It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zohydro will become the new "Oxycontin"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Zohydro will become the new "Oxycontin"

www.examiner.com

The change in scheduling between oxycodone and hydrocodone leads the public to believe one is stronger than the other. They just don’t prescribe hydrocodone above 10mgs nor just the chemical alone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Fri Dec 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: shortened quote

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Actually, I think it's about time the public got a vicodin alternative that didn't have acetaminophen in it.

Taking too much acetaminophen

It's Ok to die from taking too much medicine, but LORDY, we don't want people to be addicted to it!

edit on 28-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
You are not allowed to promote the use of illegal drugs on this site.

I don't believe that has been done on this thread, yet.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Well then lets keep that way shall we and talk about the crookedness of FDA and drug lobbying in the pharmaceutical industry.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
You know, it's probably a sad statement when my first thought was "thank god my friend matt is already gone, or this would be the thing that kills him."

I don't think this will increase the making of addicts, but i think it will make current addicts VERY happy and VERY dead.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Addicts are very good customers for big pharma, they consume huge quantities and will not stop (lest they endure horrid sickness of withdrawal) so they are very loyal customers. Some will spend every penny they get on it.

Its all big $$$$

Makes you wonder bout their motivation towards making less addictive products.

edit on 28-12-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I have to disagree. Hydrocodone is nowhere near as strong as oxycodone (amazing how much difference 1 molecule can make). Even if you can get straight hydrocodone without the Tylenol I don't think anyone hooked on oxy's is going to switch over. They might be easier to get but the addiction to oxycodone is rather specific and cannot be satisfied with any other drug.
Coal mining states will still be a mess until we can start treating drug addicts as a medical problem instead of a criminal problem.
There are entire families in prison over this drug. It's time to stop destroying families and ruining lives in an ignorant, un-winnable war against substance addiction. It's only because they're illegal that it has become profitable to deal in them and unless there are other opportunities for employment people will continue to turn to dealing to pay the bills.
Just one more "war" the US needs to stop fighting.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It will be a mess until we stop treating "pain" with "pain management" as a ailment and a cure. Pain has a cause, and treating the underlying cause is a cure, not just masking it with pain management.

Here in Florida 7 people per day die from prescription medicines, and many of them are not addicts at all. A cousin of mine died a few months ago. He took the prescribed dosage, and went to bed, and never woke up. The combination of pain meds and anti-depressants in a body that hadn't built up tolerances for it, was enough to stop his breathing instinct. There is a specific name for it, but I can't remember it right this second, but as you sleep, your breathing slows to a point that it should trigger an emergency response, and a shot of adrenalin raises your heartrate and reminds you to breath. With a combination of pain killers and anti-depressants, that instinct is subdued and sometimes you just don't breath anymore until you are dead.

The doctors are to blame. They should not be pacifying people with pain meds and anti-depressants. They should be helping people to live healthier and either destroy or embrace the causes for their pain (mental and physical.)

Personally, I love pain. Pain means I'm alive. It means I still have a fighting chance. I've been hurt very seriously, and it didn't hurt a bit. I know that if I'm felling a great deal of pain, then I've got a good chance of getting through whatever is ailing me at the moment. Once that dull numbness sets in, then your fighting chances are eroding quickly. If you intentionally put yourself in that dull, numb state with pharmaceuticals, then you are giving up on life.

For the record, I hate pain meds, and I barely tolerate doctors.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It will be a mess until we stop treating "pain" with "pain management" as a ailment and a cure. Pain has a cause, and treating the underlying cause is a cure, not just masking it with pain management.

Here in Florida 7 people per day die from prescription medicines, and many of them are not addicts at all. A cousin of mine died a few months ago. He took the prescribed dosage, and went to bed, and never woke up. The combination of pain meds and anti-depressants in a body that hadn't built up tolerances for it, was enough to stop his breathing instinct. There is a specific name for it, but I can't remember it right this second, but as you sleep, your breathing slows to a point that it should trigger an emergency response, and a shot of adrenalin raises your heartrate and reminds you to breath. With a combination of pain killers and anti-depressants, that instinct is subdued and sometimes you just don't breath anymore until you are dead.

