It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does a Sharia-like justice system appeal to you?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I was wondering. Because whenever somebody posts a news story about a crime, especially if it's rape for some reason, or someone did something to a kid or an old person (guess if someone assaults a 22 year old man like me, it's not quite worth the rage
) , the topic, on this forum, and pretty much all the forums that I read that have a Current Events section, inevitably evolves into a revenge and torture fantasy scenario discussion.

During the Casey Anthony trial, most people seemed to have wanted her convicted of murder, even though the evidence was lacking. I do think she probably did it, and that in a way it is a shame she escaped justice, but it sets a dangerous precedent to convict someone without evidence. I find it pretty disturbing that most people would have done away with 'innocent until proven guilty' in that case.

Two thirds of Americans support the death penalty, and a similar number believe the death penalty isn't a deterrent. So really, we believe Vengeance is a virtue. Nobody cares about prison rape in this country because people just think of it as a part of the punishment. So really, we believe Torture is justified and good.

If put to the vote, would you actually want a system where things like public stoning, hanging, the stocks, whipping, flaying, beheading, etc was re-instated? Or a system where when it came to certain things, like pedophilia, innocent until proven guilty doesn't necessarily apply? IE, essentially a secular version of Sharia justice?

edit on 24-12-2011 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
That's ridiculous.

Salem witch style hunts would occur again. Which in the end would make people remember why a justice system evolved like the one we have in the west today.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I would vote for corporal punishment, for certain crimes like repeat rapes, murder, assaults, etc. I also believe that each case should be viewed individually and extensively before each punishment is carried out.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
That's ridiculous.

Salem witch style hunts would occur again. Which in the end would make people remember why a justice system evolved like the one we have in the west today.

I agree it's ridiculous, but it seems like what most people deep down want.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
No... Sharia Law does not appeal to me.

Likewise, since I am a Christian... would a Christian based law system appeal to others?

What if I was a Buddist...

What if I worshipped Ishtar?...Fertility rites in every jail cell?

No, there has to be a common law that applies to all irregardless of religion.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
No... Sharia Law does not appeal to me.

Likewise, since I am a Christian... would a Christian based law system appeal to others?

What if I was a Buddist...

What if I worshipped Ishtar?...Fertility rites in every jail cell?

No, there has to be a common law that applies to all irregardless of religion.

I guess I don't mean Sharia in the sense of being Islamic (which in a way is silly since that's all it means), but rather Sharia-like in its brutality and focus on retribution.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Long live the Republic!

People need to learn what the Constitution and Bill of Rights were designed for, to protect all citizen's liberties from being trampled by tyranny.

Rule of law is far preferable to the rule of the mob or rule by tyrants!

We just need to educate our fellow citizens about this wonderful document so that they will realize that by protecting all citizen's liberty they may be protected as well. And on the contrary, if one human's rights are arbitrarily trampled than it opens the door for all human's liberties to be arbitrarily trampled.

United States Constitution
Bill of Rights
Liberty
Tyranny

edit on 24-12-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

I agree it's ridiculous, but it seems like what most people deep down want.

They are being manipulated by propaganda which preys upon their emotions and twists them against human rights by making them believe that tyranny is the solution to crime.

But in reality you cannot protect human rights by trampling them.

They are being manipulated to give up their liberty for security, which eliminates both and grants neither.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
depends what country you grow up in and what you have gotten use to, it all relative. But I cant see it being a use to the west. even thought it would clear up a lot of problems and i'm sure people would think more about doing things it would cause more than it sorts out just as if we tried to implement a no religious based law system in a predominant Islamic country. But no I don't think it appeals to me since im from the west.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think the op's point is that when someone posts about a crime that was committed in the forums that the threads often devolve into a torture/rage/revenge thread .. you hear comments calling for death and various other things.. so I think that's the point of asking if people here would like a Sharia-like justice system.

I for one don't .. I don't believe in a revenge style justice system, I think people should have some REAL opportunity for rehabilitation, and if they are so mental they can't be rehabilitated, then persue the appropriate mental treatment. The problem is that there's really any rehabilitation in our society.. we just ship people off to serve prison sentences where they often get isolated, beaten up, raped or abused in other ways.. treated less than human, then regurgitated back to society often worse than when they went in ..

