It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Neti Pot Users: BEWARE!

page: 1
18
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

U.S state issues health warning after neti pot is linked to two deaths



A sinus-flushing device used to relieve colds and allergies has been linked to a deadly brain-eating amoeba.
Louisiana's state health department issued a warning about neti pots - which look like mini watering cans, that are used by pouring salty water through one nostril.
It follows two recent deaths - a 51-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man from the 'brain-eating amoeba' Naegleria fowleri.
It is thought the amoeba entered their brains when they used the devices.

Both victims are thought to have used tap water, instead of distilled or sterilised water as recommended by the manufacturers.


Source


I have used a Neti Pot before with tap water, which is apparently is a no go. Will boiling the water kill the amoeba? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't want to take any chances.






posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   


Wow, that's pretty messed up!

I've used one a few times before. But have always boiled the water, added saline mix, allowed to cool and then used it.

Then i would soak the pot in boiling water and hibiscrub after use.


edit on 16-12-2011 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Wow!

So can we assume that this amoeba is in our tap water? Not to go all fear mongering... but wow.



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0
 


You know what I got from all this...

tap water = deadly brain-eating amoeba

I had little trust in tap water before, now even less.

Some people improperly used a neti pot and have now suffered the consequences, sucks to be them.



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0
 


Will boiling it kill the amoeba?

It's a high possibility. But it would be safer to get the distilled water. Heat kills almost anything (except extremophiles, but those wouldn't be in your water.)



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

U.S state issues health warning after neti pot is linked to two deaths



A sinus-flushing device used to relieve colds and allergies has been linked to a deadly brain-eating amoeba.
Louisiana's state health department issued a warning about neti pots - which look like mini watering cans, that are used by pouring salty water through one nostril.
It follows two recent deaths - a 51-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man from the 'brain-eating amoeba' Naegleria fowleri.
It is thought the amoeba entered their brains when they used the devices.

Both victims are thought to have used tap water, instead of distilled or sterilised water as recommended by the manufacturers.


Source


I have used a Neti Pot before with tap water, which is apparently is a no go. Will boiling the water kill the amoeba? I'm not sure, but I wouldn't want to take any chances.




Yes, boiling the water should kill any bacteria in your tap water... but don't just bring the water to a boil and then shut it off... be sure to run it to a full rolling boil for at least 3 minutes. Then let it cool down to room temperature with the lid on the pot.

And always be sure to sterilize your neti pot after each use... I toss mine in the dishwasher.

Wow, who'da thunk running a salt water solution through your sinuses could lead to death ?!



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj
 

I could be wrong but I think distilled water is suppose to taste like ass due to having no minerals and stuff in it. Pure h2o sounds nice but I don't think its "tasty"



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver
 


Who cares?

You are not drinking this water... its for your nose



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for the info! My wife uses this thing all the time and swears by it. It will now be thrown in the garbage, used properly or not!



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by damingus
Wow! Thanks for the info! My wife uses this thing all the time and swears by it. It will now be thrown in the garbage, used properly or not!


Really? Wow. You do know that improperly using a motor vehicle can result in serious bodily injury or death? Can I have your car now?



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

However, infections from naegleria fowleri are very rare. Only 32 infections were reported in the U.S. from 2001 to 2010.


Yeah, hardly worth sounding the war drums over.

I use one of these things with straight up tap water pretty regularly and this isnt freaking me out.

You shouldnt be swimming at all then if you fear brain eating amoebas.

Not to mention that if we're going to fear a cold/sinus remedy how about Tylenol putting like 25,000 people in the hospital every year.

Quick, everybody toss the Neti pots and load up on Tylenol!!!!
edit on 16-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
New orleans area tap water is so full of chemicals and minerals from the Mississippi River, you have to break out a chisel and hammer when cleaning your tub (mineral deposits). Aint no way an ameoba could survive in that.
(So you probably still dont want to pour it into your nose)
This must be North or Central La.
In any case, you can get one of those from going for a swim in any resh body of water.
Let's try to shut down a whole industry because of 2 instances in one locality. Talk about fearmongering.
Stepping outside your front door frequently leads to death, as well. Where's that story?
A better story would be for the town or immediate area in Louisiana where this occured to put out a warning. Not sure why a UK paper has any business in it.
(By the way, this is not in N.O. area news)



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I usually nuke the water before before using it (microwave). I try to use distilled or at least purified water but have used tap water on occasion. Not sure if the microwave will kill the buggers, but I imagine it brings another problem into play, radioactivite water. I also add a few drops of GSE.



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You can't trust your tap water.

Saw a History Channel program a few weeks back and some Greek (I think) King, thousands of years back - wanted to take over a neighboring city of 20,000 people.

Solution: Without one soldier - one horse, one chariot, he had this city's water supply poisoned by cutting near by planets that were poisonous and soaked them in the originating water which they dammed up for a few hours.

They then waited 24 hours, rode in and every man, woman, child and animal was dead.

The beginning of covert war fare.

Not all war fare is in your face...................the smart PTB are sneaky, they accomplish victory and conquer quietly.

Wonder what else is in our water supplies and how it's affecting us?

Also wonder if our entire species is at war but not aware of it?

If using tap water in a neti pot does this, what does drinking tap water do?

War fare of the future, other countries and or civilizations might not come in with overt weapons - they just might quietly (covertly) wipe out the population.

Just some thoughts thrown out while reading the opening post.



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent
 


Nice.

This fear of a once in a millennium infection will no doubt upset the population into demanding the government pump the water supply with even more toxins.

For our safety.



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Interesting... I gues we could be at risk then when taking a shower (water goes up my nose from time to time). For those wanting boiling tips:

“According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude.”


www.survivaltopics.com...



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0
 


Boiling the water will kill the amoeba. Also, I've never heard of "pouring" the water, we just inhale the steam?

Also, Tap Water is fine, it doesn't contain amoebae, the problem is with allowing water to sit and get stale. Fresh water should be used each time.

So, Fresh water, clean pot, boiled for sterility, and inhaled not poured.

I have to wonder,,,,,,, some times these things are just natural selection. Who in their right mind would pour cold, old, stale water up their nostrils?



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I am thankful that I don't live in Louisiana if they are issuing warnings before the investigation is even closed.

And most likely the brain eating amoebas( I am sorry, but that is fun to say) need those warm waters, I don't consider the brain eating amoeba a national threat.

I bet big Pharma is behind this. People don't buy decongestants if the neti pot works!



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a deadly brain-eating amoeba


If anyone is interested Garlic does wonders with the sinuses.



Peace



posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Rarely, under-chlorinated swimming pools have been implicated in transmission. Because Naegleria fowleri can be present in untreated well water, there is a small but real chance of transmission to young children during bathing. Naegleria fowleri has also caused disease in adults who inject water into the nose as part of ritual ablutions related to religious practices.


Source




top topics



 
18
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join