It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it genetically wired into Brits to drink tea

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Tea?? Earl Gray hot !!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I drink coffee day and night and maybe one cup of tea as I don't really like the taste of it too much. Got to be Nescafé though lol

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
You need Earl Gray, thats tea

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Could be that the climate has got something to do with it? As you point out, not everyone of British descent loves tea. But when I stayed there it was a natural.
BTW before imperial times there was not much tea in Britain.
Anyone know if tea made it to Britain by the time of Shakespeare?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

Never tried it, the wife drinks tea all the time, might get her some and try it on the fly lol

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
No, it seems Shakespeare did not drink tea.

"Catherine of Braganza, wife of Charles II, took the tea habit to Great Britain around 1660, but it was not until the 19th century Britain that tea became as widely consumed as it is today. In Ireland, tea had become an everyday beverage for all levels of society by the late 19th century, but it was first consumed as a luxury item on special occasion such as religious festivals, wakes, and domestic work gatherings such as quiltings"

(Wikipedia - British tea culture)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
It's just the intelligent thing to do. That's why Americans drink coffee lol. Tea hydrates you, coffee dehydrates you.

Wrong again. Caffeine is a diuretic, that means it makes your kidneys work harder to expel water from your body and makes a person urinate more frequently. You need to get over your hate for America because you show it here at ATS daily. No we are not perfect at all, and neither is your lot. Yeah, my blood comes from your Islands.

To be honest though, I enjoy a nice cup of Tea and Coffee as well. So how do you like that? We Americans drink probably more tea than you guys think, you just don't realize it. During the summer, Iced tea is all I drink. I have Drank both (hot) my entire life during the winter though and I can tell you this much, both dehydrate you, and both keep you awake longer while they make you poop more at the same time. I guess you bumped your head again eh? The only advantage that tea has over Coffee is it's easier to screw up a pot of coffee than it is a pot of tea. Good topic though. ~SheopleNation

edit on 5-1-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
from the age of about 2 i have drank tea and drink around 10-15 cups a day now.could genetics and DNA have registered in the gene pool,that makes all Brits binge on cups of tea.i once read an article saying that African people love chicken so much because its wired into them.if you dig around an ancient African site you will be sure to find millions of chicken bones,as that was there main source of food,and black people today cant resist chicken.could this be the same principle as to why Brits love tea.

These things are cultural. Brits have been raised on tea since the British East India Company started bringing it over. Tea trade was the key to British domination of India, it gave financial impetus to that conquest so tea consumption was constantly promoted.

Black Americans came to eat chicken as a staple of their diet because it was a very inexpensive and easy to raise source of protein in the American South. Even on a small plot of land, with little money a black family could have enough chickens to survive. Fried chicken is really a Southern dish, it was just about as popular among poor Southern whites as blacks. Since most American blacks are either from the South or have their ancestral roots in the South, the dish persisted as popular, even after millions of them came North for better job opportunities (this happened in earnest with the rise of the car industry, especially, as Ford and other automakers had very equal employment practices, way ahead of the curve in this respect -- a black man could make the same as a white man for the same job at a company like Ford, which was very rare at the time). So black culture, whether in the North or South, still has its roots in the South and along with that comes a common taste for fried chicken.

In Mexico the taste is for spicy dishes. But that taste has become common throughout the U.S. to the point that salsa is now the most popular condiment in the country, having surpassed ketchup and mustard some years ago. 25 or 30 years ago the thought of that happening would have been laughable.
edit on 1/5/2012 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
reply to post by TBR47

I think this is a nature vs. nurture argument in psychology.

Nurture, Nurture, Nurture. And Genetics, that's all that is involved!

The method in which you raise your child, will affect them the rest of their life.

Which is why there are so many murderers and rapists out there these days, they were raised in a manor where all they learned was to cause pain and suffering. So they carry that with them the rest of their lives.

People should have to apply to have children!! There are too many careless parents out there that simply don't care.

However, it's not the peoples fault- it never is!

It's society - and in turn - The Government / Ruling Elites that cause this pain and suffering.

Whilst benefiting from the masses.

edit on 6/1/2012 by Kluute because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwuhi

Tetleys or Yorkshire tea for me. For the past 8 years anyway..
I'll have to try Earl Grey at some point in the near future

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

It's genetically wired in to the Kiwis too.......until they jump over the ditch to Australia and nek minnit they're drinking coffee and lots of it!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kluute

Oh no, you have to try Rasberry tea or Orange with Ginger tea........

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kluute

Originally posted by mwuhi

Tetleys or Yorkshire tea for me. For the past 8 years anyway..
I'll have to try Earl Grey at some point in the near future

Yorkshire tea also. I get the bags for hard water areas for a better taste. Milk no sugar, milk in after not before the water. Some people do it the other way around.. weird people.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Haha I've never understood those people that put the milk in first...

The water needs to absorb to tea extracts before milk is added lol.

Otherwise you just end up with hot milk water :/

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Nah, whats really weird is most people use tea bags......

I use TEA LEAVES with my strainer - thats how you drink REAL tea

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
As long as you don;t mix it with cold sea water like the silly Yanks did (resulting in them being expelled from the Empire), then all tea is fine, however you make it

And the reason Britons drink so much tea is because we're more cilvilisaed and enlightened than you other, more primitive, nations. Simple

One day, the universe will drink tea and war will be no more!

And on a serious note, I guess most people who drink a lot of tea grew up in families where tea was drunk a lot - whereas growing up in a family where coffee was preferred might mean you drink coffe more as an adult? In other words, it's largely about nurture? Though, that said, my parents often drank coffee as well and these days I have maybe 1 or 2 cups of it a year .....

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

I wasn't allowed to drink tea or coffee when I was a kid because of the caffeine in them. No one I know of was allowd to either perhaps it's just an Aussie thing. I don't know.

This is why today theres a movement against caffeine based drinks in Aus because there's no age restriction and kids who aren't allowed to drink tea or coffe at home are buying these energy drinks from the shops.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by TBR47

It's genetically wired in to the Kiwis too.......until they jump over the ditch to Australia and nek minnit they're drinking coffee and lots of it!

That explains a few things.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This short video explains it far better than I can.

Synchronise kettles at 3.. 2.. 1.. GO!

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

maybe, maybe not, ill just put the kettle on
and think about it over a cup of tea .

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join