It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California’s indoctrination of children reaches new lows

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
So children in California are being taught a form of revisionist history that fits the social agenda of the far left.

How is it revisionist to include a fact?

There are many gay children who will have pride in knowing an already established historical figure - - was in fact gay.

Where is the revision?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Honestly, I really don't care what someone's sexuality is and I don't believe it plays any role in whatever activity they did to shape history or contribute to an historical event.

What I would like to see is children learning about how those with handicaps and physical challenges have risen up against the odds throughout history.

There was a time when those with handicaps were also shunned and forced to keep themselves and/or their physical problems to themselves because they were viewed as weaker than others.
secure.wikimedia.org...

In August 1921, while the Roosevelts were vacationing at Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada, Roosevelt contracted an illness diagnosed then as polio which resulted in permanent paralysis from the waist down; this diagnosis has since been questioned.[50] For the rest of his life, Roosevelt refused to accept that he was permanently paralyzed.[51] He tried a wide range of therapies, including hydrotherapy, and, in 1926, he purchased a resort at Warm Springs, Georgia, where he founded a hydrotherapy center for the treatment of polio patients which still operates as the Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation.[52] After he became President, he helped to found the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis (now known as the March of Dimes).

At the time, Roosevelt was able to convince many people that he was getting better, which he believed was essential if he was to run for public office again. Fitting his hips and legs with iron braces, he laboriously taught himself to walk a short distance by swiveling his torso while supporting himself with a cane. In private, he used a wheelchair, but he was careful never to be seen in it in public. Great care was also taken to prevent his being portrayed by the press in a way which would highlight his disability. Only two photographs are known to exist of FDR which were taken while he was in his wheelchair; only four seconds of film exist of the "walk" he achieved after his illness.[53] He usually appeared in public standing upright, supported on one side by an aide or one of his sons. FDR used a car with specially designed hand controls, which provided him further mobility.[54]

In the public mind, Roosevelt has been by far the most famous polio survivor. However, his age at onset (39 years) and the majority of symptoms of his illness are more consistent with a diagnosis of Guillain–Barré syndrome.[55] Since Roosevelt's cerebrospinal fluid was not examined, the cause may never be known for certain.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck

Originally posted by buster2010
Some of the rednecks are just going to have to learn there are gay people in this world and they are part of American history. Oh this person did something important but we can't talk about him because he's gay. Now who is squashing free speech?

Why do our children need to know that specific person was gay? Who gives a sh#t about the historical figures sexual orientation? What is so inadequate about discussing and teaching the students about the contributions and accomplishments of the historical figure, that we need to include what sex that person likes to sleep with?
edit on 4-1-2012 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

I definitely see your point, what does sexual preference have to do with anything.

However, it seems that there are still SOME (quite a lot, actually) that find homosexuality such a despicable, unacceptable thing (and instill that in their children) that, at least in our current state of society, educating people that someone famous in history was gay, and still did good, heroic, admirable, or important things, make help to make people understand that it's not as bad as they think and include an education of the diversity of peoples. Some might say it's indoctrinating tolerance, but it's showing that, "hey, those people are different, but they're like us, and they have done good things that benefit us all. Maybe they're ok."

Then again, since CA has such a large population of gay folks, it makes sense to teach about them (even though some may argue it should be where there AREN'T a large population that it should be taught, but that's not the point), and some may also argue it's appeasement.

**********I personally perceive it as a well rounded, integrated social understanding & learning, showing the diversity of peoples throughout history. (Perhaps, though, if everyone were the same, we wouldn't have to worry about it)

Then again, some might argue by pointing out differences we are illuminating then to a degree that is best left alone.

I also think sometimes revisionist history is a good thing. Without revising certain histories (by certain people wo write them), the way we perceive some histories, we might still think that Columbus was a brave, admirable explorer instead also a murderer who tortured natives, sometimes for fun. The most well rounded and accurate histories should include as much factual information as possible to get the most accurate picture, and not a subjective slice of whoever wrote it. And that is what we should strive to achieve.

Just some thoughts.
edit on 4-1-2012 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I am a parent I could give two poops, I don't live in California. So one state does something that doesn't affect me in the least, who cares? This is exactly what A REPUBLICAN Nominee (RON PAUL) wants freedom for the states to choose for themselves, California has already exercised its' rights as a state, but yet people are calling it liberal?

And I don't care to hear how the state is a known liberal state, well if you don't like it then don't bother ever seeing a movie, you may be funding their ideas.
Don't like it move out of California, the south is still discrimanatory against gays, lesbians, well truthfully just about against anybody who isn't a W.A.S.P.

edit on 4-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by seabag

I am a parent I could give two poops, I don't live in California.

