It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange could be handed over to US, supporters claim

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Julian Assange could be handed over to US, supporters claim

www.telegraph.co.uk

Julian Assange faces being extradited to the US if British authorities agree to Swedish extradition, his supporters have claimed in a letter to the Daily Telegraph.

Signatories including Prof Noam Chomsky, the academic, and film director Ken Loach said that once in Sweden Mr Assange could be handed over to America without the "appropriate legal processes that accompany normal extradition cases."

The WikiLeaks founder was this month given permission by the Supreme Court to appeal against his extradition to Sweden where he could face rape and sexual assault charges.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm not sure what to make of this. If Sweden were to hand him over to the U.S. authorities it could be very bad for Julian Assange. American officials have recommended he gets assassinated and now there is speculation of him being extradited to the United States.

Of course this could be a tactic by the signatories of the letter just to keep him out of Sweden to avoid possible charges over there. I wonder what would happen to him if he got extradited. What type of sentence would he be facing for these charges?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I think this might not be a bad thing in the end. It will give wikileaks more exposure and the way they handle him will just prove his points of corruption. Hopefully good comes of it in the end.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, if that's the case, then he's got a very good chance of winning a case against extradition. At least, he should.

I think we all know where he'll end up if he does get transferred here. In the interests of human rights, they simply cannot extradite him.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Curiously congressional investigation found that WL and JA are on the clear in the issue. What would the charge then be?
[Edit to fix]
edit on 18/12/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by CREAM

It could work out the way you mentioned, but in my opinion this would end up being a bad thing. From what I hear they're pretty angry at him for what was leaked. Then of course there is always the theory that he is a CIA front and this is all an act.

I haven't completely made up my mind about the whole Wikileaks scandal, a lot of it smelled pretty fishy.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
I think this might not be a bad thing in the end. It will give wikileaks more exposure and the way they handle him will just prove his points of corruption. Hopefully good comes of it in the end.

I have to agree with you. The longer he resists and fights, the more chance they just kidnap him off the street and 'Render' him back here in secret. Then, his world is a really dark place indefinitely.

It may very well be a good thing if he is extradited over here in the bright light of day and brought to public trial in the same way. I would absolutely LOVE to hear him have his day in court. Whatever I feel about little Bradly Manning, Assange was acting in the best traditions of guerrilla and investigative Journalism by the time everything hit HIS desk and website. He even spent incredible time censoring out names and operational details before he released material on his own site.

Oh yes... extradite him and lets hear, in open court, what theory the United States Government believes they can use to convict a man who did NOTHING DIFFERENT than the New York Times, the Guardian and others..and did it all in a foreign nation, totally removed from American Jurisdiction. It's about time a case THIS CLEAR come up to just slam the U.S. Government back into it's place for legal authority outside our borders.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I don't know what the charge would be. These claims came from a group of people who wrote a letter to the Telegraph. As I mentioned in my OP this could all be a publicity stunt just to keep him out of Sweden. But the article mentions he could face charges in the United States. There are no official statements about this yet. This does have a level of sensationalism to it.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm thinking that there isn't anything they could charge him with. He could however be detained as enemy combatant or something and just be punished without charges.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

That is a very likely scenario, if he were to actually get extradited.

Where did you hear that he was cleared of any wrong doing by the American officials?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

This is not new, and its the same song and dance his people have been using in order to get out of the Sweden incident.

A few things to note -
* - Assange is not a US citizen, so cant be charged with treason, as his lawyers claim.
* - Assange would not set foot in Gitmo as he is not an enemy combatent nor was he captured by the military, as his lawyers claim.
* - The crimes Assange could be charged with would be a prison sentence, and not a death sentence as his lawyers claim.

Last but not least, he has never been charged with any crimes, so the entire US argument he and his lawyers are using are nothnig but BS and done in an effort to distract peoples attention from what he is currently wanted for in Sweden - wanted for questioning for supposed illicit behavior under Swedish law (no matter how moronic that law may be).

For a person who preaches about accountability, he sure seems to ignore it himself.

As a side note Pvt. Manning's trial is underway and no charges were brought against Assange.

link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
I'm thinking that there isn't anything they could charge him with. He could however be detained as enemy combatant or something and just be punished without charges.

No he could not.

link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Congressional Research Service There's a summary somewhere there. It's well worth the read thought.

reply to post by Xcathdra

Source for those "his lawyers claim" parts?
edit on 18/12/2011 by PsykoOps because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

This is not new

What do you mean this is not new? This is about a letter sent to the Telegraph by Assange supporters. According to my search, this was just released an hour ago. Are you telling me you have heard about this letter before?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
What makes me angry is the fact that the Australian Government won't help him. It is under Australian law that the Australian Government MUST help an Australian who is in trouble with the law overseas. In Assange's case, our Prime Minister said she will think about helping Mr Assange. She said that 1 1/2 months ago, so i guess she chose not to help him, breaching the Australian law. Sucks to be Assange, sold out by his own country.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well I guess will see. As far as I'm concerned, I pity the poor dumb dupe (who's name escapes me) that actually got his hands on, and transferred the documents. As far as the US getting it's hands on Assenge I don't honestly know how they could. Could the Swede's have invented the whole sex crime issue just to get their hands on him? Well yeah, thats possible. But a simple kidnapping would have been a lot easier. Not like it hasn't been done before...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Newt thinks so. not to mention that he thinks that if elected he will be above all law. Including supreme court. He can do whatever he wishes in his opinion. If I were JA I'd be scared #less. Not to mention the public statements made about him by people in power. Calls for assasination etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

@ Newt, has he no shame?

Another reason to think he is a complete whack job.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Exacly. Why would anyone even think about voting for that guy? He is a full on whacko.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by PsykoOps

No he could not.

You know, the problem is.... You're 100% correct and on the money, in pre-9/11 America. Julian Assange would have absolutely nothing to worry about....before Rendition became a routine extension of U.S. foreign policy and conduct. Legally, Assange would be 100% free of reasons to feel hunted, prior to Gitmo, Jose Padilla and a number of similar things I can point to since it all changed that September morning.

If anyone on Earth knows just how much he has to worry about and how many ways he should be paranoid, it's Julian Assange. After all, he's spent the last years buried over his head in Classified material from all directions..(much never went on his site at all)..showing precisely how ugly and nasty the American authorities can be against those they REALLY HATE but just can't find the legal means to tag.

As far as having nothing on him... Again, you're right...except.........
It seems the lack of law and charge is a minor quirk to get past. Ask our Leadership as they run year after year with no formal budget at all (This was the first one in 2 years that wasn't a 'Deem and Pass' to at least some degree) and pass unconstitutional measures while actually chuckling in the FACE of someone who questions it. Recall Pelosi when asked what constitutional authority supported Obamacare?

I think Assange has plenty of reasons to sleep very rough at night. Perhaps getting over here and standing for whatever B.S. charges are thrown at him will be the only long term way to end that in his life.

edit on 18-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: spacing change

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join