It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Regarding notices from ATS via ATS' private messaging system...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
If you are on ATS, and get mail about ATS, from ATS, then..... you get it.

In all reality the ATS recap show is about topics discussed here, and even includes members input, which is important as well. Anything that ATS provides IMHO is for its members. There aren't many sites out there that are doing this... oh wait 99.999% aren't.

Members will complain, not that it should really concern ATS that much, but they STILL find the time to explain themselves.

People complained about ads, which in turn produces revenue, and they decided to use some of that to UPGRADE, with a new show, ATS uploads, and their new video player. So come on guys, really.

Personally thanks ATS! There are more people here that enjoy the effort, and even those that dislike in private, know that its better to have then not.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I noticed most of the posters telling the 'complainers' to suck it up are the die-hard ATS'ers that seem to be on the site almost permanently! Sure, for you guys, U2U is probably a constant companion, and deleting the 'odd' message you don't want is no big deal.

If you only log in every few weeks or so, the U2U alerts are extremely irritating.

If you don't delete them all, the 'you've got mail' alert keeps flashing each time a page is reloaded. It is a diversion from reading a thread and 'forces' one to go check the inbox.

Now checking my U2U used to be exciting, as I very rarely got one and it was nearly always from a fellow member about a thread I was posting in. Nowadays, I do less posting and the U2U's seem to be coming thick and fast, so it is now more like 1 wanted U2U for 20 unwanted ones.

I seem to remember one could delete all U2U's at once, now I find I have to do them one at a time.

That may not seem like much, but if I am checking into my subbed threads during a spare few minutes, last thing I want to be doing is spending all my available time deleting bloody alerts!

It's just another reason I don't come to ATS as often as I used to.

It's nowhere near as irritating as not having the ignore button though!

Sure, go ahead and ignore all these members letting you know they HATE the recap U2U's and even 2 members in this short thread have suggested it makes them consider leaving the site. I am really quite shocked at the dismissal of member opinions about this topic, but it is becoming the norm to read a thread authored by SO that basically expresses the idea:

"we've heard some complaints (aka: suggestions as how to improve the site) and quite frankly this is ATS and if you don't like the way we run it, then piss off and post somewhere else!"
edit on 19/1/12 by RogerT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've wasted more time reading these four pages than I have wasted dealing with the difficult job of deleting a couple ATS messages over the past two years.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

GLP will gladly take your money to join their site....

What you get here for free, is far superior to what you would have to pay for there. ..

edit on 19-1-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MessOnTheFED!
I dont like recieving messages every couple days about these recap shows.

Then don't log in.

This is ATS's house. You come here voluntarily, you let yourself inside (because they gave you a key) and then you use their stuff. For FREE. As much as you want. This is their house. If they leave you a note now and then, and tell you that you are free to throw it away (and they provide the means) .... then do it.

Or else you ARE just complaining. And it's extremely ungrateful, IMO.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is ATS's house. You come here voluntarily, you let yourself inside (because they gave you a key) and then you use their stuff. For FREE. As much as you want. This is their house.

Oh brother...

Just because it's 'their house' doesn't mean they couldn't add some sort of unsubscribe script. I myself own a forum (and a 'regular' website) and I provide my members with a method to opt-out of receiving notifications. This is pretty much expected now a day's.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frontkjemper

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is ATS's house. You come here voluntarily, you let yourself inside (because they gave you a key) and then you use their stuff. For FREE. As much as you want. This is their house.

Oh brother...

Just because it's 'their house' doesn't mean they couldn't add some sort of unsubscribe script. I myself own a forum (and a 'regular' website) and I provide my members with a method to opt-out of receiving notifications. This is pretty much expected now a day's.

Just because it's *their* house, means they can do whatever they darn well please.

What you do in your house (site), has no bearing on what is done in this house.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
House Calls

If I may be forgiven for butting in with a personal opinion (just me talking here), if there's ever a thread where complaints about the ATS Recap messages (or other admin messages sent via the private message system) are on-topic, I think this would be it.

