It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red marks are scary for students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Red's legacy as the color used in correcting papers and marking mistakes goes back to the 1700s.It seems that red F mark on a test is just too scary for some kids now. So bring on the purple.

"If you see a whole paper of red, it looks pretty frightening," said Sharon Carlson, a health and physical education teacher at John F. Kennedy Middle School in Northampton. "Purple stands out, but it doesn't look as scary as red."

What is happening to our schools? Oh no red me feel scared and sad why dont you just use purple.

"A mix of red and blue, the color purple embodies red's sense of authority but also blue's association with serenity, making it a less negative and more constructive color for correcting student papers, "

What kind of hippie crap is this
I see this is going alittle far, when did this sensitivity stuff get so out of hand that a red mark is to much for a student to deal with. How is this preparing a child for the real world will he have a break down when he receives a pink slip from there work? Maybe they can get a nice mellow yellow slip instead.

Is this going to far?

www.boston.com... on/k_12/articles/2004/08/23/purple_not_red_is_becoming_teachers_new_pen_pal/

www.poe-news.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
"Hippie crap"

Try not to offensive, some people here are hippies still, at least sort of.

I suppose you are not a student, but do you have any idea how bad it is when you get a paper full of red marks? *sobs loudly.*

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
yea i agree that is pretty retarded. also hippies suck.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I got some papers in Spanish that looked like a treasure map made by a drunken pirate Red Xs every where.Man I had a hard time with foreign languages. I never found the color red frightening and I dont want to think what spinless wuss would.

School is suppose to help get you ready for the real world. If you cant take something like red marks your not going to go far in life.

I can bet you this idea was not cooked up in the head of a conservative this has hippie written all over it.

"blue's association with serenity"

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
What the ()&(*&!!. I will not even comment on this.

kid:Mommy my teacher used red pen on me today.
you: SLAP, shut the hell up boy. (Sends him off to war to make him into a real man.)

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
thats whats good about australia.

1. there is no 'F' grade. E is lowest.
2. im pretty sure most teachers dont use red markers. most teachers just give like a total score then a corresponding mark. its in whatever color pen they teacher could find.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
actually, where i am red is required for bad marks, if im not mistaken.

top topics

join