a Christmas light video with their music in the background. I bought one of their CD's because of that. How did that hurt the artists? It didn't.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
To look at the big picture, we, ALREADY, do not have free speech. Not fully. We still have guidelines, and moderators (no offense guys hehe) to make sure certain things aren't spread, or to close something they deem useless. I'm not saying its not for the better of the site, Im just saying its there. Plus we still have the governments tapped into everything from wallpapers on google search to texts on our high tech phones. I guess we should enjoy what little we have left before they rip the rest away from us.

edit on 6-1-2012 by Alythea because: .

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

Your post implies that piracy is good because only rich people are victims of it. Thats not really true though.

Exactly. When men like that lose hundreds, the people under them lose thousands, maybe even their jobs.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Best I can think of is trying to use a Linux based OS to bypass. That's what ill be doing at least. Like say, If you get Vuze(previously known as Azureus) on Ubuntu, you can get content directly without having to visit the website's page itself.

Or just use the Linux terminal, lets see those jerks block that.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OceanLuver
Not going to happen.

Rest easy on this.

Want to phone on this let me know.

New here so learning the ropes.

repeat ahem, pic removed

Dude, I changed my mind... Please censor the internet NOW!! begin with this post.

edit on 6-1-2012 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
freedom of speech was ment for being written on a piece of paper or being expressed in public. but when the internet came along it gave a new meaning for freedom of speech for the audience was much more vast and collaborations were made. i guess ill just get to the point it is dangerous to have a completely open net with no guards at the crosswalks or bridges. not necessaraly to you or me but to the ones in power. but we are also right in the middle so we will also be affected by it. just how things go things always change.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Rest assure, S.O.P.A will fail - Anonymous 0_-

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet
reply to post by Christosterone

No President who intends to ever be a member of the public again would sign such a bill into law. That is an end-game move.

Once we don't have the ability to communicate freely (more or less), we are easy targets.

That is a terrifying possibility. We tend to think of our country being immune to despotism.
Meanwhile tyranny is being thrust on us from all directions.
I do not remember a time in my life when I had such little faith in my government's ability to rule according to the enumerated and implied principles of the Constitution.

I fear we are heading in the direction our Framers most feared; Subjugation by our own government.
And all the while the mainstream media is playing violin on the hill watching us burn to the ground...

Soapbox dismounted

-Christosterone

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for the warning. An uncensored internet is just too big a threat to them, to their agendas. They will do everything in their power to control the internet. It's only a matter of time.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join