I'm a grandparent in California - - raising an 11 year old girl. When she was about 9 - - she said "does gay mean a boy likes a boy and a girl likes a girl". I said yes. She said "OK and ran outside to play".

Children don't care.

Its their parents that cause all the problem.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by seabag

I am a parent I could give two poops, I don't live in California.

I'm a grandparent in California - - raising an 11 year old girl. When she was about 9 - - she said "does gay mean a boy likes a boy and a girl likes a girl". I said yes. She said "OK and ran outside to play".

Children don't care.

Its their parents that cause all the problem.

You said it...I actually agree with their ideas, if someone contributed to history, why should we leave their names out of the history books? Just because they are Gay, Black or Jewish? It's ridiculous. Everybody should get recognition of their achievements regardless of their orientation, religion, ethnicity,etc. And I am center aisle. I neither lean left or right. I just don't see it affecting the OP in Texas. Probably would never get past those tight you-know-whats in office there.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I hate to burst your radical Right wing bubble there, but I think you'll find that a lot of those on the left will entirely disagree with this also. Have you done any polling to see what the political leanings of all those who agree or disagree with this are? No, I'm guessing not.

Uhm....no!

No polling conducted here!

Why are so many Americans so simplistic? Why is EVERYTHING in the USA a left/right issue?

Why are there so many pseudo-intellectuals out there who think they are above the right/left paradigm? Those who claim they are above it are clingers who WISH they had an ounce of sense.  

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

. . . if someone contributed to history, why should we leave their names out of the history books? Just because they are Gay, Black or Jewish? It's ridiculous. Everybody should get recognition of their achievements regardless of their orientation, religion, ethnicity,etc.

YES! I'm 65 and when I was in school the only woman we ever heard about was Betsy Ross - - and that isn't even a factual story.

So I went through the women's rights - including women in history - - and the civil rights - including blacks in history.

Thankfully we are progressing. This is a very good thing.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I am a parent I could give two poops, I don't live in California. So one state does something that doesn't affect me in the least, who cares?

I asked where are all the parents in CA!!! It wasn't directed to you, but you should be outraged for those children. 

This is exactly what A REPUBLICAN Nominee (RON PAUL) wants freedom for the states to choose for themselves, California has already exercised its' rights as a state, but yet people are calling it liberal?

Every conservative wants the states to decide for themselves!!! CA is a liberal state. A spade is a spade. 

And I don't care to hear how the state is a known liberal state, well if you don't like it then don't bother ever seeing a movie, you may be funding their ideas.

WOW!! I shouldn't watch movies if I don't support CA's gay agenda?? What a lame defense. Is that all you've got?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Whats next?

Time to home school your children, and teach them the meaning of education,by actually educating them,without this PC revisionist history lesson. There IS an agenda.Reeducate your kids,and make it right.

S&F

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
BTW - - - California is not a Liberal state. It is mostly agricultural.

It has high concentrate areas. Major cities tend to be more Liberal then other areas.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by buster2010

Some of the rednecks are just going to have to learn there are gay people in this world and they are part of American history. Oh this person did something important but we can't talk about him because he's gay. Now who is squashing free speech?

Some people with an agenda (like you) should learn to read the article before commenting and looking ridiculous.

This new law in California is an attempt to re-write history.

History is History – you can’t re-write it or change the way you report it just to cast certain groups in a more favorable light. There is a word for that….it’s called DISHONESTY.

What are we teaching our kids when we tell them it's more important to make people feel good than to seek knowledge? No one group is composed entirely of saints. History is full of horrible behavior on everyone's part. To ban teaching anything that reflects "adversely" on a group of people is nothing more than whitewashing history.

I think yo might have an agenda yourself, or at least a strong negative opinion. First, history is written by winners, there are lots of stories in history that are not portrayed in our current history books, because they lost, so keep in mind that history is just a summary, but leave a lot of details out. Second, the article is extremely biased and opinionated in itself, second guessing what will be newly written and how people will interpret is not right. Third, not everyone has a problem with history including all religions and peoples. Fourth, If history books portray it wrong it won't be tolerated, it's not like citizens are going to sit back and allow blatant lies be taught.

You need to get over your hate for the more liberal. Everyone is different, and it's the way it should be. I don't particularly care for the more conservative, but I realize I just don't think like them and have to accept we are truly of different mind and make the best of it. Both mentalities (and a few varied others) create a balanced universe.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

If some gay person in history did something noteworthy then YES they should be acknowledged. You obviously misunderstood the OP. Go back and re-read it!

It is a FACT that AIDS is predominantly spread amongst the gay community. Should that be left out of the lesson because it might offend gays even though it's FACT??? CA law says it must be left out because the TRUTH might OFFEND some people. Is it OK to re-write history??

Stop jumping to conclusions!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by seabag

Whats next?

