It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lovecraft was a prophet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Think about it. Bloop is a stone's throw away from where Lovecraft foretold the city of R'yleh to be. They've discovered mountains under the Antarctic ice. Lovecraft even foretold of planetary bodies that sure enough were found to exist. Dagon has existed for thousands of years, since pre-Judeochristian religion, dating back to the Canaanites. You know, we know more about the moon than we do of the deep ocean. Who knows what lies in those murky, unknowable depths?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Which is why it is good to hedge your bets and do a little Chtulu worshipping!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Polaris

Slumber, watcher, till the spheres,
Six and twenty thousand years
Have revolv'd, and I return
To the spot where now I burn.
Other stars anon shall rise
To the axis of the skies;
Stars that soothe and stars that bless
With a sweet forgetfulness:
Only when my round is o'er
Shall the past disturb thy door.

It seems that we are currently at the point where Polaris is burning in the sky again. So, if he is, we may see soon.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
There's been an odd frequency in the amount of oceanic disasters this year. I look towards 2012 with a sort of grim apprehension. We've bought the ticket though, and we're locked in for the ride. I'd not worship Cthulhu. Belief gives strength, and it's things like that that do not need them. Lovecraft's come back in the media. The Bible's popularity is waning. You kill off believers, you kill off the god. That's what the holocaust was about, I think. Still, Yahweh is a cruel bastard, and I'd not give praise to any god that does what he's done to his faithful.
Perhaps Cthulhu will atleast deal with this overpopulation problem, though with a touch more mass devourings than preferable. Eh, couldn't be worse than the Bush presidency.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Grifter42

Anytime I see a thread beginning with, or containing within it's first few lines, the phrase 'think about it' I usually stop reading right there for some reason, it's like something my teachers would say in class when I was 10 yrs old.
Anyway, I'm familiar with Lovecraft's writing and if he was a 'prophet' then I'll dip my hat in raw sewage and eat it.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ia, Ia, Ia Cthulhu Flagan! Life is good, as long as one knows that Cthulhu love you, loves you in a sandwich!
The Old Ones still in death lie dreaming, and while we pretend dominance over an ancient and hoary earth,
pretending to rule over land and see the other dimensions watch on waiting for the gates to open and let them through!

Methinks you're onto a concept frighteningly possible!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I for one bow down to my Cthulhu master and welcome him.
(Right thats the chinese,insects,aliens and now Cthulhu I have welcomed. Covering all base's incase one does take over the planet)

OT I love reading Howards work pity no one has made a decent film .....yet.
edit on 16-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Then you must be Kent Brockman!

I don't know if Lovecraft was a prophet, but he was definitely THE Master!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Great so now, we have to go find cthulhu and ram it with a boat to save the world.
As long as innsmouth dosent happen, I don't want to run into any fish people.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The black and white version of the call of cthulu wasn't that bad actualy

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

dagon was not too bad

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I am shocked that I am the first to post this image. It was hard to choose between this one and another. But then I thought, What Would Cthulhu Do? So I will post both and then devour you.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordOfArcadia

Oh god his eyes. His eyes

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hey, giant squids exist. Who's to say that at no point did the CIA try to glue one onto a man's body, but giant squid sized? The CIA has done lots of nefarious things over the years. They're ancient demons, from the necronicon. The CIA intervened in Argentina after the fall of the nazi regime to shelter nazi fugitives. Where did Bloop happen, folks? Right off the coast of Argentina, somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. The USS Stein was also attacked by "an unknown species of giant squid" in the Pacific.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Perhaps he got his information from the occult

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

No, he was a science fiction writer. And like all good writers, he did his homework and made his stories some-what believable.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Actually, for me, if you're a racist, I'm not sure
you're a prophet.

Race, ethnicity, and class Racism is the most controversial aspect of Lovecraft’s works which “does not endear Lovecraft to the modern reader” and comes across through many disparaging remarks against the various non-Anglo-Saxon races and cultures within his work. Lovecraft did not seem to hold all White people in high regard, but rather he held English people and people of English descent above all others.

H. P. Lovecraft

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
It was a by-product of the times that he was racist. Sure, he was a bit of a xenophobe, but he wrote some of the great horror stories of the 1900s. Rudyard Kipling was a bit racist aswell, but Rikki-Tikki-Tavi is still regarded as a classic, even though it's set during the white-washed british imperialist era in India. Racist or not, there are some strange things in the ocean. Things no man has set an eye upon. The same for Antarctica, the setting of At the Mountains of Madness. Lake Vostok, for example, has some very bizaare properties about it. The water temperature, the anomaly at the bottom of it, things like that.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

You never know, we've all been told what to think and how to act that those who go against the grain may very well be a prophet but we're too politically correct to listen. (I'm not a fan of Lovecraft, so I'm not defending him.)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Actually, for me, if you're a racist, I'm not sure
you're a prophet.

Race, ethnicity, and class Racism is the most controversial aspect of Lovecraft’s works which “does not endear Lovecraft to the modern reader” and comes across through many disparaging remarks against the various non-Anglo-Saxon races and cultures within his work. Lovecraft did not seem to hold all White people in high regard, but rather he held English people and people of English descent above all others.

H. P. Lovecraft

Good on him, he is right about the English

top topics

<<   2 >>

join