It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tornado Watch 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In 2011, there were many devastating tornadoes, including the EF5 in Joplin, MO.

As of December 9, there have been 1,836 tornadoes reported in the US in 2011 (of which at least 1,560 were confirmed). 2011 has been an exceptionally destructive and deadly year for tornadoes; worldwide, at least 576 people perished due to tornadoes: 12 in Bangladesh, two in South Africa, one in New Zealand, one in the Philippines, one in Russia, one in Canada and an estimated 552 in the United States (compared to 564 US deaths in the prior ten years combined).[2] Due mostly to several extremely large tornado outbreaks in the middle and end of April and in late May, the year is currently well above average in almost every category, with six EF5 tornadoes and nearly enough total tornado reports to eclipse the mark of 1,717 tornadoes recorded in in 2004, the current record year for tornadoes.

552 confirmed fatalities is also the second-most tornadic deaths in a single year for tornadoes in US history, only trailing 1925 which featured the infamous Tri-State Tornado. This total is due in large part to the 322 tornadic deaths that occurred during the April 27 outbreak across the Southeastern United States and the 160 tornadic deaths in the 2011 Joplin tornado.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Much of this was documented and posted in the Tornado Watch 2011 thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

as well as other threads.

So to continue for 2012, here is the Tornado Watch 2012 thread! Thanks to those who contributed last year, and let's hope this year those beasts just stay in their caves!

If you spot a tornado, or one is getting close, help other ATSers take note and post it if you can (but NOT at the expense of your own safety). Happy Holidays to all!

Joplin Tornado
edit on Sun Dec 25th 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Good stuff TA. I am hoping to get time next year to continue my study of tropical storms and resulting earthquake effects so I shall be visiting!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Looking forward to that time of year again, but hoping and praying that the death count is 0 and the damage to property is low. Being just off tornado alley I will spend a lot of time on this thread.

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Ok,well,here is my tornado watch of the year so far,being it's only freaking January!!!!
Yesterday,01/17/2012,at approximately 11:30 am,I was home with my kids cause they were both sick.

Here comes the warnings and the sirens.
I posted something about it on here as it was happening,but afterwards forgot about it tending to the kiddos cause it had no effect on me.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

5 tornadoes comfirmed touched down in our area.
It's freaking winter here!.

Simpson/Allen County, KY: EF2 (120 mph)
Jefferson County, KY: EF1 (95-100 mph)
Scott County, KY: EF1 (90 mph)
Rutherford County, TN: EF0 (80-85 mph)
Northeast Louisville, KY: EF1 (95 mph)
Floyds Knob, IN: EF1 (95-100 mph)
Madison, IN: EF0 (85 mph)
Clarksville, IN: EF0 (75 mph)
Dumas, MS: Preliminary Marion County MS east of Sandy Hook: Preliminary

The Louisville area appeared to be among the hardest hit, with an EF-1 tornado with wind speeds estimated at 95 mph touching down in the city. To the north, a tornado that struck Floyds Knob, Indiana may have contained winds reaching 100 mph. The storms were triggered by an approaching cold front that forecasters said would cause temperatures to plummet. "Anymore it's not rare at all," Callahan said of spring-like storms in winter. "We have it almost every year lately."

I know they were small,no injuries or loss of life,but there was property damage and trees down.
So,I got on here first ,I sure don't hope it doesn't get any worse,but I have a feeling.

www.weather.com...

blogs.wave3.com...

Crazy stuff.
It's going to snow tomorrow.
edit on 18-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Glad you're ok, kdog!

Well if there are already tornadoes in winter, what the heck is coming this next season? Especially coming off the heels of a record-breaking tornado year in 2011?

It don't look good, folks. :shk:

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
NOAA severe weather outbreak warning
I found this while on the NOAA site just a few mins ago so anyone in these areas please be safe and help get the word out so everyone can be prepared.
(I hope my link works I don't know if I did it right)

I think this deserves a new thread just to get out there but I don't have enough posts to start one, could someone please use this to start one so as many people as possible see it? thanks guys
edit on 22-1-2012 by RN311 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RN311

Whats is bad is the time that it will be going through,when most people are sleeping.

