It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foot Long, Half Pound Shrimp Invade Gulf of Mexico

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Invasive species are never fun, but this looks like it can be bad. This part of the article caught my attention.

Though no one is sure what the ecological impact will be, scientists fear a tiger prawn takeover could knock nature's balance out of whack and turn a healthy, diverse marine habitat into one dominated by a single invasive species.

Healthy, diverse marine habitat?

Corexit or crude oil ring a bell?

Why do you think they planted the shrimp there.

The giant shrimp is the Gulf issue new fall guy. First it was Tony... Tony had enough... now it's the shrimp.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I became allergic to shrimps at 15... Boy, am I glad I did when I see this ugly tiger...
It looks more like a disgusting pervert lobster than a sexy shrimp, in my IMHO!!!

Long live small pinky shrimps!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

they are a delicacies in Asia, they taste very much like prawns, and we cook it together with noddles and starched gravy...that noddle dish itself cost double the usual price because of the prawns..over here, we eat the head as well
..usually we call them "big head prawn"

Hokkiien noddle with tiger prawn

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
Ah, the effects of fukishima

This is only the beginning

Good Point - and what about those Modified Mosquito's they've released.

It sounds like these (according to the article) are as a result of accidental release of farmed prawns.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I made a seafood gumbo last night, and I truly wish I had one, yes ONE of these in my pot. Forget crawfish boils, more like TIGER PRAWN boils!! I'm losing my mind over here, slapping that baby on my grill with lime juice, paprika, green onion, garlic, cilantro...

I just lost it.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Look you never know what this could bring, some crazy big, contaminated seafood that will cost $60.00 a pound. Of course most of us cant afford it. I say we wait till the next Bildergerg meeting, or one of those behind closed doors meetings, and hope that they think they are fancy enough to eat as many as they can.

You see disaster.... I see possible solution

Peace, NRE.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

It is a HUUUUUGE shrimp
it could literally take out all
the other shrimp.
This is a real *jumbo shrimp*

...and therein lies the problem.

The shrimp it replace make up a pretty important link in the food chain. That being food for well - dang near every other commercial or sport fish that swims in the Gulf at one time or another in their life cycle. Many for their entire life cycle.

This guy could crowd out (or even eat) the native, smaller shrimp along with crabs, etc. From the looks of the pic these shrimp are just too big for many juvenile fish and other animals that prey on the native shrimp to eat.

So yeah, I'd like a foot long shrimp to snack on as well as anybody. But not if it means no more redfish, snook, sea trout, snook, etc because of the disruption to the food chain.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Dang that thing is huge!

Next time I go shrimping, im going to be doing it with hand grenades and my 12 gauge

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

were going to need a bigger frying pan

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
You see! this is why Australians call them prawns instead of shrimp... sometimes 'shrimp' just doesn't suit.
2nd line

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I wonder if some other predatory species will follow the prawns as they spread.

I imagine tuna would love to eat these. Might make for better fishing.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
oh my gosh, i could imagine the amount of food a group of these would need.

it also reminds me of a converstion my husband told me about between his buddy's

One bloke was saying his girlfriend was like a prawn.
Another bloke replied...What she has poo running down her back?

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
*Begins making rice for jambalaya*

Challenge accepted sir....

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Though no one is sure what the ecological impact will be, scientists fear a tiger prawn takeover could knock nature's balance out of whack and turn a healthy, diverse marine habitat into one dominated by a single invasive species.

Healthy, diverse marine habitat?

Corexit or crude oil ring a bell?

That's the first thing I thought of too. Who are they kidding with "healthy" habitat?

Maybe these shrimp are somehow nature's way of combatting it?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
That would have been fantastic with tonight's pasta...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

No doubt! We finally see the effects of Radiation hitting our sea creatures after an unbelievable and unreported amount of radiation hit our waters, and shorelines. Oh, and no doubt has rained down on our land

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I have never seen anything like this prawn or shrimp its huge! and weighs a half-pound i don't think i could eat that whole thing ..Thanks for posting this op
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
hey OP using giant and shrimp in the same phrase ....

lets see, they caught one over here and three over there....I'm starting to really worry

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

With all the other supposed DOOM! going on over the next year, I'm a little weirded out and vocab reflects it. That and that tasty looking crawdad has my mouth watering.
Thanks Popsmayhem.
edit on 30-12-2011 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't know whether to say, "everybody, run for your lives!" or "yum!" (Though yum is leading..
)

That's a big shrimp!
Holy crow...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join