It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could You Stomach These Great Depression Meals?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I discovered this over the weekend, Kosher Dill Pickles (the whole kind but in bite form) mixed with JAX cheese curls. I was shocked at how good they are!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish614

I am not a big cheese person.
But, if I have my Tabasco handy, I think I would be ok.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I don't think there is anything in the food kingdom that i wouldn't be able to eat.

A friend recently asked me if I've ever tried peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. To which i replied by punching him in the face.

Then I decided, to give it a chance. Sliced up a good ole dill pickle, lathered on the peanut butter....

Wow, was pretty damn different and good. My kids also love this.

Even better was then I found out that you are supposed to fry it like a grilled cheese sandwich. haha.

Wow x2.

I'm pretty sure I could eat a bacon grease sandwich too. lol

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
These foods are not so bad. When i saw the headline i was thinking "bug soup" or something
nasty. Grits,tomato sandwiches,sauerkraut sandwiches w mustard, Dandelion leaves, all still sound yummy!
Most high grade bird seed can be sprouted and the baby sprouts are very nutritious im told. Its all about
how you perceive it i guess. Id personally rather eat any of the above over a toxic cancer causing McDonalds
meal any day!

Someone should start a thread for survival recipes as well as a do and dont about wild grown flowers-weeds ect.
edit on 30-12-2011 by trig_grl because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-12-2011 by trig_grl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
These foods would be devoured with fever by over 2 billion of the worlds population right now.

I could happily eat any of these recipes if i was hungry and the vast majority of you would do the same.

It's all perspective, see?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

Mostly they are cheap foods with a little fat or sugar. Bread, potatoes, rice, grits, dried beans, and corn meal are cheap and filling. Tomatoes and cucumbers are almost free if you grow them. My grandmother had a ceramic bowl that was used only for saving bacon grease.

Many people today don't know how to cook anything that isn't out of a box..

Poor people today fill up on ready made cereal

What will be cheap next year? Probably the same kind of foods with little processing.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Though this one concerns me a bit -- Squirrel =/
reply to post by SolidFaith

I've had squirrel - doesn't taste bad but very little
meat on the bones. Hardly worth the kill if you
can get a rabbit instead - much better.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
Can someone tell me what Chipped Beef is - with a description? What do you do with the beef once it is chipped?Thank you.

Much Peace...

Melt butter or bacon grease in a frying pan. Add flour and stir until it becomes a brown paste. Add milk and keep stiring. Add chipped dried beef. Por over unbuttered toast. It is sort of like a white gravy with salty meat.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Lard sandwiches are wonderful. Its nothing like criso ! We melt down a block of beef fat slowly over medium heat, in a separate pan fry up some diced onions and some bacon bits in a spoonful of lard of course and cook them until they are crunchy but not burnt. Now add them to the melted lard also add a dash of pepper and now you let it cool . I pour mine into a Pyrex loaf bread pan and once its cool spread on some white bread salt to season and its surprisingly good!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostsock
reply to post by pavil

Lard sandwiches are wonderful. Its nothing like criso ! We melt down a block of beef fat slowly over medium heat, in a separate pan fry up some diced onions and some bacon bits in a spoonful of lard of course and cook them until they are crunchy but not burnt. Now add them to the melted lard also add a dash of pepper and now you let it cool . I pour mine into a Pyrex loaf bread pan and once its cool spread on some white bread salt to season and its surprisingly good!

Man, my stomach just turned.
Being from the South, I know of these things, like using bacon grease crumbled on salad and so on.
But, I gotta draw the line in eating lard-anything.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Yeah, I could stomach most of those. Some of them do sound pretty terrible. But when you are truly hungry, I bet even the pickiest eater would not pass up a lard sandwich.

My grandfather ( turned 93 in November and healthy and still very active) lived through the Great Depression. He has told me of some of the things he ate to get by. Skunk was even on the menu a few times. Just anything that he was lucky enough to trap.

He also used to save lard in order to make soap. I am not sure how to do that, but I have looked it up and it was done.

They were tough times that I hope I never have to experience myself. But if I do and I am hungry enough, yeah, I will eat what I have to in order to survive and anyone who is honest, will admit the same.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

When you are litterally DYING of hunger you would be suprised what you will eat. Faced with death people have gone so far as to eat their own feces and drink their own urine. All in all it depends, do you WANT to die? Are you willing to do ANYTHING not to die? Or would you rather die so that you dont have to eat milk toast? Remember the guy that cut his own arm off with a pen knife so that he wouldnt die?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Two words

Theme restaurant

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I love cream chipped beef on toast was raised on it, we call it something else though, S--- on a shingle.

but, none of that seems icky to me,

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NotThat

My mom use to make a tomato paste on toast with stewed tomatoes and flour, it is really good.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
No problems there. I've eaten worse-including bugs. So, no big deal.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy

Though this one concerns me a bit -- Squirrel =/
reply to post by SolidFaith

I've had squirrel - doesn't taste bad but very little
meat on the bones. Hardly worth the kill if you
can get a rabbit instead - much better.

Lived on squirrel, rabbit and fish game birds, talking about meat on the bones the best is frog legs, but there is never enough.

I make the best baked rabbit you ever tasted, use to cook for an army of friends.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

We still eat like that,

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I am gonna drop this bomb and leave....
The captive German Whermacht prisoners taken in Stalingrad (some 90,000 troops)
Were marched through subzero weather to internment camps (from which i think only three thousand were ever repatriated to germany)needless to say food was scrce there....
Some enterprising troopie even strained the offal of the camp to collect the undigested corn kernels from it and and after washing and drying it,resold it on the camps black market to his peers......
Just sayin......

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There's one my Grandmother used to make. From wartime rationing. All in a frying pan. Bacon(it used to be cheap), stewed tomatoes, cheese and a little milk. Spice it to taste and serve it on toast. It doesn't look like much but it's tasty as hell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join