It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivan is Cat 5, Florida landfall Monday?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040909/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/hurricane_ivan&cid=589&ncid=716

Ivan is a category 5 storm now.
Gusts to 200 mph.
Possible S. Florida landfall Monday.
Some computer graphics show it
going all the way up the east coast.

YIKES!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Just In: The Keys are evacuating all rec vehicles and tourists starting today at 9 AM. This doesn't look good for south florida.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I have a feeling THIS is going to be the real nasty one...but I seriously hope that I'm wrong....

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   
90% of the homes on Grenada destroyed by Ivan and phone lines in Trinidad still having problems. This is just too much in one month. One a month I can deal with, but 3 in 30 days is beyond what my stress level can handle.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Okay ... this may be strange but ....

Cat 4 Charley hit Florida from the left and went over DisneyWorld.
Cat 4 Frances (down to a 2) hit Florida from the right and went over
Disneyworld.

Ivan is a Cat 5. If it comes straight up ... it'll go over Disney World.

Look at the paths of Charley and Frances. It's like a giant X marks
the spot over Disney World.

Is Ivan aiming for it? I guess time will tell. I just thought it was
... well ... kinda strange. (or perhaps I'm just looking at things from
a strange vantage).

Where ever it lands ... it's going to be BAD.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Just In: The Keys are evacuating all rec vehicles and tourists starting today at 9 AM. This doesn't look good for south florida.

HOW is Florida evacuating anyone? Isn't there long
lines everywhere and no gas to be found? The news
says that there is a severe gas shortage from the last
two evacuations. Oh man ... this is SO BAD!!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
well if you think that hurricanes are the hands of God in action, then that means Florida is pretty screwed up as is Japan which keeps getting hit too.

But somehow I don't believe that Florida is the worst of all locations and if it was really God and he wanted to make a point, he could try sending a hurricane to Sin City or Washington D.C instead.

I blame all of this on climate change and global warming.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Why do they declare a state of emergency after something happens. Seem like it's an emergency NOW. Get the people out of there.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
South florida, mainly Monroe, Miami/Dade and Broward counties are all okay with gas. As soon as the ports opened, we were the first in line for gas relief, also all the stations along the turnpike and I-95 (where there is power) are priority for replenishing their supplies.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
God was really not happy with all the bickering his kids were doing after the last election over Florida's delegates, this time around, well, he is making sure there is nothing to bicker about?

God, I hope Cuba weakens this monster down to a three at least....

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'm born and raised here in Naples Florida, I think I have just about had itwith "paradise". Granted when it is not hurricane season it is wonderful, but if Ivan hits sw florida my house is gone, gone ,gone. I'm going to move....Idaho, or colorado sounds good, nothing happens ther. I can handle a blizzard.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Latest track...next official update is 11am (they don't usually change the track on the intermediate updates, like the 8am one)....

The blue line is just where I think it's going... The yellow dot is where I am...

[edit on 9-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
This is so ugly. CAT 5 is the highest on the scale, what is it called if it goes higher?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It doesn't go higher....just "Strong Category 5"...

What scared me most is the 200mph gusts!!!
Frances was just a Cat 1 when she went over, and a weak one at that... Our biggest gust in the immediate area was 64mph, with most in about the 50mph range (pretty often though, as the eye (or what was left of it) moved through, so it did little damage. I can only imagine what a 200mph gust would do!

Luckily, I'm sure it will be weaker by the time it gets to us... Jamaica and Cuba are going to take the brunt of this one... I just hope it's down to at least a 3 when it gets to us....or less.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Quite impressive storm. I don't think though it'll stay as a Category 5 if and when it does hit the shores of the US.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I heard once if a storm had sustained winds of 200 it would be 6. Though i beleive it is not very likey in the atlantic, but typhoons i beleive can get that strong. Anyone have figures on this?

EDIT: nevermind i guess it can't i just read Gazrok's post.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by Xayden]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I don't think anything has had a sustained wind of 200mph... close though... here's a quick link from google...

www.weatherwatchers.org...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Given that the barometric pressure of this storm is so low, it will take a lot of cool water and some serious sheer to weaken it.

As of earlier today, this storm ranked as the eighth lowest barometric pressure in the Atlantic Basin since they started recording such data.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It has to fall in strength if goes over land. Nothing to feed it, but when it hits water again, anything can happen.

What made the last one so bad, it was so slow. Ithad dropped down to 4 or 5 miles per hour.

If a 5 hits florida, just turn it in to a park.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xayden
I heard once if a storm had sustained winds of 200 it would be 6. Though i beleive it is not very likey in the atlantic, but typhoons i beleive can get that strong. Anyone have figures on this?

EDIT: nevermind i guess it can't i just read Gazrok's post.

Yes typhoons are usually stronger than Atlantic, but having sustained winds of 200 is still pretty rare.
btw, Ivan has sustained winds of 210mph..........350 feet up. (meaning at the surface, winds could be a bit stronger than 160)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join