It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Mollusk Blood Could Cure Cancer - Popsci

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Source: www.popsci.com...

Seems like everyday I see a new potential cure for cancer. This particular approach can be used to treat addiction, and that's where I will make it fit for ATS

How it works:

The giant keyhole limpet’s hemolymph carries a protein that is the essential component of a new cancer vaccine. Keyhole limpet hemocyanin (KLH) carries oxygen in limpet blood. It is an unusually large protein—near virus size—and contains many epitopes, which trigger our body to produce antibodies. When doctors inject KLH into the human bloodstream, it provokes a powerful immune response. If markers for a certain cancer are attached to KLH, the immune system can be stimulated to attack them. Unlike some synthetic alternatives, KLH is nontoxic. Researchers use the protein in cancer vaccines to “break tolerance,” says Frank Oakes, the CEO of Stellar Biotechnologies

How it's produced:

KLH is too big and complicated to synthesize, so giant keyhole limpets still offer the best, most stable supply of the protein. Before extraction, Stellar employees move the limpets to tanks indoors. Researchers use a syringe to extract the limpet’s blood and then isolate KLH using a centrifuge. It takes about 16 weeks before the mollusk has fully recuperated and is ready for its next extraction. Limpets can also be harvested in the wild, but they die during the extraction process. There aren’t enough limpets in the sea to keep up this method.

Applications:

Breaking tolerance can also be used to treat addiction. Down the coast from Stellar’s lot, in La Jolla, scientists at Scripps Research Institute used KLH to make a vaccine that cuts out the euphoric effects of a heroin high. In their experiment, researchers gave addicted rats a cocktail of heroin-like molecules attached to KLH. Like the cancer vaccine, the protein provoked an immune response to suppress the high. Later, given the option to self-administer heroin, most rats stopped using the drug. Human trials are under way for a similar KLH-based vaccine to treat addiction to nicotine and coc aine.

More than a dozen vaccines that use KLH are in clinical trials, and a treatment for bladder cancer is now approved for use in Europe and Asia.

The article says that clinical trials are underway to develop vaccines for nicotine and coc aine. Could this be the thing that wins the war on drugs? It's pretty obvious that demand in the U.S. feeds all of the violence on the supply side of the fence. Some favor decriminalization in order to stop the illegal trade, but what if the next generation can't get addicted to coc aine?

A heroine vaccine has the obvious flaw that most pain killers are opioids, so getting your wisdom teeth out suddenly becomes a horribly painful ordeal because the 'tabs don't work.

Regardless, potential cures for cancer always get me excited.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
And next thing you know FDA will will declare mollusk blood "unsafe" for consumption for various health reasons

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

They've taken the article down from your link and they've also taken it down from other links too (why? I don't know).....however I managed to find some of the article here......

cancerlabtechperspective.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Seems to be working for me. I can read it online and on my phone app so....
maybe you're having a problem? Idk.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Eat delicious sea food and get extra health benefits?

Sounds good to me, too bad the contaminates will counter the benefits of this find in the long run

I hope I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

This is what I get......

Page not found

www.popsci.com.au...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Depends where you get your seafood from. Anything in the Pacific or the Gulf of Mexico I would'nt touch with a 10 foot barge poll

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Eat delicious sea food and get extra health benefits?

Sounds good to me, too bad the contaminates will counter the benefits of this find in the long run

I hope I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

Vaccines work because they enter the body without going through the stomach. Stomach acid denatures the proteins changing their shape. An immune response to a denatured protein wouldn't do anything beneficial.

Contaminates in sea food will counter the benefits of curing cancer? Did you even read the article? They aren't talking about eating anything.

edit on 1-1-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Having survived major cancer surgery only eight months ago, I'm highly appreciative for these awesome rays of hope! S&F, OP. The wonders of Nature and working with her, rather than against her, keeps me optimistic towards everyone at risk. Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

LOL I skimmed through the article, and saw the yummy shellfish. It got my appetite going.

Whoops

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The Mollusk blood actually has only a little to do with the curing-cancer part of it. It's just an effective adjuvant to tell the immune system "yo, look here". Important, but the substrate of the vaccine, not the brain.

The real science is deciding on what epitopes from what kind of cancers to put on the vaccine, which ones will inhibit cancer the most effectively and cause the least damage to normal tissue.

Cancer laughs off what would be effective attacks against bacteria. You can get antibodies sticking to cancer cells and they keep on trucking. I'm not an expert here but really you need to inhibit those receptors which are in fact really key to the cancer's growth---attacking a truly functional part, like gumming up a car's air intake instead of its fender----and which are not going to be mutated away.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

This is what I get......

Page not found

www.popsci.com.au...

remove that .au bit and it should work fine.

Edit:

Originally posted by mbkennel

The real science is deciding on what epitopes from what kind of cancers to put on the vaccine, which ones will inhibit cancer the most effectively and cause the least damage to normal tissue.

I second that. The future of science is very exciting.
edit on 1/1/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

top topics

join