Or treat it like Escape from New York =) .... a prison colony where they can live as they want to live, be animals if they like.. if they can't live by society rules, let them have their own society.. create a colony based on the crime.. if they are a rapist, put them in with 10,000 other rapists.. then they can all happily rape each other..

Ok the last paragraph isn't so serious

edit on 12/24/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree rather vigorously with miniatus' call for a rehabilitation based justice system.

The current system has a certain penalty for a certain offense. This penalty has been decided upon by the people or their representatives. Something like drunk in public? Maybe a week in jail. BUT THEN IT'S DONE. If, instead, you choose the rehabilitation path, some doctor of rehabilitation will decide how long the poor guy has to stay in rehab; six months, a year, how long does it take to rehab an alcoholic? He may never get out.

If for some reason, the prisoner refuses to be rehabilitated, you don't release him after his time is up, he gets sent to a psych ward. You must know what happens to you there.

And if it's all rehab, then you're saying the perpetrator is just ill, we should have sympathy for him. He didn't do anything wrong, he just exhibited signs of illness. There is no evil, there is no bad behavior, he's just ill. And we'll treat him for as long as we want to before we say he's "cured."

And if you're accused of a hate crime? We'll just keep you until you're attitudes toward that group are in line with our idea of what they should be.

No, miniatus, I don't want to live in the world you're describing. Justice is gone, replaced by health care.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I dont want ANY of the LOUSY religions being made into law over me.

Religion deserves to become extinct rather than being enforced as the law over humans.
edit on 24-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by HangTheTraitors
I dont want ANY of the LOUSY religions being made into law over me.

Religion deserves to become extinct rather than a law enforced over humans.

lmao I love how your description says you are on your neighbours wireless connection. i use my neighbours for my ps3

I completely agree. They have shown time and time again that their ways and traditions are just irrational and not to be taken seriously.

we have evolved beyond the need for religious constraint.
human laws suffice based on sound science.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I never claimed there weren't special cases or considerations per crime on how to persue rehabilitation.. you filled in the blanks with assumptions.. it would have to be fleshed out in detail .. Perhaps in your example of a drunk driver being pulled over.. That should be, as it is now, a repeat offense crime (in most places) before action is taken.. And I do think the idea of probation works out in many cases like that, send him through a rehabilitation program and enforce routine random checkups for a period of time.. I'm not a lawmaker, or an enforcer... I just think our current system is horrible .. as I said, it doesn't rehabilitate criminals in most cases, it just isolates them and hardens them.. I never suggested a misdemeanor such as drunk driving should be on the path to the mental ward..
edit on 12/24/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Human laws suffice based on sound science.
This subject fascinates me. I'm asking seriously, because I want to know, what science will give us laws? Certainly not Chemistry, Physics, Geology, or Botany, but I haven't been keeping up. There's probably some science that can produce laws that we will accept being governed by. Which?

How would a science do this? By experimentation? Formulas? Theorems?

I know this might sound critical, but I'm only trying to learn here.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Yes.

I'd be one of the last people in America who still had hands. After Sharia Law cut the hands off all the thieves.

There'd be very few of us to drive, fly, and use rifles.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by yourmaker

Human laws suffice based on sound science.
This subject fascinates me. I'm asking seriously, because I want to know, what science will give us laws? Certainly not Chemistry, Physics, Geology, or Botany, but I haven't been keeping up. There's probably some science that can produce laws that we will accept being governed by. Which?

How would a science do this? By experimentation? Formulas? Theorems?

I know this might sound critical, but I'm only trying to learn here.

psychology or social sciences. one could write the laws around the behaviour expectations of the human mind.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lampsalot

You need to do some research- Sharia law doesn't punish the rapist- it punishes the "rapee" for bringing dishonor to her family-ever heard of "honor killings" ? Is that what you really want?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Uhhhhhhhhhhh . . .

NO WAY JOSE.

There's enough injustice flung about with the current system.

However, I read somewhere that the Marxist globalist oligarchy plans to solve all such problems.

They purportedly plan to empower and order police to shoot dead on sight all law breakers.

Evidently they are still arguing about whether that includes the first parking ticket or the 2nd.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Sharia law? No.

But it's hard to deny that sometimes it's primitive cruelty is warranted. And fair.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join