The doctors are to blame. They should not be pacifying people with pain meds and anti-depressants. They should be helping people to live healthier and either destroy or embrace the causes for their pain (mental and physical.)

Personally, I love pain. Pain means I'm alive. It means I still have a fighting chance. I've been hurt very seriously, and it didn't hurt a bit. I know that if I'm felling a great deal of pain, then I've got a good chance of getting through whatever is ailing me at the moment. Once that dull numbness sets in, then your fighting chances are eroding quickly. If you intentionally put yourself in that dull, numb state with pharmaceuticals, then you are giving up on life.

For the record, I hate pain meds, and I barely tolerate doctors.

I agree with you 100% My mom is on several meds (and lives in Florida incidently) Slow release morphine, with Hydros for "break-through pain" ??? Anti depressants, anti anxiety-two kinds and a wealth of others to treat the symptoms caused by all the meds. It makes me really sad to know that she is in a constant stupor, she functions and all but does she feel anything? She cries alot and I think it is from guilt from being on so many drugs. I can't talk her out of it, she knows she is hooked. I worry about her alot, she isn't stable anymore.

I believe the same thing about pain myself, physical and mental. I have spinal scholeosis, which causes intermittent pain and nerve problems. Popping a pain pill would surely make it all better, but I am only thirty. What happens when I'm fifty and still in the same boat? I'd have to be doing heroine by that point! Mental pain? Everyone is unhappy at some point in their lives. You have to address those feelings and work through them, not dope yourself up in hopes that they will go away. It is part of the human process. Feeling is how the body communicates with the brain that something is amiss.

Lastly. Ever seen the commercial on TV for the antidepressant to take if your already on an antidepressant and are still depressed? That cracks me up. Those commercials should be banned, thank God I am a one show a week kind of girl or there would be a hole in the TV screen from me throwing stuff at it during commercial!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

I hate those commercials too! The little coat of depression is kind of cute though. It almost makes you want to be depressed and have that little guy following you around.

Good luck with your mom. It is extremely difficult to get off of those pain meds, especially if the doctors won't help you. Holistic treatments can sometimes replace the pain meds. Vitamin B injections, and exercise or Yoga, but you have to have a doctor that will embrace the change. Most docs are happy with just monitoring the drugs and keeping the patient pacified.

The other thing that really bugs me is........ why are so many people in so much pain? Are we becoming that unhealthy, or just that intolerant of pain, or is there a genetic problem messing up people's spines and knees and hips? Why are so many people hurting all the time? Is it different than in decades past, or is it just a result of marketing the pain meds?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Prescription pain medicine addiction is a huge problem. It seems that it has spread to every region and you hear about it all the time now.

There was an ER doctor here that was the butt of a running joke at the pharmacy. They would say 'Well, Dr. N must be back in town, vicodin for everyone!'

And he really did give almost everyone a 30 count bottle.

The problem now, is that you have people abusing the system, trying to get pills they don't really need and then when someone genuinely needs them, they don't want to give them out because maybe you're an addict.

I went to the ER with a kidney stone about 2 years ago. I was made to submit to a drug test before they would give me anything for the pain. I ended up passing the thing (they were shocked by how big it was and they were surprised I was able to pass it on my own) before they could get me anything. But I see that as a problem. So many people are seeking prescription drugs that they have to question every single person that walks through the door.

Very sad, in my opinion.
edit on 28-12-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dancerolivia
You know, it's probably a sad statement when my first thought was "thank god my friend matt is already gone, or this would be the thing that kills him."

I don't think this will increase the making of addicts, but i think it will make current addicts VERY happy and VERY dead.

You make a very provocative point here: if the FDA and other government entities are so aware of the addictive properties of oxycodone and its corresponding mortality rate, why make something MORE addicitve and MORE deadly? Every day, this whole eugenics philosophy grows longer, sharper teeth.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I hate those commercials too! The little coat of depression is kind of cute though. It almost makes you want to be depressed and have that little guy following you around.

Good luck with your mom. It is extremely difficult to get off of those pain meds, especially if the doctors won't help you. Holistic treatments can sometimes replace the pain meds. Vitamin B injections, and exercise or Yoga, but you have to have a doctor that will embrace the change. Most docs are happy with just monitoring the drugs and keeping the patient pacified.

