It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange could be handed over to US, supporters claim

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
reply to post by Xcathdra

Newt thinks so. not to mention that he thinks that if elected he will be above all law. Including supreme court. He can do whatever he wishes in his opinion. If I were JA I'd be scared #less. Not to mention the public statements made about him by people in power. Calls for assasination etc.

Here's a link to a thread I just read about Newt wanting to over-power the supreme court. I would also be scared if I was Julian, though I'm still iffy on the whole Wikileak thing in general (though it was fun to read the site).

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Well, what can the US do to him anyway?
He is NOT guilty of treason, his accent hints that he may not be a US citizen.
So, I guess that makes him a reporter.
Is reporting illegal?
Do we kill the messenger nowadays?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

if he ends up in the us he WILL!!! die the media will say it was of natural causes but we will all know it was the government

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by tetriswoooo

My first thought when I read this,, he will die or be tortured... IMO>

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I'm not sure if you were all aware about this next article, I wasn't aware of it until just now.

Files on Manning's computer linked to WikiLeaks site

(Reuters) - Classified files downloaded to the computer of Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning matched those that later showed up on WikiLeaks, an investigator testified on Sunday, the first time the government has linked Manning to the whistleblowing website.

Special Agent David Shaver, a computer crimes investigator with the military, said an analysis of Manning's two classified computers revealed hundreds of sensitive files and file fragments that were accessed or downloaded through the military's secret computer network.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

None of those things will stop the states if they really want him...

We're certainly living in interesting times though, who would have expected any of this to be occuring at the start of 2011

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

reply to post by PsykoOps

Correct this is not new. Assanges and his legal team have been making these claims ever since Sweden went forward with the investigation. They have always maintained that if Assange returns to Sweden, the would in turn hand him over to the US, where they claim he could be charged with treason, placed in gitmo while facing the death penalty.

The Guardian - Jan 2011

Gitmo and Illegal extradition claim

Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, could be at "real risk" of the death penalty or detention in Guantánamo Bay if he is extradited to Sweden on accusations of rape and sexual assault, his lawyers claim.

Death Penalty Claim

"Indeed, if Mr Assange were rendered to the USA, without assurances that the death penalty would not be carried out, there is a real risk that he could be made subject to the death penalty. It is well known that prominent figures have implied, if not stated outright, that Mr Assange should be executed."

Treason
He is not a US citizen and cannot be charged with treason in the US.
Australia has already stated they will not bring treason charges against him.

All of his "fears" have been answered, yet he and his legal team are still using them in an effort to prevent his return to Sweden. His lawyers have also made several other claims, either blaming the US, the EU legal system as well as Sweden's, depending on which argument works best with whatever they are addressing at the time.

As with the idiotic death penalty claim, Assanges lawyer is also arguing that the crime he is accused of in Sweden is not a crime in the UK, and therefore should not be extradited. Last I checked Assange was in Sweden when the incident occurred, not the UK, which means UK courts have no legal jurisdiction over the charge itself.

The truth, the half truth and whatever helps Assange out apparently. Ironic for Assange, who tries to claim the moral high ground, while at the same time he uses the same methods he accuses governments / high profile people of doing.

Whats even more hypocritical is how pissed he got when people delved into his personal life and exposed information,yet he is perfectly fine doing to other people. The claim about Sweden not giving them all the information is funny as well since some of the information had already been leaked to the media, which again he was pissed about, yet he has no issues exposing others who "break the law" in his eyes. Its ok for him to try others in the court of public opinion, yet when its done against him he gets pissy about it. How exactly does his attorney know if they received all of the information or not?

Anyways, like I have stated time and again Assanges is milking wikileaks for whatever he can get out of it, while at the same time making promises that people believe, which he never delivers.

He reminds me of Lucy from Charlie Brown... He gets you guys all set up with the ball, and right before you go to punt it, he yanks it away at the last minute, only to do it again a few months later.

edit on 20-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I'm not sure if you were all aware about this next article, I wasn't aware of it until just now.

Files on Manning's computer linked to WikiLeaks site

(Reuters) - Classified files downloaded to the computer of Army intelligence analyst Bradley Manning matched those that later showed up on WikiLeaks, an investigator testified on Sunday, the first time the government has linked Manning to the whistleblowing website.

Special Agent David Shaver, a computer crimes investigator with the military, said an analysis of Manning's two classified computers revealed hundreds of sensitive files and file fragments that were accessed or downloaded through the military's secret computer network.

Jolt in WikiLeaks Case: Feds Found Manning-Assange Chat Logs on Laptop

There was also evidence that wikileaks supposedly sent manning encryption software that would allow manning to send the classified information out of network without triggering filters in place to flag / prevent such an action.

The manner in which the information obtained is key to the charge, as well as undermining any claim of whistle blowing. The reason being a person who exposes information of criminal wrongdoing has direct knowledge of how the crime occurred through authorized or accidental access.

In this case, the information accessed (not all of it, bulk the large bulk) was illegally accessed. The information taken did not provide evidence of criminal wrongdoing (again in the bulk of the material). If a person could claim whistle-blower status because they provided information to anyone who has a computer, then there would be no need for the CIA, NSA or levels of classification.

Assange = the pigs from Animal Farm.
- All are equal, but some are more equal than others.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Newt thinks so. not to mention that he thinks that if elected he will be above all law. Including supreme court. He can do whatever he wishes in his opinion. If I were JA I'd be scared #less. Not to mention the public statements made about him by people in power. Calls for assasination etc.