Time to home school your children, and teach them the meaning of education,by actually educating them,without this PC revisionist history lesson. There IS an agenda.Reeducate your kids,and make it right.

S&F

Totally.

Homeschool our kids so we can teach them whatever biased, intolerant, and racially charged or lifestyle prejudiced thing we can. Let's just have a diverse array of racist rednecks, gay bashing, honky hatin', liberal loons and republicans rats running around all learnt from maw and paw, etc.

To hell with wholesomeness, let's just teach our kids to believe whatever the heck we as parents want, regardless of rationality, reality or truth. To heck with "facts!"

Let's condition our kids to hate! Let's teach them intolerance!

#sarcasm.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
When it comes to history it should be only the who,the what,the where anything more meaning who they swap spit with is indoctrination.

I have seen this too many times too many threads the defenders of homosexuality and their socket puppets and seriously i don't know what it is more of:

Them trying to justify their lifestyle choices to other people or themselves but then again they scream and shout stay out of their bed room all i i say after that is:

Stop pushing what goes on in your bedroom to other people if it should be a private matter then why the hell is it not private and just go from thread to thread justifying their own belef systems.

but whatever since we are talking about school children sexual activity is the acceptable norm?

FOR A BUNCH OF SCHOOL KIDS there is that morality being taught in the classroom actually the Government and nannystate from cradle to grave to who people swap spit with.

Meh

Nobody gives a crap who swaps spit with whoever but them.
edit on 4-1-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

While I agree that California is the bastion of progressive-think, I must (in all honesty) support their right to be as myopic and stupid as they wish.
The 10th Ammendment gives states the right to govern thmselves.

I would support and argue just as strongly for any other state if they were passing laws that suited the conservative approach to life just as well.

T'is why I will never set foot in California. I'm free to find another state that doesn't have this type of social programming agenda.

Foe example, if a state chose to end abortions, I would hope that the same leftists who support California would also support another states rights to govern as they see fit.
(though I don't see that happening)

S&F though for some thought provoking dialogue.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Right so why bitch about it now?

Put the japs in the camps? Naw that wasn't racism, or horrible. We did it for their own good?

The west? Slaughter the injuns. God told us it was ok.

What about all those black people white folks lynched? Hardly see that in history books. When you do, it's portrayed no where near it's true horror.

You might feel witty, but you didn't actually address my concerns.

Are you just upset that the hommasexuals are now getting something nice said about them?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by seabag

While I agree that California is the bastion of progressive-think, I must (in all honesty) support their right to be as myopic and stupid as they wish.
The 10th Ammendment gives states the right to govern thmselves.

I would support and argue just as strongly for any other state if they were passing laws that suited the conservative approach to life just as well.

T'is why I will never set foot in California. I'm free to find another state that doesn't have this type of social programming agenda.

Foe example, if a state chose to end abortions, I would hope that the same leftists who support California would also support another states rights to govern as they see fit.
(though I don't see that happening)

S&F though for some thought provoking dialogue.

Thanks, Beez! Of course states have the right to make their own laws. The reason I bring this mess in CA up is three fold: 

1) Because it's disgusting

2) Because it shows the lengths liberals will go to promote their sick agenda, and..

3) Because CA is looking to build a train system funded by US tax payers.  I say HELL NO. The FED (we) shouldn't be on the hook for a state project of that magnitude. The reason they can't afford it on their own is BECAUSE OF their stupid social policy.  

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

Totally.

Homeschool our kids so we can teach them whatever biased, intolerant, and racially charged or lifestyle prejudiced thing we can. Let's just have a diverse array of racist rednecks, gay bashing, honky hatin', liberal loons and republicans rats running around all learnt from maw and paw, etc.

To hell with wholesomeness, let's just teach our kids to believe whatever the heck we as parents want, regardless of rationality, reality or truth. To heck with "facts!"

Let's condition our kids to hate! Let's teach them intolerance!

#sarcasm.

Maybe you would better educate your children with the injustice and revisionist history being taught in schools!!

Letting your children watch Disney's Pocahontas,and actually teaching your kids it WASN'T a love story would be grand start! (BTW,my youngest watched that crap school)

Second,Who says I cant teach my children tolerance? Who says I have to leave it up to teachers?

How Naive!

Ill let my kids go on a field trip to the state capital,have them pimped out by their teacher,have them sing songs AGAINST the Governor,and let it all slide..............

Including letting the teacher get a slap on the wrists,for plugging his viewpoint,and letting the teachers union,not fire him,on my way to intolerance of it all.......? Whos PAYING for this?

Example:

Video of "pint-sized protesters" at state Capitol stirs debate

No agenda here...................

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Nice video, Sonnny. Ya, that's the kind of crap that kids are taught in CA public schools. That's the public school system on full display under liberal control.

Sad...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join