It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why People Troll Dead Kids on Facebook

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Internet trolls! Everyone hates them. But are they actually good for something? A new academic paper argues the worst sort of trolling illuminates harsh truths about social networking, the internet, and the mainstream media.

RIP Trolling is one of the most distasteful forms of trolling, a fixture of troll hive 4chan, and has thus become one of the most publicized. After every high profile tragedy, a panic about the anonymous hordes viciously trolling the memorial pages of the victims invariably hits the media. The most infamous RIP troll is Sean Duffy, the Englishman jailed for posting messages like "Help me mummy, It's hot in Hell" on a dead girls' page—on Mother's day.

Pretty interesting little article on those that troll memorial pages online. It really is probably the most reprehensible form of trolling I can imagine, and I am always disgusted when I see a story about it. That being said, I don't think anyone should be jailed for what they say (unless threatening). I certainly wouldn't mind seeing people get banned from whatever site they are using to troll. I don't really buy the woman's attempts to forgive these folks, but again, interesting article.

Link

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Simple:

Lack of empathy.

Those people who do rip-trolling are most likely pampered suburban kids with all the material goods they could demand, a roof over their head and food in their mouth. But no proper mom or dad to teach them right from wrong. A lack of social skills and awareness stems from this lack of empathy.

Basically, their brains are not fully grown and the chances for their brain to fully grow are very small.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I was always taught that you should never speak ill of the dead. Whether it is just a lesson in good old fashioned respect or some type of leftover from the days of olde wisdom and magic.

This world of ours produces some really objectionable people. Why would anyone want to troll the deceased? It is evil and it is a reflection of all the evil that abounds in every society. I cannot wait until we get to the part of this Earth journey where we are all awake and aware and ready to be decent.

There should be a crime for writing anything outside respectful comments for a deceased person. If it isn't a crime then people will think it is okay. A certain amount of people will think twice and the real lunatics and the soulless will continue and eventually be made to atone.

I know it won't happen but I can voice my opinion. The dead - whoever they are and however they lived should be respected and allowed their Peace.

Much Peace...to all those Souls in Spirit...guide the living as many are completely lost...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I hate facebook and all social networking.

It leads to bullying and oneupmanship and it stinks.

Grinch Grinch Grinch.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

There should be a crime for writing anything outside respectful comments for a deceased person. If it isn't a crime then people will think it is okay. A certain amount of people will think twice and the real lunatics and the soulless will continue and eventually be made to atone.

I vehemently disagree with that. You should never have speech be a crime (unless threats etc.). It is a horrible, disgusting thing that these people do, but slippery slope on hurtful comments. Too hard to draw the line. Best to just make memorial pages private.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Amanda5

I vehemently disagree with that. You should never have speech be a crime (unless threats etc.). It is a horrible, disgusting thing that these people do, but slippery slope on hurtful comments. Too hard to draw the line. Best to just make memorial pages private.

Yes you SHOULD have some speech be a crime that is why hate speech is illegal. Words are very powerful, one could get someone else to kill just by using words. Until people are responsible enough to take this into account when speaking, hate speech should be illegal. I have yet to meet a mature person who thinks otherwise.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

Yes you SHOULD have some speech be a crime that is why hate speech is illegal.

It is? In the U.S.? I was not aware. I still say slippery slope and that no one, anywhere, ever, should get in any legal trouble for what they say (again aside from threats).

I have yet to meet a mature person who thinks otherwise.

Implying I am immature is hate speech. Jail for you.
edit on 18-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

reply to post by InfoKartel

Yes you SHOULD have some speech be a crime that is why hate speech is illegal.

It is? In the U.S.? I was not aware. I still say slippery slope and that no one, anywhere, ever, should get in any legal trouble for what they say (again aside from threats).

I have yet to meet a mature person who thinks otherwise.

edit on 18-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

Yeah, they have hate speech laws in the U.S. Slippery slope indeed.

Trolling the deceased is a tough one. Abjectly cold-blooded, you must admit. Like the wbc people, showing up at funerals to troll. I agree speech should not be illegal, but repercussions are in order. Beat-downs, shunning, what have you.

Anyone that would do such a thing deserves to see that their actions are beyond the pale of accepted human behavior, and reap the consequences. I don't think it should be illegal, from the state's perspective, but if I ever sit on a jury in the case of someone that beat the piss out of a person who trolled the deceased, I'm sticking with a not guilty verdict. They got what they deserved, imho.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by VariableConstant

Yeah, they have hate speech laws in the U.S.

Looked it up and it appears so. It also appears they are rarely used and have more to do with inciting violence.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Absolutely. In this world of hate it's absolutely irresponsible for anyone to make a memorial page 'public' - especially in a high profile case.
That is unless the person(s) responsible for the page are looking for negative attention - adn believe me - there are people who absolutely crave negative attention regardless who the victim is and how much or little he/she meant to the person who needs their 'negative/victim' fix. Some people can't live without feeling victimized.

