It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it genetically wired into Brits to drink tea

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
from the age of about 2 i have drank tea and drink around 10-15 cups a day now.could genetics and DNA have registered in the gene pool,that makes all Brits binge on cups of tea.i once read an article saying that African people love chicken so much because its wired into them.if you dig around an ancient African site you will be sure to find millions of chicken bones,as that was there main source of food,and black people today cant resist chicken.could this be the same principle as to why Brits love tea.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

I think this is a nature vs. nurture argument in psychology.

Really...who knows?

I suspect it is much like Americans and coffee though...just how it is!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was brought up on tea too, I think its just a tradition, same as the Americans are known for drinking coffee and China eat insects its really a culture thing.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I only became a regular tea drinker once I entered the work force. I was quite happy to go and make tea for everybody whenever I got the chance if it meant avoiding picking up the telephone and trying to make a sales call. Now I'm on about 6 a day. Everything seems better with a brew in your hands.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
well, considering that Tea is an ancient Chinese tradition and that they have been doing for far longer than any British citizen, maybe it would be wiser to ask an Asian fellow instead!

genetic predisposition has been observed in some cases towards certain habits, but overall, acculturation and its processes are of course bound by genetics, but not in the form of direct cravings, tea ceremonies form the orient differ greatly form western tea consumption habits.

We could also argue that when one minds the stereotypes the stereotypes end up owning the generalizations with fallacies, as one could say that Brits are more genetically "wired" to have unhealthy teeth, when we know that everything from the ingest of certain waters to feeding habits have a say in the problem, not just genetics alone.

So who knows?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Im British I drink lots of coffe not much tea!

I do like tea but I like coffee more so I only drink tea if I have run out of coffee.

I doubt its anything to do with ma DNA though lol.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

If i don't have a cup of tea first thing on a morning my day is most likely going to go wrong,i just cant think straight with out it i dont understand it really because it doesn't contain high levels of caffeine and i never put sugar in my tea so its not that either

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Been a Brit (hate that term, i'm English!) a lot of my family drink tea, but I prefer coffee personally.

link   
I get withdrawal symptoms if i don't have a cup of tea...

..i had to go without for a couple of days last week.......let me tell you that first cup was epic.

Tea = The Elixir of Life.

Cosmic..

link   
I thought it was because the brits where pansies as to why they drank tea instead of coffee

More so it is the culture there to drink tea for gathering of friends. Just like how Japanese drink saké instead of beer. Like how a friend from Somalia will burn their meat as common practice there any kinda of blood they find disgusting were as here we eat it almost raw.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Remember tea contains naturally occurring fluoride.
It could be why the Indians,Chinese and British are all so passive.

We are OK with just about anything-Just don't take our tea!!!

Joking,but not about the fluoride.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Our empire was built on Tea and we never go to war before a good cuppa

Tea is my fave drink with a drop of decent booze in

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

Your post sounds racist.
Some brits hate tea and love coffee.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Most the planet drinks tea, I think nations that DON'T drink tea are the ones with the genetic abnormalities

The Yanks are a decent example. But they make up for it with coffee syrup, I quite like that idea and been making my own for years, had no idea you could buy the stuff

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TBR47

I've lived in Holland for 20 years. My last cup of tea was prolly almost 10 years ago. I hate the stuff. Unless it is Moroccan style and has a huge bush of mint in it but as mint is expensive here (they flow the stuff in from Israel!) then I just avoid it. I have some in the cupboard. Never used it.

When I came here (from the UK obviously) it took me a while to get used to drinking proper coffee as most drink instant coffee in the UK.

So, in answer to your question, no.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

lol we are a tiny little island and we buy like 3 quarters of the worlds tea
we even turned India into the east India tea company. I am glad it is not unhealthy though and has a lot of health benefits coffee doesn't like antioxidants,we should go over to america and kick the crap out of them next time they hold that ceremony where they reinact throwing our tea over board into the sea cant remember what it is called

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Tea is addictive similar to coffee that is the only reason, well except we are more likely to "try" it more than once to get addicted because of culture.

I do love a caramel latte or caramel macchiato thou! But I drink tea more often.
edit on 5-1-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mwuhi

aww come on really why does my post sound racist it is a well known fact Africans are one of the biggest consumers of chicken and Brits are one of the biggest consumers of tea
edit on 5-1-2012 by TBR47 because: .

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I have never tried to drink tea with alcohol in it i think i will give it a try though

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TBR47
reply to post by mwuhi

aww come on really why does my post sound racist it is a well known fact Africans are one of the biggest consumers of chicken and Brits are one of the biggest consumers of tea
edit on 5-1-2012 by TBR47 because: .

In America African-descent people eating foods like chicken and watermelon is a stereotype and often used as a racist insult. Probably just cultural confusion between your observation and him knowing africans eating chicken only as racist slander

Maybe a bit like how you hear Australians using the word "wog" to refer to Greeks and what not, but in England you wouldn't dream of saying the word because of the perception

And to lighten the mood here is Dave Chapelle talking about racial food stereotypes

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join