It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is China listening in through your cellphone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
China's Listening In

A Pentagon report has found that a multibillion-dollar Chinese telecommunications company that has been seeking to make major inroads in the U.S. market has close ties to China's military, despite the company’s denials.

At issue for Huawei is widespread concern among U.S. military and intelligence agencies that Huawei’s switches, chips and firmware contain “back doors” that can give China's military the equivalent of listening posts all over the U.S. telecommunications infrastructure.

This article is dated from just last September, but with our current new "model" of cell and internet structure being based on China's, this could have relevance for our own situation.
edit on 16-12-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
No.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lowundertheradar

I guess the same could be said about other countries kit?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by GLaDOS

Wow, really, wow. Impressive zen-like use of skillful rhetoric, my good man. Bravo! (So much for one-liners!)

Apparently, no one cares that their cell phone may be a spy device for a massively totalitarian and brutal regime, not even the U.S.A. But that's okay, just take your pills and drink your koolaide. Sigh*

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Dude I think you should just disconnect your house phone and throw away your cell phone...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I don't have a cell phone and for sure not one of a brand name "Huawei".
Sounds like something you can win at a carnival

But in all seriousness...i can see this actually being the case, it would certainly be rather easy to do from a technical point of view.

But this might not only affect phones, but 90% of our electronics, computers etc..all that #### is from China!
So they might do that already for ages, really...
edit on 16-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
del, dupe
edit on 16-12-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Maybe there are back doors via power sockets ahhhhh!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

This is an amazing discovery that I've come across; I'm sorry you don't appreciate its importance, but I do. So what? I had a situation earlier, which led me to further research and then this. Have you even read the article linked, much less thought about it? Or has everyone here sunk to the basest apathy and given up all interest or concern? Your loss, indeed.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I don't know.
However Israel probably is.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

True, everyone is listen on them!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Man, that's a busy place what with the NSA listening in too.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It's lame and ridiculing comments like these that make me hesitate to ever post here again. I would hope that some of you might have a shred of sense, in trying to discover what our vulnerabilities could be in national, civil and even personal defense. I'm guessing TPTB are sitting back comfortably with a smile; their work is over, now that the "deny ignorance" crowd is reduced to snarky humor and brain-dead apathy. Good riddance to the lot of you. I have plenty of awesome books to last, this winter and into the next.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
who cares?
i thought they spoke chinese in china anyway
so no problems down my end
i speak english

thanks guys

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Well not sure what you want anyone to say. I read the report, and it sounds like it could either be true, or there is some other political motivation going on- and probably to do with price undercutting that would cause a major loss in profits for the establishment (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) if this company was let in. Wouldn't be the first time this happened.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by lowundertheradar
reply to post by GLaDOS

Wow, really, wow. Impressive zen-like use of skillful rhetoric, my good man. Bravo! (So much for one-liners!)

Apparently, no one cares that their cell phone may be a spy device for a massively totalitarian and brutal regime, not even the U.S.A. But that's okay, just take your pills and drink your koolaide. Sigh*

The USA is the brutal regime.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Well not sure what you want anyone to say. I read the report, and it sounds like it could either be true, or there is some other political motivation going on- and probably to do with price undercutting that would cause a major loss in profits for the establishment (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) if this company was let in. Wouldn't be the first time this happened.

I felt the same way. There are several major companies around the world providing cellular services in their home country and outside. Though the concerns are valid with backdoor exploits possibly existing on their equipment supplied by the provider, I believe it is more so a blockade/resistance from the Major service providers (AT&T, Verizon..etc). In reality, any technological equipment always has a workaround to beat the technology. It is that simple. If humans designed it, then the designers and engineers has a way to compromise/override the functionality.

On a side note, certain manufacturers of the Automobile companies were resisted from penetrating the US market when they initially tried to establish a manufacturing and sales base in the US.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Huawei maybe. That is why ATT and government won't allow their equipment in their network. About the government listening in on your phone calls research CALEA it is real.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I don't know if I will believe the Chinese are actively listening to our cell phone communications, but after reading the article I can believe that they may have set up the capability. However, I have no reason to doubt that any call in the U.S. is likely monitored by our own government.

This does reinforce my concern that I am being monitored by the Chinese when I talk with the mother of one of my children, a citizen of the PRC. I always figured someone was likely listening. Now, I am almost certain.

I don't know if it makes me feel more paranoid or not, or if I really care that someone is listening. I'm not participating in any type of illegal activity.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think the same company(Huawei)have the contract to enable wi fi in the London underground during the olympic games next year.
There was talk that they were closely tied to China's military.

www.eweek.com...

Oh no,they didn't get the "contract."
They offered the service FOR FREE!

Sounds well shady to me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join