Be safe out there!

edit on 22-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

thats why I'm trying to get it out there now so people are aware of what will be going on in their area tonight, maybe even sleep in their basements if possible. if you have family or friends in the area please give them a heads up so their not caught off gaurd in the middle of the night.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RN311

thats why I'm trying to get it out there now so people are aware of what will be going on in their area tonight, maybe even sleep in their basements if possible. if you have family or friends in the area please give them a heads up so their not caught off gaurd in the middle of the night.

You have got 20 posts now,go get um!

Everyone I know knows in my area.
We are expected to get gusts of winds up to 90 mph winds tonight.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Well looks like he logged off, and no thread. I agree, a new thread should be started to warn people. Kdog, care to do us the honors?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'm guessing that the 2012 tornado season will be very active. And it concerns me because I live in Iowa...

Since Joplin happened, I have felt terrified of a tornado that big hitting Des Moines...we are way overdue!

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I was trying to give him a chance,so sure,warning going out.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Quite a few tornadoes have touched down in Alabama. Here are some of the reports, right off Wundermap:

Tornado Storm Report

2012-01-23 08:12:00 EST

Lat/Lon: 32.83,-86.70

Wklf radio studio destroyed...and 302 foot transmission tower was toppled at the intersection of Alabama Highway 22 and County Road 37. (Bmx)

Major structual damage reported in Maplesville with people trapped in homes. (Bmx)

Several homes destroyed in the Paradise Valley area in Clay. Time estimated from radar. (Bmx)

Major structural damage reported in Trussville with multiple trees downed. (Bmx)

And there are others. All of eastern Alabama is under tornado watch, and looks like southern Georgia is next.

www.wunderground.com...

3 people killed as storms sweep through Alabama
usnews.msnbc.msn.com...

At least three people were killed after storms swept through Jefferson County, the local emergency management agency told NBC News.

The Jefferson County sheriff's spokesman Randy Christian said a 16-year-old boy was killed in Clay and an 82-year-old man died in the community of Oak Grove.

A storm system produced a possible tornado that moved across northern Jefferson County around 3:30 a.m., causing damage in Oak Grove, Graysville, Fultondale, Centerpoint, Clay and Trussville, Christian said. He said several homes were destroyed and numerous injuries were reported.

edit on Mon Jan 23rd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Anybody watching the skies this evening? I will be sleeping with the shoes on and one eye on the weather.

I will be following this closely.
WKRN

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Oh joy, I can't wait for tomorrow. (sarcrasm)

Weather.com

I'm following this one for as long as I can.
I'm nearly smack in the middle of it too

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by insanedr4gon
Oh joy, I can't wait for tomorrow. (sarcrasm)

Weather.com

I'm following this one for as long as I can.
I'm nearly smack in the middle of it too

Same here,be safe!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
There is a possible tornado in Alabama, near Russellville and heading North-East towards Athens. Everyone in the area should be alert and keep sheltered. I believe it will be a harsh tornado day in the US today, but perhaps we'll get some great footage of the green skies above your nation.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
WOW

news.yahoo.com...

l.yimg.com...://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reute rs/2012-03-02T225900Z_01_TOR871_RTRIDSP_3_USA-WEATHER-STORMS.jpg

Thats some major widespread simultaneous tornado activity, Eastern US activity lit up like an xmas tree!

HAARP?

edit on 7-3-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
There are recorded videos of a touch down in Dexter Michigan..
im not sure how to inbed video yet.. but if you search for it its all over the news. some homes look to be drastically damaged.
quite early in the year for them around here!

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Tuesday-Friday of next week, Arkansas is set up for either lots of flooding or lots of extremely severe weather. We will see how everything plays out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join