It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hotels for the Homeless

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
We stayed at a discount hotel a couple days ago that I had a coupon for off the internet (I paid $40, normal rate was $60). It was no Holiday Inn or Marriott of course, but it was clean and decent.

I was sitting in the hot tub with a lady who was living there with her two children. She explained how they lived there for $600 per month, with free heat, free electricity, free phone, wi-fi and free cable. They lived on her disability payments. (She had one hand that was completely useless due to an accident when she was 3, and her husband had died). They washed their clothes in the bathtub and hung them up to dry to save money.
They had a pool, a hot tub, free game tables (ping pong, pool, air hockey).
All for $600 per month.
She went on to explain that apartment rent was $900 per month minimum without the free utilities and services.

She also went on to explain how the homeless come in at night. I had noticed that the outside doors did not require the "key card" provided for room entry, they all remained unlocked. I also noticed the people who were bringing Ramen Noodles etc. with them. Alot of the people I saw after 8pm of course looked homeless, Unwashed clothes/stocking caps etc.
I think the homeless probably got to stay in the unoccupied rooms for a lot less money than the "monthly rent" amount.

Apparently alot of people live in this hotel because when I walked in the front door about 7am for my coffee in the lobby, she asked my room number cause she thought I might have some mail.

I think this is a heart warming gesture, opening the doors and empty rooms to the homeless. (But at the same time, I found myself not allowing my children (teenagers) to be unattended at any time)

So, I thought I try to find some info about other hotels doing this:

The hotel management works with churches and ministries to provide low-cost lodging for homeless people.

He has about 12-14 people staying at the hotel at any given time, he said. Kruse helped Clay pay a few days' rent, giving him the chance to catch his second wind. Clay found a part-time job as a day shift coordinator at the Applebee's restaurant in Wentzville."My only problem was having a warm place to sleep, get up, shave and get to my job," Clay said. "I just needed a stable place for a few weeks. The rest will come. Now it is up to me."Read more: www.stltoday.com...# ixzz1i9MMO5Ld

Read more: www.stltoday.com...# ixzz1i9LtMX00

I think this is great, people opening their doors to the homeless like this in any way they can to help. Alot of people may get the helping they need to get back up on their feet and continue on in life.

Any thoughts on this from fellow ATS members?

edit on 31-12-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
I think this is great, people opening their doors to the homeless like this in any way they can to help. Alot of people may get the helping they need to get back up on their feet and continue on in life.

Any thoughts on this from fellow ATS members?

My thoughts run a little angry on this. Oh..not for the lady or others living there for $600. Good for them, indeed! The problem isn't how they are living with all the benefits for that rate. It's how I'm paying twice that rate for less than she has and I don't get maid service. Wow.. Who is the sucker in the end? I'm only dealing with a $500 mortgage too...tiny as I've been reminded by others many times. Yet..my nut is closer to 1,100 for the basics of TV, phone, power and the little things that keep it all working.

Sometimes I envy those in her position and think we're the ones who chose poorly. The cold hard facts are, she lives with just about everything I have...at 50% off and no maintenance expenses when things break. Ugh...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I have to agree with you to some extent. We pay alot more per night, etc.
On the other hand, after that conversation with her about all this, I went back to my room and thought about what it must be like to be couped up in a 15X20 room day in and day out with 2 kids and no job, very little room for personal belongings,

I came to the conclusion that I felt sorry for her and especially her kids, even if she was happy living that way. It's no way to raise a family if you can do better.

But it beats living in a car or in the streets if you have no alternative.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

True on the serious limits of life in a room that small with a family. I guess I suffered a momentary case of 'The Grass is Greener'. lol.... Everything has it's trade offs and given that to consider, you make a good point on the trade off's she makes to live on monthly nut so small. It's a crazy world we're in these days isn't it?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

It's a crazy world we're in these days isn't it?

I agree completely!

I understand and share your mixed thoughts/feelings about this.

edit on 31-12-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In NYC there is a homeless organization called EAU (Emergency Assistance Unit). There if you can provide proof of being homeless, especially families, you are shipped on a school bus (with many others) with your belongings, to a hotel. The hotel charges from $500-$800 per night per person, to stay for the night, or a week, depending what tier in the system you are in.

If you just started you and your family can stay till the morning where the bus will pick you back up, and take you back to the center. Then you are investigated thoroughly, the place you were living prior will be visited by the agency, and there has to be a sufficient reason why you cannot stay there.

If the reason is not good enough (domestic violence, or abuse) you are told to leave, and restart the process over again.

I was in that system years ago, and asked the management why they would allow homeless people to stay, because I thought that was very nice. They told me that you can put in a bid for your hotel, for the whole thing or partially, where regular guests remain in one part and the homeless in another, and they can change per person, per night, directly to the EAU, or the state, the same as a landlord that excepts section 8 gets a bonus, and more then other landlords.

I thought that was very shady, and the state knew that they were being robbed, but didn't care, the more money they spend, the more they get.

With the money they spend on 10 families per month at a hotel, they can buy entire homes for 20 families for life.

Its a system to force others to remain in the system. I for one have helped many people in NYC, since I have moved to the Midwest, to get out of the state programs, and move on their own. Many people have been happier including myself.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
What a great story and reality! I am all for any business that can see its way to helping a fellow human being get back their dignity and self worth. Keeping clean and tidy is so important - particularly when job hunting. I think of all the flash hotels who would rather have empty rooms than allow a fellow human to sleep in comfort and get proper rest and be safe!

Great story - thank you for posting - cheered me up and lifted my Spirit.

Much Peace...

new topics

top topics

join