Could You Stomach These Great Depression Meals?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I remember reading about this lady a while ago, i hope you find her as interesting as i do.

91 year old cook and great grandmother, Clara, recounts her childhood during the Great Depression as she prepares meals from the era. Learn how to make simple yet delicious dishes while listening to stories from the Depression.

I also found this small thread here on her as well.
ATS Thread, Cooking During an Economic Depression,

Love and Harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
had most of those at various times in the past. also had grubs, spiders, scorpions, bat, monkey, dog, horse .. theres alot of things that are edible .. cant be a picky eater if you want to survive.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The only two I wouldn't and haven't eaten are these:
Lard sandwiches
Bacon grease sandwiches

It's strickly do to the fact that it's unhealthy. I've eaten all manner of food growing up poor.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I already eat quite a few of the things on the list, the only thing I would have a gripe with eating is the bacon lard sandwich, unless it was hot lard and not the cold white nasty lard

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

When you are starving, anything is good....so yes, I would eat it. It's called "survival" after all. You would eat anything you could find if you were starving.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Ohhh I have seen this lady....she's wonderful! Do you know if she's still alive?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I still have bacon greasy sammiches.
There's always a race to the bacon grease in my house.

Beef or Pork dripping sandwiches or on toast. Always partial to a bit of animal lard.
Sugar sarnies, used to sneak them as a kid.
Hot milk and rice is just rice pudding isn't it?
Hot dogs and beans, still eat them out of a tin occasionally.
How the hell is egg on toast odd?
Onion sarnies are awesome.
Bread and gravy is better and nicer than a kick in the undercrackers.
edit on 30-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I grew up in Quebec in the 70s and our favorite after school snack or dinner was macaroni and just tomato juice , I still eat it sometimes as comfort food ! We also used to catch barbotte ( catfish ) and my aunt would make white sauce , bit of fried lard , flour , salt pepper . She said it was from the depression years ?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Oh Stealthy i'm not sure, her last blog entry was April 14 2010

depressioncooking.blogspot

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

I ate 'Sunshine' sammies for a long while - What are they you ask? Sunshine mustard on cheap sliced bread.
YUM!

Added Note: Sunshine mustard does not endorse this post.

Even now I eat for fuel.

Boiled greens for lunch in their own water. Plain pasta with just a touch of olive oil and salt for dinner.

Get over the food people - it's nothing but another 'acceptable' drug - and a HUGE control mechanism.

peace

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I used to drink the drained cabbage water as a kid.
Got to do something good to counteract all that lard.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I am curious...what do you eat for breakfast? Your food bill must be low. The way you eat pasta...I eat it that way too...I eat whole wheat -whole grains pasta...it has fiber and protein.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

While not from the Depression, my Mom always told me how they ate Lard Sandwiches......just two slices of bread with Lard in the middle. Always sounded gross to me, but she claimed it tasted like buttered bread. I've never tried to verify how it tastes.............anyone here?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NowanKenubi
When I go outside, I have the habit of eating the colored part of clover leaf flowers. It has a nice perfume and taste.
White tender root parts of grass is also cool to eat. I never fell sick from both, but you have to be patient to have a noticeable plate!

I do that too. The flowers have a nice sweet taste
I would think they're good for us.

I can't imagine putting cucumber and mustard together, but cucumber and mayonaise sandwiches are good. Milk toast - I would substitute bread pudding.

There are lots of things on that list that I would or do eat, but jumble around the ingredients or cook them different. Fried cabbage is good, I would not add lard or bacon grease to anything, but I would use it to fry things in.

Dandelions are good and healthy. As are some other weeds, and the clovers....

I remember one of my Aunts telling me she once babysat for a bag of onions, and fed her whole family creamed onions that night....

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamingawake
Could You Stomach These Great Depression Meals?

With all the talk about food storage and growing our own food, I did a little digging around to find out what some people ate during America’s Great Depression of the 1930?s. ...
cont...here

# Milk toast
# Chipped beef on toast
# Cucumber and mustard sandwiches
# Mayonnaise sandwiches
# Ketchup sandwiches

Source

Article lists, some posted above, meals ate during the great Depression.

Tried any of these(the more uncommon for today foods)? Likes, dislikes?

you can stomach pretty much anything that won't kill you when you're hungry enough, trust me on that.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I don't know where you live, but I was raised on these same foods and I am not complaining at all.

They did leave off some of my favorites though.

Try some pea sausage or acorn bread. Or how about some possum dumplings .

When you are born poor, you learn survival real early in life.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I grew up eating a lot of the things listed. I guess we were too poor to know the difference, We always used to tease my dad that he would eat anything that he could put between two pieces of bread.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I was a teenager before I found out that not everyone eats squirrel. We always had a freezer full of squirrel and rabbit.
I can't count the number of stews my mom made that had some kind of mystery meat in them. I keep telling my wife that hard times are coming and we better be prepared. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I am pretty picky and always eat one thing at a time.

But I actually already eat toast a lot by itself.
Also I eat cucumbers too, by itself.

Anyone who puts mustard on a cucumber is venturing into dark territory imho.

Try pickles in mustard. Very good.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I could probably choke down any of those so long as I have my Tabasco sauce.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join