It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Neti Pot Users: BEWARE!

page: 3
18
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deja`Vu
This explains my recent short term memory lapses.


4. warm distilled water in the netti pot in the microwave for 1 minute is ok, just let it cool down.



Might want to add this to the safety list..
www.youtube.com...




posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0
 


Naegleria fowleri

United States

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the amoeba killed 33 people between 1998 and 2007. In the 10 years from 2001 to 2010, 32 infections were reported in the U.S. Of those cases, 30 people were infected by contaminated recreational water and two people were infected by water from a geothermal (naturally hot) drinking water supply.[29]

In October 2002, two Peoria, Arizona 5-year-olds died after being exposed to untreated water supplied by Rose Valley Water.[30]

In August 2005, two Oklahoma boys, ages 7 and 9, were killed by N. fowleri after swimming in the hot stagnant water of lakes in the Tulsa area.[31]

In 2007, six cases were reported in the U.S., all fatal:[11] In July, the amoeba caused the deaths of three boys in lakes around Orlando, Florida. Possible causes of the infections include higher temperature and droughts in that area of Florida.[32]

N. fowleri can be found in all non-chlorinated bodies of fresh water in Texas except colder water, typically spring fed. In late summer, the amoeba caused the death of a 12-year-old boy and a 22-year-old young man in Lake LBJ in Texas.[33][34]

In September, a 14-year-old boy, Aaron K. Evans, was killed by the amoeba after likely having caught it while swimming in Lake Havasu in Arizona. The doctors suspected meningitis before the boy died, but did not know the etiology until the CDC confirmed it as N. fowleri.[35][36]

In August 2008, a 9-year-old boy was killed after having been exposed to the amoeba while swimming several times in Lake Elsinore in California. The boy was the first ever confirmed case in Riverside County.[14]

On September 23, 2009, a 22-year-old man hospitalized in Florida died from a confirmed case of N. fowleri after having contracted it at the Orlando Watersports Complex.[37]

On August 17, 2009, 10-year-old Philip Thomas Gompf died from a confirmed case after having contracted the parasite while tubing on Lake Arietta in Polk County, Florida.[38]

There were four cases in 2010: In July 2010, 10-year-old Liza Hollingsworth of South Carolina died from amoebic meningitis, though the exact amoeba was not specifically identified.[39]

In August 2010, Minnesota state epidemiologists reported that a 7-year-old girl died of meningitis caused by the amoeba, after swimming in several different bodies of water in the state. This was the first ever reported case in Minnesota and the first ever documented in a northern state.[40]

In August 2010, 7-year-old Kyle Lewis died after contracting the amoeba from swimming in warm water near Glen Rose, Texas.[41] Texas authorities say this is the tenth case since 2000.[42] www.kylecares.com

On August 15, 2010, a 7-year-old boy died of a confirmed case of N. fowleri contracted from swimming in an Arkansas lake/pond.[43]

In June, 2011, a young Louisiana man died after flushing his sinuses with infected tap water.[44]

In August 2011, three cases are known to have occurred: 16-year-old Courtney Nash became ill and died after swimming with her family in the St. Johns River in Brevard County, Florida.[45]

The Virginia Department of Health confirmed that a case of N. fowleri infection had occurred in the state for the first time since 1969.[46] Local media reports cited the death of a 9-year-old boy, Christian Strickland of Henrico County, who died August 5 of meningitis contracted from a N. fowleri infection.[47] He had been at a fishing day camp the week before his illness.[48][49]

A Kansas resident died after contraction of the amoeba after swimming in a lake near Winfield, Kansas.[50]

In December 2011, a 51 year-old woman in Louisiana died after flushing her sinuses with infected tap water.[51]

Wiki source...

edit on 18-12-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)



new topics
 
18
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join