To me Newt, is just way too creepy and somehow so sure his views are appropriate for the rest of us. Ah, no. He wants the power to "arrest individual judges, and repeal rulings of both the federal judges and chief justices of the US Supreme Court". Any ruling he doesn't like. Dear Newt you HAVE heard of the seperation of powers? If not, ask Obama, he taught constitutional law. Jeeeze. Can you say "unconstitutional"? If this guy isn't on something, maybe he should be, under a doctors care...
edit on 20/12/11 by arbiture because: Add stuff to the post.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I still can't for the life of me figure out why the hell people still support Julian. He threw Bradly under the bus and now he is a freaking hero looking for MONEY.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkipperJohn

I still can't for the life of me figure out why the hell people still support Julian. He threw Bradly under the bus and now he is a freaking hero looking for MONEY.

Well thank you for saying exactly what I have felt about this whole thing. Julian used that kid, pure and simple. For his own advantage. And who has paid the bigger price? It ain't Julian... Disgusting.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Again I'm repeating myself but where is his lawyers saying that he could be charged with treason? I'm not seeing any such claims. I even ctrl+f and still couldn't find it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

You have difficulty admitting your mistakes. The thread is about the NEW letter sent to The Guardian with certain signatories making these claims. At the time of this thread being authored, the story was only one hour old. You told me it wasn't new. I corrected you and explained that it is new since it only broke an hour ago at the time.

I'm not going to have a petty argument with you over something so obviously clear. Perhaps you may realize that you've made a simple mistake and just drop it, I really don't care because this is all the time I'm going to spend on this trivial matter that you can't seem to get over.

This is new, you were wrong

edit on 20-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Actually Congress is allowed to make changes to the court system of the US, except for the Supreme court. That is in the Constitution as well, in the section marked Legislative Branch.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Because its not new. His lawyers / legal staff / assange himself have made all of these claims before. Just because they showed up, again, in the news doesnt mean they are new.

You and Psykoops need to learn how to read instead of seeing just what you want. Psyko read my response, and you will see where I correctd the treason part. While Ctrl - F is good for searching, it doesnt read the post for you, nor does it comprehend it for you.

That is something that is left solely to you. Its something I would highly recomend, that way we wont have derailments of the thread because you refuse to read, which forces everyone to continue to have the same conversation with you. Whats even more pathetic is the fact you ignored the facts that showed you were were wrong, while focusing one the one issue, treason - which was corrected - so yuo can continue your typical game of obfuscation.

Get over yourself... Assange is a jack ass and should be charged, although its very apparent by his own actions that he can do no wrong.

He certainly puts Ahab to shame.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Because its not new. His lawyers / legal staff / assange himself have made all of these claims before. Just because they showed up, again, in the news doesnt mean they are new.

Eeh... so much talk about reading comprehension and yet you fail to read yourself? This letter is new and the piece about is new.

You and Psykoops need to learn how to read...

I read just fine thank you.

Get over yourself... Assange is a jack ass and should be charged, although its very apparent by his own actions that he can do no wrong.

He certainly puts Ahab to shame.

Pot... kettle... black.

Noone is denying that the swedish affair should be settled. As weak of a case it is there should be a resolution but to apprehend someone for questioning to a country that can send you to gitmo is not a way to do it.
Before you go on about your rants about him not being able to go to gitmo etc. save them for your own fairytale world. US is notorious for it's policy of snatching people and sending them off to gitmo or where ever. It's well documented. Not to mention that such options have been covered in the media for multiple times regarding JA.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

eh... so much talk about reading comprehension and yet you fail to read yourself? This letter is new and the piece about is new.

Not the information / claims being made in it. They raised these issues when the Sweden issue came about.

I read just fine thank you.

Apparently not since the info in the op article is also in the links I provided which goes back a year or two. Im not referring to the op article itself, but the information in it, which is old news.

Pot... kettle... black.

I have not been able to argue with you lately

Noone is denying that the swedish affair should be settled. As weak of a case it is there should be a resolution but to apprehend someone for questioning to a country that can send you to gitmo is not a way to do it.
Before you go on about your rants about him not being able to go to gitmo etc. save them for your own fairytale world. US is notorious for it's policy of snatching people and sending them off to gitmo or where ever. It's well documented. Not to mention that such options have been covered in the media for multiple times regarding JA.

He cannot go to Gitmo and the continued insinuation he can is nothing more than an attempt to continue to portray the US Government as something its not simply because you don't like their actions on certain issues. The US Supreme Court has made it very clear who can be held in Gitmo and who cannot.

Gitmo is a military facility, not civilian and since Assange is not involved in a direct military action against US / Allied / UN forces, the military has no jurisdiction.

** - Clarification about Pvt. Manning from another post earlier in this thread - **
The prosecution of Pvt. Manning is underway but not the trial portion. Right now he is going through his Article 32 hearing. The Prosecution just rested their case yesterday so we should know shortly whether there was enough information presented to refer the matter to general court martial.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
How about arguing facts instead of this childish semantics BS ???

That's addressed to a few here.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

They can say he is suspect in Manning case. Or a witness. For gods sake they can say he is suspected of raping unicorns in hawaii and vóila.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

They can say he is suspect in Manning case. Or a witness. For gods sake they can say he is suspected of raping unicorns in hawaii and vóila.

Unlike the Unicorn, the charges are real as are the ladies making the accusation against him. If Assange and his legal team are that confident that the 2 ladies are not being truthful, and have evidence to support that argument, then why do everything you can to avoid going back to Sweden?

If the info they have is so airtight, then the Swedish court will throw out the charges.

I look forward to you / anyone else response that will undoubtedly find more excuses for Assange, not that he needs the help with that tactic. He is using a non existent argument in order to get out of the rape / sex charges in Sweden. That tells me there is most likely truth to the rape / sex claims.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join