It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'The world's dirtiest oil': Satellite photos reveal the relentless expansion of Canada's controv

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
More green peace propaganda lies. Canada as a whole produces less then 10% of global emissions. You wanna talk pollution? Look at china. Beijing. Wonder how long green peace would survive that air. Do your research before you bite the hand that feeds you.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
More green peace propaganda lies. Canada as a whole produces less then 10% of global emissions. You wanna talk pollution? Look at china. Beijing. Wonder how long green peace would survive that air. Do your research before you bite the hand that feeds you.

No actually.
Canada environmental spending has been slashed,
Canadian scientists are 'not allowed' to talk to journalists about global warming(or anything involved with it)

And yes, the way they have to seperate the oil from the other materials is extremely devastating to the environment. Look at what is in the trailing ponds, what deadly chemicals are in those, and are leaking into local water supplies and food chains.

also, canadian scientists are not allowed to talk about it, so how the hell do we know how much emissions canada is expelling? We don't know. The government is purposfully keeping said information from us because the tar sands are going to destroy the entire area.

Its not 'green peace' stuff, its valid fact. Don't like it, shouldn't have posted in this thread.
More MSM propaganda lies,
They are talking about this project being the most environmentally damaging, not how much greenhouse gasses canada expels. That figure doesn't matter in this conversation. Out of everything. The oil sands produced the most emissions out of any other oil project.
edit on 2/1/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Although I find this disgusting for the environment, at least Albertans get profit from this.

Quebec had found large masses of oil, at first it sounded great because the profit we're suppose to go to the province and country. Now, that F*^%$in bastard Lucien Bouchard is blatantly giving away our natural resources to foreign investors that don't give a damn about our land, that will pollute our nature and we, the people, will never get any profit what so ever of our natural resources.

Lucien Bouchard is a greedy, backstabbing son of a bitch. I would spit in his face if I get to see him in person.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
What a fantastic topic for my first ever post on here! See, I live in Alberta, work for the biggest Caterpillar dealer in the world, and I tend to be on the supporting side of the tar sands. Before you lash out at me, or think I'm some troll, please ponder a few simple facts. Bitumen crude is the backbone of almost a third of the US oil supply, and consists of 50% of canadian oil. Those are some pretty big numbers folks. What other viable options are there for energy sources at the current moment that are in the average consumers grasp?

Hybrid vehicles?
www.forbes.com...

Nuclear power?
Do I even need to post a link to this one?

Off shore/foreign oil?
*see above

The other option is hemp? Any idea what those fertilizers do to the soil? Heard of fertilizer runoff into watershed and wetlands? And what happens if Monsanto gets ahold of a GMO hempseed? You really want them controlling our food supply AND energy production? Give your head a shake.
Without fossil fuels I would not have a computer to read tripe like this.... A job to go to, or money to put food on the table for my family. Production, mining, and extraction of ANY energy source we utilize right now is harmful to the environment in some form or another... Plant it, mine it, whatever. It's just getting really tiring, hearing these interest and environmental groups whine about "dirty oil". We keep hearing about how Canada is a pretty big greenhouse gas contributor as well. Ever see those pictures of people in India and China walking around in a browny orange haze with a dust mask on? I don't recall seeing anyone EVER wearing one of those here. How about some of the rivers/garbage dumps down there as well? Maybe those tar sands really aren't the biggest world environmental crisis we are facing right now... But they keep coming up for some reason. Maybe check out the REforestation being done up there. The restoration of wetlands. These areas have had billions spent to restore them after they have been mined. That always seems to stay out of the media for some reason. The arguments against are well informed and very insightful, but the benefits of these projects far outweigh the drawbacks.
On another note, this hybrid car idea really kinda cracks me up. The cost of a HE vehicle is double to triple the cost of a gas or diesel powered vehicle to begin with, AND you still have to put fuel in it. Much less consumption of course, but who can afford one? I'll tell you! Those people who don't care about the cost of fuel to begin with, and if I'm given the option between a Prius or a Jeep, we're goin offroading fellas. Fact is... Fort Mac isn't the problem. The problem is that there is no viable alternative to the fuel we use currently. And it's a whole lot easier for people to complain and post pictures of tarsands than to actually do something about it. Until hybrid technology improves, or I don't have to go and raid the fryer oil bin at McDicks to make my own biodiesel, please oh please shut up about "dirty oil".... It's all dirty in some from.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Actually the hemp industry was around a long time ago, it was around WW2 after we looted German technology
did the chem companies start making products to replace hemp. Thus the making of mary-jane madness movies and outlawing hemp do to it's relations with the bad weed. I agree 100% that the growing of hemp would solve alot of our problems. Everytime I see forest clear cut I think of hemp

edit on 2-1-2012 by SmertSpionam1 because: FN retarded

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

Any thoughts?

Yeah sure...I's be happy to $8 a gallon for gas, how about you??? So how well do solar panels work in the north??? Yeah and how about wind generators, the last count I heard was 14,000 have been abandoned over the years due to high maintenance costs and were not cost effective. All we need are more tree huggers to jack up the cost of living, so much so we're buying all our crap from overseas. When people like yourself start putting food on my familys table and gas in my car then I might think about preserving this remote piece of land that nobody here has probably seen or never will. Maybe you should set an example for all of us here, sell your car, disconnect your electric, drop your ISP provider, start burning fire wood for heat and make sure your burning fallen timber. Better yet why don't you move your whole tribe to China or India and get those people straightened out, those countries have places so polluted they can't even breath. When your done there you can pack up and head for Japan and get all that radiation poisoning stopped that has Never been stopped, they're saying there's over 100,000 deaths now and Tokyo is fast becoming a ghost town. When you get all this done drop by and let us know how you made out.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Well go ahead and buy your oil from the middle east and support tyrannical governments.