I know Bill isn't out to annoy people, and the reasons for sending out the messages are quite solid, in my opinion. Though I know some of us would really like to have it, I don't think an "opt out" feature would be worth the hassle of implementing. The message titles are straightforward, you know what you're getting when you see them, and I don't think it's too onerous to ask members to hit "del" if they're not interested.

Having said all that, all of us as ATSers are entitled to believe and hold whatever opinions we want, and as long as we express them in accordance with the terms & conditions, we are all quite welcome to do so.

It's not on-topic or appropriate to complain about this particular issue in ATS Recap threads, because those are for the actual videos, not admin messages. But here in BB&Q, in this thread, it IS the topic and I'm hoping no one will feel discouraged from honestly speaking their minds about it.

That will include views pro, con and indifferent, and some of us clearly feel strongly about this, but I'm hoping no matter what our opinions may be, we can politely respect the rights of our fellow members to think differently.

Just my tuppence, YMMV, but I pray we can at least agree on that.

edit on 1/19/2012 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I haven't logged in in about a week. When I did, it took me nearly 5 seconds to delete the messages from the site in my In box.

Oh, the humanity!

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You know, before this thread became active I sent a PRIVATE message to SO to address my complaint. I recieved a link to this thread as a reply. I didnt really want to bother anyone with how I feel about anything on this site, because it really is a good site. However i see what this thread was made for. To redicule the people who dont mind speaking their opinions when they are forced out into the open. Well I have an opinion and nothing any of you say will change it. If the owners want to change something its going to be their decision alone. Most people like "constructive criticism". In this thread, however, I feel as if most of the crap talkers are hiding behind their leader and pointing and laughing at people trying to give their opinions. Maybe you should log out if all youve got to offer is schoolyard antics.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

However i see what this thread was made for...

The only purpose is to have a public indication of our management policy regarding announcements through the messaging system.

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

However i see what this thread was made for...

The only purpose is to have a public indication of our management policy regarding announcements through the messaging system.

Splendid! Then I eagerly await the day when the Recaps notices come to us in a less intrusive way. I am very happy to hear about them when they are available, but since they are done 2-3 times a week my personal feeling is u2u messages are not the most suitable way to make that announcement. I would favor the notification be given in the temporary banner at page bottom - that way we get reminded, gently, every time we change pages.

Thanks, -Eron

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I wonder if ATS needs to develop an

ANTI-WHINE med

to be secretly administered through the wires in the middle of the night . . .

or perhaps after an ATSer has been at the keyboard for 12 hours straight and is in a hypnotic stupor.

Or perhaps a hypnotic suggestion could be admnistered achieving the same ANTI-WHINE operational status desired via a complex pattern of frequencies and screen flashes . . .

/joke.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
i wish i had your problems

half the time i don't even get any announcements and i think my u2u is out of order - yeah ok, maybe it's my computer

i just received recap no 5
has this happened to any of you ?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bestintentions

half the time i don't even get any announcements and i think my u2u is out of order - yeah ok, maybe it's my computer

Don't worry, you can have all of my U2Us if you miss them. Now that I know it's just more spam from the ATS Gods, I won't ever bother to open and read a U2U again.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsideOfItAll

Don't worry, you can have all of my U2Us if you miss them. Now that I know it's just more spam from the ATS Gods, I won't ever bother to open and read a U2U again.

Darn...was going to u2u you and give you a boat load of money. Guess I'll send it to someone else....

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by InsideOfItAll

Darn...was going to u2u you and give you a boat load of money. Guess I'll send it to someone else....

You might as well. I don't need money, and I won't open any more U2Us.

Good luck to you, hopefully your U2U will be read by someone who could use a buck or two. Or a boat load of them.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
You can call it what you like. I call it spam. Private messaging should be used for, well.. private messaging between members. It shouldn't be used to promote ATS activities. That's what the front page is for. If Gmail started doing that, people would leave in droves.

...Or would they...

(I've closed my Gmail account btw)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
i like receiving those messages. makes me feel like they really care. lol which they do...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I just figured these where for the new year recapping the last year, having never actually bothered to read one I didn't realise entirely what they. I don't see the point and nor do I care but it does seem a bit like u2u spam.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join