It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you're on your own this Christmas, or know someone who is....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I do this every year, just to send out special Seasons Greetings to those folks who may find themselves on their own during the holiday season - something I have experienced more than once.

The one thing the internet can give everybody is a sense of togetherness and ATS has a sense of camaraderie that is second to none among its members.

So, if you are out there by yourself today, or at any point over the Holiday season I raise a glass to you!

And if you know someone who may be alone - elderly neighbours, friends, acquaintances - why not give them a special present and drop by and say hello? Even if its only for 5 minutes, you may just make their day special.

Merry Christmas one and all!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Nice idea. Also, Merry Christmas you rascals!

edit on 25-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Nice post mate, mainly because I am currently alone in a big empty house, when friends and family would be having xmas lunch right about now (uk)

ah the joys of living in a uni house when I in fact work. atleast ive got work at 7am boxing day to look forward to

Merry Christmas to any and all that may be in a similar situation

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
That's awesome dude! Merry Christmas all.

Be safe.

Eat. Drink. Be merry!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

having made it 28 years on this rock with family and friends at christmas, I'm actually enjoying my first one alone. I got up about 11, opened the cats' presents
now i'm having a special xmas smoke in the bath. I think i may even have a bath nap. F*ck it, it's christmas!!

Hope everyone's having a great day
Peace out

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thank you so much,havent been home for 5 yrs.,does get kind of lonely at times,but I have been smelting copper for a sculpture and it really makes the time fly by.MERRY CHRISTMAS

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Sat at home on my tod
wooohooo second year running lol.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

I was by myself last year when I found ATS.

Merry Christmas to all.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Merry Christmas to all. There are times we all are alone I suppose. Christmas is hard because it is labelled as a family holiday. I dont really have much family that desire my presence, so I keep to my self on this holiday. I guess i am the black sheep. Whilst i stay on this rock i will make the most of it i suppose........
God bless everyone. Especially those of us who are alone. Go placidly amid the noise and haste........

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

alrighty! Nice post, OP! Merry Christmas to all of us at ATS!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
always do.. having outlived friends, enemies and family its just another day..
Merry Christmas to those who do celebrate..

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Funny I would still visit ATS even if my house was full this year. Wait....where's that addicted to ATS thread???

Living in a domestic violence program for the last two holiday seasons, I can attest how important it is to reach out to people at this time of year.

We are actually having a wonderful holiday season this year, as there was a holiday store set up where people could purchase gifts (donated items that are new) using vouchers that were earned by doing special chores. Things as simple as a woman getting a health check up and one for her children as well.

Thanks to all the people who donate items, food and money, so that Mom's can still spend time with their children today opening gifts and having some sense of normalcy.

It's hard to remain positive given the state of the entire world these days, but there really are a lot of wonderful people out there that have earned my respect, anonymous people that do care.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm a quaker. I don't do Christmas in it's entirety. I give cards, gifts to those who expect such things but opt out of everything else.

Some people consider it sad that anyone can be alone at Christmas. "You can't be on your own ... come to ours".

I bet you've all heard that line this week.

It's a terrible shame they can't consider your solitude on the other 364 days of the year. And that's where my own faith comes in, today is really no more special or holy than any other day. How we treat our fellow man today is really how it should be done for the rest of the year. And how great would the world be if we all did that. ?

Merry Christmas to everyone who appears in this thread.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Thank you OP. My parents are dead and the few family I have are at the other end of the country. Sometimes friends with a huge family invite me round but it makes me feel like the ghost of Christmas past. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for people's raised eyebrows when you tell them you will be on your own. It's like confessing to halitosis! I might have gone abroad but I won't put the dog in kennels. Next year if it's the same, I'll get myself approved as a volunteer well in advance and will help out at a home or project.
So to all the peeps like me who are on their own like me, I raise a glass. Those of us who are warm and well fed still have a lot to be thankful for unlike so many of the world's population.
May all your mince pies be happy ones!
edit on 25-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This year I am not alone....there have been years when I have been alone. I like your idea about reaching out to people I think we all should do that year round.

Merry Christmas to all of ATS!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just a suggestion here....if you find you have some time, there is something you can do which WILL make a difference in someone's Christmas. There are so many elderly in nursing homes, who either have no family or family who has all but "dumped" them there...and never calls or visits. Take a few moments to visit one of them...maybe bring them some Christmas cookies. You will feel great afterwards, and I PROMISE you, it will make a difference to them. Some of them have no visitors....ever. Just sit in the room day in and day out...alone. Not just Christmas, but all year, these people are lonely....so give it a try. Once you see their faces go from lonely and depressed, to smiling and happy, you'll be back. Merry Christmas everyone!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Thank you! Merry Christmas to all.

I am alone this morning, but I was lucky enough to be visited last night by two of my daughters. I will pick up my younger daughter and son later today.

I am thankful for all of this.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

you reminded me of christmas 1964 when i was in the air force.

i had just been stationed on a new base, they asked for volunteers, the air force was giving a xmas diner for orphans.

when i showed up they had more volunteers than needed, so they told me i was to go get anything the kids wanted.

by the end of the meal some kids asked for lemons, i went and got a box of lemons.
more kids were asking for lemons, so i got a couple boxes

once a hundred kids had been armed with lemons, they started throwing.
they trashed the dinning hall and had a good time.

i was told by air force management that it wasn't my fault and i didn't have to help clean up the mess.

a memorable christmas, those kids throwing hundreds of lemons in celebration.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Good call! We had a friend over for our family dinner last night! His ex took his son out of state so he was all alone, the little things do matter. Sometime just letting a person know they have some one that thought of them and raised a glass or two with can go along way! It's been a long year here's to a better one happy holidays!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I send christmas cards to people at a local drug and alcohol rehab that a friend of mine works at and he says a lot of those people never get cards. I also spent one Christmas alone a few years ago when my family went on a vacation and I had to work, I didn't think it was going to be that bad, but it was depressing as hell.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join