It is funny to read the tree huggers thoughts about oil. Do you need alternative sources of energy - heck yes, peak oil is real and will further effect our lives, but until then - Texas Tea is where it is at.

Why don't these environmentalists go talk to China / India and the middle east and see where it will get them.
edit on 2-1-2012 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
One thing that they should use to seperate the oil from the sand is "graphene." and then mix water, oily sand, and graphene together. And the graphene will do wonders to seperate the oil from the sand, and also filtrates the water to make it reuseable or drinkable. It's very nice stuff. Just made from carbon
edit on 2-1-2012 by Shrukin89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Its about time the car/oil companies got to-gether on Methane, there's plenty of it about, it can even be produced from animal/human waste, Methane is more harmfull than CO2, it hold nearly 20% more heat than CO2, so turning Methane into CO2 would be a good thing,
As CO2 is only 383 parts per million, (thats less than one percent of the total atmosphere) its about time people realised just what a scam 'global warming' is.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
If I lived in america I would rather buy oil from tar sands in Canada and phase out oil imported from the middle east first.

An interesting idea is to chemically 'upgrade' coal via nuclear or renewable heat into fuel for vehicles. 150 rail-cars per day of coal plus a 940 MW (thermal) high temperature reactor providing hydrogen gas and process heat, could produce 50,000 barrels/day of ultra-clean diesel fuel.

Coal in Your Car’s Tank
edit on 3/1/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
That wouldn't be happening if there were not such ridiculous laws preventing normal drilling on land and in shallow waters. the oil rigs that are prevented from operating are the safest and cleanest, forcing dirtier, riskier, more environmentally dangerous and more expensive methods to be used! The people that outcry the loudest are ironically the ones most responsible for it's happening!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Sad, yet wahat can we do. I think we lost and theres no coming back sorry folks

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hemp planting in addition to crop rotation, could assure that there's little to no need for fertilizers. After all weeds seem to grow indefinitely without fertilization.

Supporters of current oil policies seem to ignore that Demand for oil is part of the problem, in addition to our generally inefficient lifestyles. those two factors keep working together to drive up prices year after year.

The bio-fuels market really has a lot of options, hemp, rapeseed, salicornia, and others. At this point defending oil is KIND OF like defending slavery. The energy industry in general are bordering on Financial and Environmental Terrorism at this point.

The trillions invested in securing oil from other countries through warfare, could have changed the very way the world works by now. It seems unimaginable to me that in this money driven world, a TRILLION dollars couldn't fix just about any problem.

Oil, Energy, Big Pharma, Defense spending, these groups or industries, have been making money for a long time and all the people they employ have enjoyed their success, as well these groups have worked along with political institutions to ensure the continuity of their respective businesses.

These potent industries have contributed so much to our lives, its hard to imagine abandoning so many millions worldwide who are a part of these industries. But these industries have poisoned waterways, scarred up natural lands, nearly extincted the gulf of mexico, and guess what? one day the families and decendants of the people who support/work for these industries will suffer the consequences along with the rest of us. we are all in this together.

There was a quote from jurassic park, forgive me for using it but....." Scientists were so caught up in the idea of "if we could", they didn't stop to think"if we should"..... I think with a large population this earth's people believing in Global Warming (caused by us humans and our chemicals) there shlould be a complimentary belief that the oil industry is bad and destructive.

In short, there is enough money being spent around the world to solve or eliminate our dependence on oil, whether from the sea or land or sands. Its a sh1++y product, one that ALL countries have been addicted to like crack babies, and I think the energy industry in all its iterations should be charged with treason or sedition or terrorism and be forced to use thier resources to free the world from its addiction to oil.

Oil has empowered nations to become forces of terror against the US, and its " a good thing"? REally?!?!?!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Nuclear power is the answer imo, thorium reactors are safer and can reuse waste i believe, they didn't take off because you can't make nuclear weapons with them. Imo we should be investing far more than we are now and trying a more local approach to distribution of power, wind turbines and solar panels just aren't enough to power a civilization like ours, nuclear power is the only rational option and perhaps hemp for textiles,plastics,biofuel etc. Oil will of course always be needed in one way or another, but we can drastically cut the amount we need. As for people who keep talking about China, they are going through one of the biggest industrial revolutions the world has seen and trying to build infrastructure for over a billion people, it is impossible to do this without lots of pollution, especially this century.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Try looking at some satellite photos of Nigerian oil fields.

Anyone who says the oil sands are the 'dirtiest oil on the planet' must be out of their mind.

I recommend the book "Ethical Oil" by Ezra Levant; it clearly outlines exactly how and why Alberta oil is safer, cleaner, and more ethical than oil from Nigeria, Russia, Venezuela, or the middle east.

With numbers... rather than hyperbole.

Sincerely,

An albertan

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

The fact that the American public doesn't care concerns me. The fact that people say "I like Obama" "I like Hillary"

Both of those chowderheads are talking about the pipeline as if it is a good option. It's not. It won't be a good option...Soon Canada and the US will have the same level of birth defects and pollution as China...It won't happen overnight but in 3 years time we'll see some "change"

It's been a work in progress long before Obummer came to office. It's absolutely absurd to consider destroying a fresh water supply for short term gain. Why don't we just compost all of poop in methane digestors?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
What I can't believe is that there are idiots in the US Congress that want to build a pipeline to ship this stuff to Texas.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
We are all very dependant on petroleum and its by-products. This is the supply chain free of radiation, war, and deep water drilling we all need before we make the transition to cold fusion! The U.S.A. is buying it from their best friends, allies and bothers from another mother!
brice

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join