It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you're on your own this Christmas, or know someone who is....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
There are so many elderly in nursing homes, who either have no family or family who has all but "dumped" them there...and never calls or visits. Once you see their faces go from lonely and depressed, to smiling and happy, you'll be back. Merry Christmas everyone!

for the last 2 years i visit 3 nursing homes, a good friend has theurapy dogs.

the elderly are so happy when they see the dogs.

on our last visit the staff said a lady didn't want to get out of bed that day.
when told the dogs were coming, she jumped out of bed and got dressed.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen6511

on our last visit the staff said a lady didn't want to get out of bed that day. when told the dogs were coming, she jumped out of bed and got dressed

Good for you! I hope everyone who reads this makes an effort to do this. These people are so very lonely, and many just sit there waiting to die because they have no one and feel they have nothing to live for. What you said in your post demonstrates what I was trying to say. If you experience it once, you will never stop doing it. To see their faces light up, it's just better than any present you could ever get! Thanks for that Citizen!

edit on 12/25/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
To all of you who may find yourself alone this Christmas, you are in the thoughts and hearts of your ATS friends here. Wishing you peace, now and aways, with love.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I am by myself every holiday season. It is the consequence of a young man moving from state to state chasing the almighty dollar.

Now the money saved is gone, the dollar is pretty worthless, I have finished all the moving I am going to do (I hope), and once all of it is gone and you look around and realize your closest friends are scattered through out the country and you spend all your time alone... you kinda learn something about what is important.

Life is all about choices people and money cant keep you warm at night.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Oh MY,

Anyway, I was out of diet pepsi and just stopped in to a quick mart, gas station dealy, and saw this nice chap that I always talk to. It's Christmas but I knew it would be open.

He is foreign and from Somalia.

It's very quiet there, and so we got to talk for quite a while and I asked him how he ended up in the U.S.

If anyone is alone for this holiday, this guy's story is something else. He started his journey to freedom in January of 2009 having to leave behind a wife and children in his country do to political assylum, because he worked on computers for the government. He has been to dozens of countries and held in detention centers in many of them, ending up in Arizona where he was detained for 11 months.

He went on to tell me how in as so much life means nothing in his country. He chose to work this holiday so that American citizens can spend time with their families.

All of us, this is something we should consider, as some people are forced from enjoying the pleasure of being with family.

This man has an amazing story to tell, and I think I want to write about it. I thought my life sucked for being where I am this Holiday.

Once again, Oh My!!!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

Please do....I would love to hear the whole story!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat
reply to post by supine

Please do....I would love to hear the whole story!

Oh my gosh, in just the time we were able to chat today. I am feeling so blessed right now. What this man has endured to be alone on the holidays, should make all of us feel happy that we are just alone by choice, or merely by some miles, or other triffle reasons.

He was happy, and smiling and emptying trash cans outside when we got to talk a little bit more at length. Sadly, he is not the only Somali refugee I have met this year. I live in program with a gorgeous woman from their as well, and she has many scars from being tortured, not only by her government but her husband.

This is a story that needs to be told about a fight for a country where people are killed at whim, and mostly by religious fanatics.

It makes me feel lucky to have any life that is over and above six feet under.

I went down to enjoy brunch with other women in the DV program today, because I now live in transitional housing through this.

Just to see the kids smiling, and be able to sit and have them show me what Santa brought them....mountains of joy!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Merry Christmas Nef!!

I had a great time all by myself with ATS Live last night! I even informed my fiancee it will be my new Christmas tradition, started it last year and will listen every year from here on out!

I am home alone with a dog and two cats! I am doing what I want and I actually slept til 12pm! Santa did good!

I haven't been a huge fan of Christmas most of my adult life because it just seems to me that people have lost the meaning of Christmas. I'd rather wait til I have my own family and then celebrate it for them but they will not be spoiled snots!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and thanks for a great show and my sides hurting from laughing last night!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf

having made it 28 years on this rock with family and friends at christmas, I'm actually enjoying my first one alone. I got up about 11, opened the cats' presents
now i'm having a special xmas smoke in the bath. I think i may even have a bath nap. F*ck it, it's christmas!!

Hope everyone's having a great day
Peace out

Sounds awesome!!

I am also having my first one alone and also by choice! I am loving it. Previous years I'd go to friends or families houses but i just wanted to leave the moment I got there lol .

Im just reading online, having coffee at 1:30pm, still in my pjs and listening to Pandora radio! I might hit up Denny's later or one of the local restaurants that are open. Heck even McD's is open and well it's Christmas might as well eat what I want!

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm alone. Thanks. Merry Christmas to all.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
the nursing home post got me to thinking about this, it sure made the people happy!

Went to my mother in laws nursing home last night, alot of lonely people there that just were happy to talk to anybody.

Merry Christmas ATS friends !

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Happy holidays (however you wish to spend them) to ya'll and best wishes going into a new year.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Excellent thread and highly kindly of you! Happy holidays as well, I have learned that family is the most important thing on the planet, because in the end, out of anyone, they might actually be there for you compared to friends, girl/boyfriends, etc.

Cheers to you and have a happy holidays!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by supine

I'm so glad you had this experience....sometimes we forget how lucky we are....thank you so much for sharing and I hope that smile and joy stay with you!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by darkest4

No you aren't....if you are here...at least not totally. I hope you enjoy the day, alone or not, and I hope that you don't feel so alone now!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by horseplay

I LOVE that!!!!! Thank you!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thanks OP for the thoughtfulness.
I am alone again this Christmas, all close family long gone. Have been tent camping across the states since early May. But, there is always good wishes from ATS members.

Thanks again.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Tnx, i'm alone.. and mostly quite happy... Yet had to swallow when i read your post... But it helps and feels warm.

Love and peace for all.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by herenow
Thanks OP for the thoughtfulness.
I am alone again this Christmas, all close family long gone. Have been tent camping across the states since early May. But, there is always good wishes from ATS members.

Thanks again.

I wish the best to you. and tent camping is rough...

Best wishes to you, and pleasant thoughts you are sharing with us all here.

Best wishes to staying warm and dry.

Best wishes all the way around.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
What a sweet sentiment Nef. Thank you. It's really very touching. And Merry Christmas and Happy Whatever to all!

I've never been alone on Christmas before this year. I'm not really totally alone, just sort of separated for a bit. I've got the Skype thank goodness and was able to particpate from afar. I'll have visitors late in the day, but it's certainly not our traditional scene by any stretch.

This experience has made me think about all of the people who are alone and lonely or just apart. Elderly, troops, the infirmed or really just anyone who finds themselves disconnected for whatever reason. It takes quite a toll and I intend that next year, when my circumstances have changed, I'm going to do whatever I can to reach out to those who may just need a bit of human kindness, at holiday or any other time.

Just like Nef did.

edit on 25/12/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join