It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax cuts..I call shenanigans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
OK, I'm trying to get this straight. When discussing the Bush tax cuts, Democrats claim that letting them expire is not a "tax increase". On the other hand, not extending their current pet payroll tax cut is a "huge tax increase".... What?

Is there a double standard going on here?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

Yah, as I understand it the Tax "cut" is just "no new taxes"... for now.
Like the TV Ads say. "No Money Down!" Or, "Zero interest until 2012".

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I don't know what phone number you have, but everytime I call shenanigans I get a busy signal.

Does anyone on ATS actually have the right number for shenanigans?
An address maybe?
I'm not opposed to writing a letter.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Enlightening post

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The best part is the accusation Obama will raise your taxes after he already lowered them.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
I don't know what phone number you have, but everytime I call shenanigans I get a busy signal.

Does anyone on ATS actually have the right number for shenanigans?
An address maybe?
I'm not opposed to writing a letter.

Shenanigan's Irish Pub

Back on topic...

Originally posted by -Blackout-

Is there a double standard going on here?

Of course. It's politics. I wouldn't expect anything less.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It's ALL double speak. sometimes they call our taxes their revenue. A budget surplus is in reality an over tax. and they do not have to fine the money for a tax break....its already my money. I earned it.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Democrats are wrong: It is a tax hike.. and it does effect the Middle Class (average for a family of 4 by $400 a year) but it does raise the taxes more for upper income families even more (making over $250k)

However..

While it may be a tax hike.. Republicans are wrong too: It's not raising the taxes, especially for upper income families significantly at all.. in fact, it's simply bringing them back up to "normal levels".

However..

Both are extra wrong in this fact: If they raise the taxes back to "normal" levels prior to the tax cut, then the tax discrepancy between middle income families and the lower class income brackets is exploited significantly. Because with the Bush tax cuts were numerous other programs passed separately that offered huge new credits and tax cuts to the poorer Americans.

What does this mean? By raising the taxes on the Middle income and Upper income, but not getting rid of the new credits and tax breaks for the poor, a larger percentage of taxation and responsibility to uphold the entire welfare system falls onto the Middle income families particularly hard. The solution: For every percentage point you raise taxes on the Middle Class and Rich you must increase on the Poor.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by type0civ

And they'll tax it again if you buy something, and then if you sell it and then buy something more...
Ahhh, so thats how they increase my taxes. Just follow me around and stand out side every store I come out of with their hand out. Wait, isn't "pan handling" illegal?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Just another round of duck,duck,goose on Capitol Hill really. The payroll tax exemption should never been put in place to begin with. And we won't even touch on the genius of the Bush taxcuts while war plans were on the table. It is all designed to convince Americans they are doing something even if that something literally means we are getting nothing. Every single citizen in this country knows that the tax code needs a complete overhaul. Every politician in this country says they know it does. yet they are still trying to get by on changing the plugs and wires.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'm not smart. When I see/hear agendas to "cut taxes", almost always there will be an "increase" elsewhere to offset the "loss" of said "cuts".

top topics

join