Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Ivan is Cat 5, Florida landfall Monday?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Oh come on people! Get a grip! It's just a little Cat 5 Hurricane. I mean geez. 200 MPH (320KM/H) winds have never done anyone any harm. What's all the fuss, ya bunch of scaredy cats? Go back to ya homes. Ya pay to live there, not run. Put up a fight.

Actually, I don't want to go...I'd only do so because by NOT going, it'd drive my wife nuts while she's up there working... I'm still not so sure I'm going. They're talking about flying out Sunday, and flying back Friday. I'm not missing a week of work for this, so unless I can get an earlier flight back, I might be staying after all...we'll see I guess...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   
People need to hope it does hit florida. It cant do much more damage there. I would rather have all the damage in one place.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   

It cant do much more damage there.

Oh yes it can... Now, you've got lots of people without roofs, under tarps, facing a major hurricane. Yep, that's LOTS better.
Seriously, I'm sure they'll get to shelters, etc.

We've still got THOUSANDS who still don't have power from Frances' little blowover.... Many Shelters still don't have power! Not to mention, some structures were just weakened. With another storm, they'll completely go. We'll see more deaths, and way more property damage from another such storm.

The best that can be hoped for is landfall in a less populated area of South Florida, where it can be weakened some before hitting the populated areas...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

It cant do much more damage there.

Oh yes it can... Now, you've got lots of people without roofs, under tarps, facing a major hurricane. Yep, that's LOTS better.
Seriously, I'm sure they'll get to shelters, etc.

We've still got THOUSANDS who still don't have power from Frances' little blowover.... Many Shelters still don't have power! Not to mention, some structures were just weakened. With another storm, they'll completely go. We'll see more deaths, and way more property damage from another such storm.

Thats my point, if there is no power it cant knock it out. people house are going to be replaced regardless. Its going to take time. It would be in america best intrest, for it to hit florida.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You may be right....THIS year....

Next year though, they are going to pass a law to where if your home is hit by more than one hurricane during a season, you'll have to pay the deductible AGAIN for each hit....

That sucks, but at the same time, without it, the Insurance companies would be bankrupted, much like many were with Andrew....

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   

You may be right....THIS year....

Next year though, they are going to pass a law to where if your home is hit by more than one hurricane during a season, you'll have to pay the deductible AGAIN for each hit....

I so think insurance is a joke.

You pay and pay and pay, never take out a claim, then when you do, they rasie the rates. There is no way the insurance companys spend all the money that is paid, on claims.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

You pay and pay and pay, never take out a claim, then when you do, they rasie the rates. There is no way the insurance companys spend all the money that is paid, on claims.

True in most cases....until situations like this. It's only the local ones that went bankrupt... The nationwide ones of course, didn't.

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Didn't know that wasn't the case now. But, if a person makes multiple claims they should pay each deductible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see another blackballing round by the insurance agency, much like State Farm did after Andrew -- no new waterfront policies. I wouldn't be surprised to see another federal program pop up just like the federal flood insurance program did. Maybe there will be a federal waterfront insurance program. That way we can all pay for yet another government service that the majority of Americans don't use. It's time to jack the rates up even more for those who choose to live in a dangerous area. If my rates were raised because of the tall trees surrounding my house I would either have to pay (since I choose to keep those trees) or mitigate the risk. If my rates were raised because I choose to live in one of the snowiest regions in the country (and resultant potential for ice damage and water damage), I'd have to pay those rates or move.

Regardless though, a double or triple hit is enough to run any company's coffers low. The actuaries will be busy reformulating risks after this hurricane season.

[edit on 9/10/2004 by titian]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
we are sorry for what is happening
to Cuba and Jamaica etc. etc. someone else
will have to go and help those poor folks out
for a change

My mistake. I just heard on the news that we
are sending millions and millions of $$ to Granada.
Bet the same ends up happening for Jamaica and
Cuba. Looks like America is generous even while
it's been ripped apart itself. We have millions and
millions of Americans displaced by the storm, and yet
we still reach out to help others. Amazing.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Looks like I lost the argument, and we're flying up there anyways.... Hmm...60 degrees versus 90 degrees and 100 percent humidity.....sounds good. At least we're flying First...I hate coach

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Sorry Hellmutt, but even though we are sorry for what is happening
to Cuba and Jamaica etc. etc. someone else will have to go and
help those poor folks out for a change. We have a crisis situation
of our own right now. You are welcome to remind those in Europe
and elsewhere that we could use some help once in a while too.

Sorry bout that.
Just before I wrote that, I was reading so many articles where they briefly mentioned Cuba, Jamaica, etc., The wording of these articles was like the other places didnt count and wasnt important at all. Only the situation for Florida was a concern. I think these journalists (Europeans) might have just translated directly from american articles where they of course was more concerned about Florida (and I dont blame the americans for that). The wording was something like : "...And after Ivan have destroyed everything on its way, then we will all worry about what will happen to Florida and we will all pray for Florida together." See what I mean? The wording is wrong.

I was actually meaning to attack these European journalists which obviously forgot about Cuba, Grenada, Jamaica, and so on...
And I appreciate that US is sending aid to Cuba, Jamaica etc.
Specially when they have these problems of their own.

My criticism was not about aid, but was meant to be about unprofessional emptyheaded journalists.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Fidel Castro gave a speech saying to batten down the hatches, take cover and this time they (he) will not accept any help from the USA.
wonder if he really means it

LL1

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
"AT 11 PM EDT...0300Z...THE EYE OF HURRICANE IVAN WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 17.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 76.9 WEST OR ABOUT 35 MILES...
55 KM...SOUTH OF KINGSTON JAMAICA."

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I was bored and watching the Weather Channel near the top of the hour 1am central time and the weather man was reading a statement from one of the hurricane hunters that measured a pressure of 905mb and a flight level wind of 187kts or about 215mph. If that is correct the 905mb would put it in the league with Mitch and on the heals of Gilbert as being one of the worst hurricanes ever observed in the western hemisphere. The 2am AST (1am central) update did not include this new information. Was this an error or just too late for the new update? For the sake of the people in Jamaica I hope its wrong.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Was this an error or just too late for the new update? For the sake of the people in Jamaica I hope its wrong.

I have had a bad feeling about this one from the begining. If they tell you to Evac., please do it, this one is going to be nasty.

Cuba isn't going to slow this one down.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I have heard nothing new about the initial report that was ready by the Weather Channel staff so I assume that it may have been a bad reading by the hunter.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Drudge Report says winds now at 165MPH. This is a true monster. Lets hope it veers off somehow.

rc

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I live in FL. Where do you all think its going to hit here? We keep hearing all these different things and its very stressful. I wish they knew and since they dont they dont need to keep changing it every couple of hours. Whats your thoughts on the impact spot?

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Folks, Ivan's just got more terrible,

WTNT61 KNHC 111931
TCUAT
BULLETIN
HURRICANE IVAN UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
330 PM EDT SAT SEP 11 2004

DATA JUST RECEIVED FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE INDICATE
THAT IVAN HAS REGAINED CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY ON THE
SAFFIR/SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS FALLEN TO
AN EXTRAPOLATED PRESSURE OF 914 MB AND THE ESTIMATED SURFACE WINDS
HAVE INCREASED TO 165 MPH...270 KM/HR. THESE NEW VALUES OR FURTHER
UPDATES WILL BE INCORPORATED IN THE NEXT ADVISORY.

FORECASTER AVILA

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join