It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motivation Proclamation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Anyone else get the feeling like they lack motivation to do the basic things in life, let alone the complicated stuff? Why is it that the most minuscule of tasks appear like the most insurmountable of challenges? I am seeking advice from others to silence that voice in my head that says "I can't be bothered..." whenever an activity presents itself which requires some sort of effort to complete. What is the secret to good motivation and how do you motivate yourself when your general mood is apathetic?

Any ideas?

edit on 27/12/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Youre a pathetic loser.

No one likes you.

Youre an out of shape sloth who gets no girls.

Please get used to the following sentence: "Would you like fries with that?"

Hows that?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Discipline. It's greatly lacking in today's society. But once you get in the habit, it becomes second nature.

Think about the result you want. Focus on that. For me, I HATE dishes!
I'll let them stack up and just ignore them... and I HATE the mess, too! But what it takes is a disciplined effort to do the dishes every day and then I'll have the result (a clean, sparking kitchen) that I want.

It's just a minor example, but you get the idea. Focus on the result.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
you can always try speed! that will get you up and at 'em!!!

just kidding! only users lose drugs (or something like that!)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Anyone else get the feeling like they lack motivation to do the basic things in life, let alone the complicated stuff? Why is it that the most minuscule of tasks appear like the most insurmountable of challenges? I am seeking advice from others to silence that voice in my head that says "I can't be bothered..." whenever an activity presents itself which requires some sort of effort to complete. What is the secret to good motivation and how do you motivate yourself when your general mood is apathetic?

Any ideas?

I'm not an expert, but sometimes depression can look like this.

But if you're just feeling unmotivated, sometimes it helps to break a task down into tiny parts and just do one tiny bit to start. One thing leads to the next. Tiny steps will get you there.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well you've recieved advice on how to deal with motivation. Would you consider, as another posted suggested, that it may be depression?

If you go for help, you may be asked "Is it worse in the winter? (Assuming you're in the northern hemisphere) and "How long have you been feeling it?" You'll also be asked to fill out a PHQ-9. (You can find it on the internet, it only has nine questions.) Let me recommend that you make one visit to the physicians, if just to rule out depression.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I was experiencing the lack of motivation. That's difficult for me, as I usually have a lot going on.

I decided to quit smoking and drinking liquor. I found quitting smoking easy to do once I convinced myself I have lung cancer. I don't know if I do, but I wake up every morning realizing I have to fight this.

I decided to think "active" thoughts. I go through the steps of completion in my my mind. I then approach the task in steps.

I limited my time on the internet. That's a big help.

I rediscovered almost empty whip cream cans thanks to my cats' latest addiction.

There's also the good old "buyer's high". Not only is it ironically a feeling of self control, one can buy tools to help one be more productive.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies so far, they have mostly been constructive. Just to make it clear: I do suffer from clinical depression, am on medication and see a mental health professional. I am aware that this condition can have a profound effect on motivation levels, but I also get the feeling that at least some of the time it is my attitude to blame. So keeping that in mind, is there any advice on how to better motivate myself and others like me to do stuff?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

is there any advice on how to better motivate myself and others like me to do stuff?

I forgot to mention that I have some prop skull on display. Being reminded of my mortality to motivates me.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here are the teas I use.

Kava - Numbing
Valerian Root - Relaxing
Mugwort - Creativity
Yerba Mate - Energy
Damiana - Alertness

I've been into tea for a while. I've recently got into supplements. There's a lot out there that's not found at the grocery store. There's Alpha GPC for creativity. There's Mucuna Pruriens for a combination of effects.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Thanks for the replies so far, they have mostly been constructive. Just to make it clear: I do suffer from clinical depression, am on medication and see a mental health professional. I am aware that this condition can have a profound effect on motivation levels, but I also get the feeling that at least some of the time it is my attitude to blame. So keeping that in mind, is there any advice on how to better motivate myself and others like me to do stuff?

How about setting a goal and giving yourself a reward for doing it?

Also, the breaking things down into small parts does help. For instance, cleaning a whole house can be daunting, but just clearing one table, or corner is doable. One thing then can lead to the next and eventually, it all gets done. Baby steps.

top topics

join