Regardless - should we censor comments? Absofreakintutely not! That's just the height of ignorance. People need to grow a pair, keep your 'memorials' on private, or take the heat. That's the real world these days. Is it nice? No. Should it be? That's debatable but I'll chuck 'nice' in the wheely-bin any day before I suck up to censorship.

peace

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Regardless - should we censor comments? Absofreakintutely not! That's just the height of ignorance. People need to grow a pair, keep your 'memorials' on private, or take the heat. That's the real world these days. Is it nice? No. Should it be? That's debatable but I'll chuck 'nice' in the wheely-bin any day before I suck up to censorship.

Completely agree with you. Are you from the UK? I like wheely-bin.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
When you and your family and friends get together for a memorial service at the funeral home - do you allow strangers in to gawk at the open casket, or tee-hee-hee over grieving loved ones?

I think not.

So why expose yourself to the same online?

If the death of your loved one is a 'high profile case' and you want the public involved? It's simple. You don't like what you're reading? Jump to the next comment or as a friend to edit your FB/social network sight for you before you go in to read.

The last thing we need is more laws to 'protect us' when we should be using our heads for more than hat racks and and protecting ourselves. On line and off.

Added note: Nope, I'm in Sicily. I like wheely-bin too, lol.
peace
edit on 18-12-2011 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Because the internet has brought out the inherent unholiness of people. In society they pretend to be good people but when they know there are no consequences they reveal the true conditions of their hearts. And people still believe the tripe that man is inherently good. Man needs to be told how to be moral or he will be like this.
edit on 18-12-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

can a person be held accountable in court for slander or libel if the victim is already dead?

-subfab

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I just ignore them.
That's why I am rarely bothered by it.

It would be cool if other people could ignore it also. But sadly some folks are insane and believe they have to read it and have to respond in some way. Pity.

I just think everyone needs to be reminded again that they have the right to ignore things other people say. If trolls were ignored they would go do something else. True facts.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by subfab

I doubt it but saying 'LOL ur kid is dead' isn't slander and it isn't libel.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

And it means something that the worst trolling is usually done by young, white men, against young women, gays, and minorities—some of whom are forced off the internet forever as a result of rape and death threats.

This is total garbage right here.

Show me actual scientific statistics that prove this claim.

Anyone can make anything up and claim it, dare I say the writer of this article is trolling?
It's a very racist and sexist claim especially considering it's an opinion and there is no reference supplied along side of it to support it.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Well I have touched a nerve!

If there is no crime for decrying the deceased then people will continue to be hateful towards the dead. For those of you who don't think so - wait until it happens to someone you love. And do not for a moment pretend that hiding the memorial page will stop those that know how to navigate around a computer system.

With the advent of computers came an entire new range of laws. Why should people hide their memorials - people lose touch and sometimes a public obituary is the only way to find out someone you knew has passed over. Hiding from the world and from evil people - just gives them more and more power.

As for libel and slander I hope - with a direct inference to the internet - that new laws are legislated. I know that there are laws about using the telephone as a weapon - when people ring and threaten over the phone - the laws need to be extended to the internet perhaps.

As for limiting freedom of speech - making laws about a particular type of crime - does not equate to stopping freedom of speech. Unless of course trolling the deceased is something of a closet sport for some posters!?

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

How about incitement to racial hatred? Or political discrimination?

No it is not. Again, you are being overly dramatic and immature with your statement. There are clear laws to this, maybe delve into a subject's substance before you attack the outer layers.

You talk of a slippery slope...history is littered with examples that only need light to reveal them...so if you would care to look you would see where "words" have taken entire populations, hate, war...

Genuinely speaking, you need a concrete example of what you consider "free speech" and what others do not consider "free speech", but incitement to hatred. From there on you can look for differences and similarities and then work towards an argument.

Edit; The example in the thread really proves you wrong.
edit on 18-12-2011 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

reply to post by subfab

I doubt it but saying 'LOL ur kid is dead' isn't slander and it isn't libel.

If they reacted and did something stupid they could possibly claim it was "provocation".

In criminal law, provocation is a possible defense by excuse or exculpation alleging a sudden or temporary loss of control (a permanent loss of control is in the realm of insanity) as a response to another's provocative conduct sufficient to justify an acquittal, a mitigated sentence or a conviction for a lesser charge. Provocation can be a relevant factor in a court's assessment of a defendant's mens rea, intention, or state of mind, at the time of an act of which the defendant is accused.

wiki- provocation (legal)

It's just an excuse for people to commit crimes and try to get away with it however. There should be no excuse for trampling the free speech of other people.

That's why I use my secret weapon: ignoring them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join