The other thing that really bugs me is........ why are so many people in so much pain? Are we becoming that unhealthy, or just that intolerant of pain, or is there a genetic problem messing up people's spines and knees and hips? Why are so many people hurting all the time? Is it different than in decades past, or is it just a result of marketing the pain meds?

I spoke to her yesterday actually, she contacted some pain treatment center who are more into doing surgery to get rid of the underlying problems. She has to wait and see what percentage her insurance will pay, if any, to see if she can afford it. It gives me a little hope. Wether it is too good to be true or not affordable is yet to be seen. I don't think she will really get off all the meds though. She was an alcoholic through my childhood years, until she got so sick she couldn't drink anymore, then she went to the pills. I think she was getting them while she was drinking too, from a crazy lady in Myrtle beach with mis-matched socks, whacky hair and a tote bag full of unnamed pills (I kid you not!) I can't deny that she is pain, she has had a hard life and we have these kind of problems in our family history (reumatoid, scholeosis) I firmly believe that my Mom is an addict though, she will always need something.

I think that the "pain" we all feel these days is partly from not using our bodies in their intended manner. Excercise releases endorphins in the body. Extra weight and high sugar diets can cause stress on the bones and ligaments. Pollutants, apathy all have effects both mental and physical. Of course the damn media with it's unreal expectations for people, the keeping up with the Jones', the commercials, the doctors. It's a great big mess and I look around at people and wonder why they all chose to live like this.

You know what? Aside from my nuclear family (me, hubby and kid) I no longer know one single person that is not on: antidepressants, anti-anxiety, ADD meds, pain meds. Not one! What the hell? That includes children...I cannot fathom what society will look like in my daughters adult years. I cannot begin to imagine these people if the pharmacies run dry. Oh. My. God.
It makes me sad, angry. I believe we should all be allowed to make our own choices. I believe that people BELIEVE that they are making choices for themselves, but they are being herded into a never ending cycle of strife, dependency, sadness and pain.

Line up for your SOMA folks, the brave new world is here!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]Prescription pain medicine addiction is a huge problem. It seems that it has spread to every region and you hear about it all the time now.

There was an ER doctor here that was the butt of a running joke at the pharmacy. They would say 'Well, Dr. N must be back in town, vicodin for everyone!'

And he really did give almost everyone a 30 count bottle.

The problem now, is that you have people abusing the system, trying to get pills they don't really need and then when someone genuinely needs them, they don't want to give them out because maybe you're an addict.

I went to the ER with a kidney stone about 2 years ago. I was made to submit to a drug test before they would give me anything for the pain. I ended up passing the thing (they were shocked by how big it was and they were surprised I was able to pass it on my own) before they could get me anything. But I see that as a problem. So many people are seeking prescription drugs that they have to question every single person that walks through the door.

Very sad, in my opinion.

I'm suprised they didn't give you anything. The rare few times I have been to the doctors in the past five or so years they are kind of pushy with the meds. I would guess it is different from doctor to doctor though, based on training, ethics and kick backs. I know the place I used to go are notorious for giving out scripts for very expensive and strange things.

You are a trooper though! See you did fine without the meds. Good for you. The human body is an amazing thing. It can go through all sorts and still come out on top.

Also, I don't think we can really blame people for becoming addicts. It is pretty potent stuff they are giving out these days. Phsycological dependency is bad enough, physical dependency must be a nightmare. I recently found out if you try to quit xanax cold turkey it can cause seizures and death. Thats pretty messed up, especially when a doctor or a pharmacist can choose not to give it out.

What a mess.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I was just thinking this weekend about flouride and chlorine in water. I have a very good family dentist. Very honest, very old school. He was a Navy dentist and now he has a private practice. I was updating my health insurance and I called him to get advice on a dental plan, and he advised me NOT to get dental insurance. I've never had a cavity and neither have either of my sons. He said we likely will NEVER have cavities or need for dental work, and he will work with us on the prices of anything we do run up against.

Here's the thing. My family lives on well water! No flouride, no chlorine, just natural water, straight out of the ground! AND, my family does not have any dental problems whatsoever!

