It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul will ruin the sanctity of marriage?!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
OMG! PANIC!

I was browsing on the Iowa Caucus 2012 site, and I found this advertisement, about Ron Paul being against marriage. I was interested, and I clicked..

According to the video that is on the front page, Ron Paul will ruin marriage between a man and a woman, and he plans to "Abolish marriage altogether"

Source: Wrong on Marriage

Funny thing is, they mention in the video that his regard to marriage is that the Government should keep their nose out of it...

Isn't Ron Paul uber religious? To me, this shows much self control as a politician and as a man who follows a faith, because he can separate his duty as a leader of the nation, and as a religious follower, i think that's honorable, and probably not easy to do. I believe his views on gay marriage is based solely on following the constitution, which this advertisement completely ignores.

Personally I don't believe it is any of the governments business, to dictate something that has nothing to do with national security, building roads, or whatever it is that they say they do. I also personally believe Ron Paul is absolutely correct, I do support Ron Paul, but this has been my opinion previously.

I am not against the sanctity of marriage, I am semi-religious, but to me, I see this as a non-issue. There are way more important things going on right now, to be moaning about homosexuals being un-happily married and miserable like the rest of us.

I'm curious to know what everyone else has to say on this. Maybe it will give me a deeper understanding of why this is so important. Please discuss.

The video below comes to my mind when I think of this issue.

edit on 3-1-2012 by sicksonezer0 because: fixed video link

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Please don't give this thread any attention and let it die, us Ron Paul people have answered these questions over and over and over..... I'm just so sick of these threads already!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Or you could not have clicked on it..... or replied..

I am curious about peoples opinions on this, and misleading ads.

But yeah, thanks for your subjective feedback....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
reply to post by jheated5

Or you could not have clicked on it..... or replied..

I am curious about peoples opinions on this, and misleading ads.

But yeah, thanks for your subjective feedback....

Well there is this little thing called the search feature, if you knew how to use it then you wouldn't have made the thread in the first place, or you were just to lazy!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It's a political ad. A stupid, typical attack ad.

I don't support Paul at this time, but I do agree with him that the government shouldn't be regulating relationships.

We marry voluntarily, though. So, people who are getting legally married are freely engaging in a contract with the state. We don't have to do it. The government isn't making us marry, they're just providing it if people want it.

So, if you want government out of your relationship, have a friend "marry" you and move in together. Have babies if you like. Problem solved.

But if states provide marriage to its citizens, it should be to all citizens equally.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Its called political media spin.

Looks like videos made by an opposing POTUS candidate spinning information against Ron Paul.

Unfathomably many sheeple will simple take these videos as fact and not research it any further, if they looked just below the surface they would find that he is all about not interfering with any type of marriage. Basing the idea on the fact that marriage is simply not the business of the government.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It's a political ad. A stupid, typical attack ad.

I don't support Paul at this time, but I do agree with him that the government shouldn't be regulating relationships.

We marry voluntarily, though. So, people who are getting legally married are freely engaging in a contract with the state. We don't have to do it. The government isn't making us marry, they're just providing it if people want it.

So, if you want government out of your relationship, have a friend "marry" you and move in together. Have babies if you like. Problem solved.

But if states provide marriage to its citizens, it should be to all citizens equally.

That is a good point. Traditional marriage, as we once knew it, was supposed to be about marrying through God (whichever God you worship), and that marrying through the eyes of God and having a relationship through your chosen faith, was the only way and the most purest form to do it.

Now it's twisted into an event in which you must marry through the state, and the state says your marriage doesn't matter unless the state says so...

I'm surprised there isn't a larger conspiracy on this fact, amongst the religious (well in all likelihood there is, it's not a new concept), but it just astonishes me sometimes at how far the government can go to get people to rely on them and basically emasculate society's ability to be self-sufficient and happy. You're right, people should be able to get married by "a friend", and just be happy about it. If I was a Christian, and wanted to get married, I would view it as the state trying to usurp the role of God in the ceremony.

Aside from all of that.. it just doesn't make a lick of sense to have the government regulate everything, including marriage.
edit on 3-1-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
These ads are for some reason entertaining to me, but I am always curious about peoples reactions to these ads, I consider most people on ats to be a bit more enlightened regarding political attack ads, and I doubt any fellow ats'ers would be swayed by them, but the average American.... is this really a huge issue for most people at this point?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Of all the issues people have with Ron Paul this would be at the bottom of the list. That being said this is sort of thing that would play well in places like Iowa but, not so much in the rest of America. RP has escaped most of these types of things as he has been a bottom feeder but, if he ever gets any real support he will have to face a huge amount of the just like any other canidate. If you can not take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

Marriage should not be a legal institution. The government has no place in your love life. If marriage didn't exist, would you invent it? If 2 people love each other, why would you want to get the government involved for validation?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0

Funny thing is, they mention in the video that his regard to marriage is that the Government should keep their nose out of it...

This is why I dislike my fellow man. They want control over your life, my life and everyone else's life. Unless somebody is controlling you by a chain around your neck things just arent right and all hell is going to break loose.

People, most people, simply cannot understand "live and let live" or they dont want to understand it so they interpret a "keep government out of it" policy as some barbaric and caricatured anarchistic reality where virgins are stabbed to death on stone slabs to appease dark lords from Mars.

I curse everyday I have to share my one life with these idiots. Not just share it but submit under threats of force and violence to the parameters they dictate. This is why otherwise intelligent people drink themselves to death. This is why people snap and climb towers with rifles. Unless you're a tyrant or a moron there is no justice for you.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I suspect Ron Paul thinks of marriage as traditionally being a recognition of an enduring relationship between a man and a woman, but when one looks at it from a purely legal standpoint, it really is (with regards to government) a relationship between two people registered with and recognized by the government in order to receive certain tax and legal benefits - that's all marriage is in the eyes of gov't. I think Ron Paul would say that people are entitled to their own opinion on what the definition of marriage should be, but that it is inappropriate for the government to say who can and cannot marry (let us not of course make the logical fallacy of taking this argument ad absurdum).

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I curse everyday I have to share my one life with these idiots. Not just share it but submit under threats of force and violence to the parameters they dictate. This is why otherwise intelligent people drink themselves to death. This is why people snap and climb towers with rifles. Unless you're a tyrant or a moron there is no justice for you.

I know exactly how you feel. It almost makes me crazy, and I have to take a step back and take a deep breath. Its amazing how those in charge are so out of touch with reality. Screwed up little world we live in, the only thing I can do is try and be good to other people and do my best for my family and friends.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

There is a larger conspiracy though mostly forgotten in relatively short order.

The government initially used marriage as a racist check. Born from the slave trade and later glorified under popular eugenics. Government wanted to control the breeding of the population. Keep it pure and useful.

The churches signed on to share power and authority with the armed forces of government.

Marriage, as it is known today as a government institution, is born from hate, racism, control and power.

Government sanctioned marriage should be abolished completely and absolutely. The very idea that you or I or anybody has to apply for a license to couple is horrendous and absurd. Yet very few question it.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I just felt the need to highlight this for truth. All arguments about marriage have actually nothing to do with marriage but rather the benefits of certain state funded incentives given to those awarded that status. But it comes at the expense of your liberty and freedom of choice. People depend on the state way too much and forget too easily their true freedom.

top topics

join