My family rarely gets sick, we don't use a bunch of anti-bacterial soaps, we play in the dirt, the kids are constantly sharing food with the dog, we don't take a lot of special precautions regarding germs, we just live normal lives like I did when I was a kid, and my parents did when they were kids, and we don't get sick! All of their classmates with their flouride, chlorine, anti-bacterial wipes, hand sanitizers, and militant hand-washing practices are sick all the time. The whole classroom coughs and hacks during the winter, but it rarely spreads to us.

The family doctor is also very stingy with anti-biotics. He will occasionally prescribe prednisone to help get rid of a cough. Occasional spankings take the place of ADD medicines (usually a time out, or a threat of trouble is more effective than an actual spanking, but an occasional swat does make the threats meaningful). My wife has experimented with Zanex and Pain Meds here and there, but they typically make her feel worse instead of better, so she uses them very sparingly. If she would quit smoking, she probably would feel great all the time.

So, my philosophy is...... More Dirt, Less Meds!
Live life in a normal manner, not the new PC, molly-coddling manner. Just let kids be kids, and let hard work, a little sunshine, and an occasional brew or stogey mend what ails ya!
edit on 28-12-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thats great to hear. I live in suburbia, no well water. Geez you can barely find dirt around here, folks mow thier lawn twice a week and it seems like everything is "canned" just go buy a can of christmas and pop it open, its just like everyone elses. Weird people, I'll tell ya! The school has hand sanitizer stations outside every class room. The PTA are like a pack of TV mom wolves. It really is surreal.

My Dad used to bring us out in the woods, out on the ocean, lakes etc.. He never coddled us, beat us often and I am just fine. I have to admit that I have never spanked (nor needed to) my daughter and she is coddled to high heaven. I always prescribed to the notion that a dirty kid is a happy kid and that independant thinking is they key to survival, so I'm not all bad!

My hope is to one day pack up and move out to the mountains and rid myself of surburbia forever. Ignorance is bliss right? Peoples notions of beauty around here are so different from mine. I don't wish to change peoples minds, but I do wish I could change their heart.

Well, we are getting off topic here! Although, I do believe it is all intertwined. The lifestyle is what causes the drug use. The pharmaceutical companies are more than happy to oblige. Hell. They run the FDA don't they? They make us sick so that they can "make us better" What a strange world.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I do believe it is all intertwined. The lifestyle is what causes the drug use. The pharmaceutical companies are more than happy to oblige. Hell. They run the FDA don't they? They make us sick so that they can "make us better" What a strange world.

Strange indeed! The companies that need regulating are the ones that own and guide the regulators.

I believe it is all intertwined also. The need for stronger and stronger meds, because the use of meds is out of control. Look at what Michael Jackson was doing. He was getting a surgical anesthesia just to sleep at night! Every night, he had a personal doc that was putting him under like he was going in for surgery, and once it was just a little too much and he died.

People think it is insane and criminal when it happens to Michael Jackson, and they want the doc's head on a platter, but what about Heath Ledger? Anna Nicole Smith? Or my cousin? They all died with similar circumstances. They took prescribed drugs, with a Doctor's consent, and they all went to sleep and never woke up again. The entire medical system is insane. Really, the entire Western world is insane. The things we now accept as "normal" are completely looney toons, and if we brought somebody from 50 years ago up to today, they would declare every one of us as insane!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

[color=dodgerblue]I was 8 months pregnant at the time, which was why I couldn't figure out why they would drug test me. It was a good thing that it passed because the procedures to remove a stone that cannot be passed are a no no when you are pregnant. I know that some pain meds are a no no when gestating, but many are safe. My OBGYN admitted me during my first episode and had me on a pain pump over night. I passed 4 stones the next day. I have had only one stone since I had my son and I am hoping to never have another. I don't wish that on anyone.

I find that docs are pushy about some meds. They wanted to medicate my son when he was three, which didn't happen. They wanted to medicate me after my second son became colicky and I was a frazzled, nervous wreck because of it. I tried it and it made me feel worse, so I stopped it. My son eventually came out of it and we survived. No idea how...
I managed to get an A in Algebra 2 during all of that, I still have to wonder how I ever made it through.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join