It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British town grows all of its own vegetables FREE, witnesses improved civic life and reduced crime a

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+46 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This is absolutely fantastic! Once I have posted this I am going to email my local council and ask if I can remove the shrubs at the bottom of my drive (outside my gates) and plant food!

NaturalNews) When the small British mill town of Todmorden, tucked in between Yorkshire and Lancashire, first began installing fruit and vegetable gardens all around the area as part of the Incredible Edible program, it likely had no idea that the novel, yet simple, concept would make the town a foremost inspirational and self-sustaining model of the future.

Fresh herbs, succulent greens, and tasty fruits can be found growing near civic buildings, college campuses, supermarket parking lots, and various other places. Small garden plots, raised planting beds, and even small soil strips in these areas can be found brimming with fresh produce, all of which are free to anyone who want it, and at any time.

It is all part of a program called Incredible Edible, which was founded by Mary Clear, a local grandmother of ten, and Pam Warhurst, former owner of a local restaurant in town known as Bear Cafe. The duo had a shared goal of making Todmorden the first town in the UK to become completely self-sufficient in food -- and their endeavors have been successful, at least as far as keeping up with demand for produce from locals who want it.

The program so far utilizes 70 large planting beds located all around the town to plant raspberries, apricots, apples, blackcurrants, redcurrants, strawberries, beans, peas, cherries, mint, rosemary, thyme, fennel, potatoes, kale, carrots, lettuce, onions, vegetables, and herbs. Not only did locals quickly catch on and begin taking the produce, but they also generally respect the system and do not take advantage of it.

Read more here

www.naturalnews.com...

Here's a newspaper report which goes into more depth

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I don't care what the council says...I have a whole pile of baby strawberry plants and chives ready to start appearing all over my area next spring!
Get your trowels out guys...the 'peaceful revolution' is about to begin!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

As incredible as this is, the average government doesn't make any money off it.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I hope you have a permit to grow those veggies

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Whilst i applaud the residents of Todmorden, i am not sure how this same scheme would fare in other places around our fair Isles. Have you ever been there? It is a very new age, hippy type of place (nothing wrong with that) and as such, people there tend to be more open to this sort of thing and also to not abuse the system. I suspect if you tried this in Burnley, Rochdale or Halifax it would be abused left, right and centre.

Well done to them though.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Monsanto is going to legally rape them

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
The more towns and villages take up on this the better. Sure many areas will be marred for a while by dickheads destroying things, but the quicker they get used to the idea that they can actually do something productive in between dole checks the better.
Gives people something to look forward to and be proud of when everything seems so rubbish right now.
Monsanto will do bugger all, with the councils permissions this will likely take off. It breathes community and that's what OUR nation rightfully deserves back.
edit on 15-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
That is so awesome.

Our governments have become businesses. We could meet our needs alot cheaper if our governments were not intent on making a profit from us.

Is it 'businesses or business' ? Anyway governments are out to exploit us for the most part. I wish more things like this were allowed.
edit on 15-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Whilst i applaud the residents of Todmorden, i am not sure how this same scheme would fare in other places around our fair Isles. Have you ever been there? It is a very new age, hippy type of place (nothing wrong with that) and as such, people there tend to be more open to this sort of thing and also to not abuse the system. I suspect if you tried this in Burnley, Rochdale or Halifax it would be abused left, right and centre.

Well done to them though.

While I do agree the system would struggle elsewhere, this is due to the shortage of supply and the general lack of money people have, if ALL councils did this though, now that would be an interesting proposition, think about it a nation where if your are hungry you can just go crop some local food. hell they even keep saying the unemployed will have to do a days work to get their benefit, getting them to do a day a week helping to grow stuff for everyone would be a real boost to everyone, and I say that as an unemployed person that might well have to do this work.

It would help reduce poverty, increase the availability of fresh fruit and vegetables which many can no longer afford and help increase civic pride and if all public land was used there would be enough to prevent abuse, of course commercial interests will be pissed, but you know what I am sick to death of corporate dictation over our lives so screw them.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I know what you mean but i used to live in the area - about a 20 minute drive from Todmorden. Many of the local towns are just full of idiots that like to damage things for the sake of it. Todmorden and Hebdon bridge are almost like oasis's of calm in the storm! (nothing like a bit of melodrama!)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
This is absolutely fantastic! Once I have posted this I am going to email my local council and ask if I can remove the shrubs at the bottom of my drive (outside my gates) and plant food!

NaturalNews) When the small British mill town of Todmorden, tucked in between Yorkshire and Lancashire, first began installing fruit and vegetable gardens all around the area as part of the Incredible Edible program, it likely had no idea that the novel, yet simple, concept would make the town a foremost inspirational and self-sustaining model of the future.

Fresh herbs, succulent greens, and tasty fruits can be found growing near civic buildings, college campuses, supermarket parking lots, and various other places. Small garden plots, raised planting beds, and even small soil strips in these areas can be found brimming with fresh produce, all of which are free to anyone who want it, and at any time.

It is all part of a program called Incredible Edible, which was founded by Mary Clear, a local grandmother of ten, and Pam Warhurst, former owner of a local restaurant in town known as Bear Cafe. The duo had a shared goal of making Todmorden the first town in the UK to become completely self-sufficient in food -- and their endeavors have been successful, at least as far as keeping up with demand for produce from locals who want it.

The program so far utilizes 70 large planting beds located all around the town to plant raspberries, apricots, apples, blackcurrants, redcurrants, strawberries, beans, peas, cherries, mint, rosemary, thyme, fennel, potatoes, kale, carrots, lettuce, onions, vegetables, and herbs. Not only did locals quickly catch on and begin taking the produce, but they also generally respect the system and do not take advantage of it.

Read more here

www.naturalnews.com...

Here's a newspaper report which goes into more depth

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I don't care what the council says...I have a whole pile of baby strawberry plants and chives ready to start appearing all over my area next spring!
Get your trowels out guys...the 'peaceful revolution' is about to begin!

Rainbows
Jane

You've got zero to no chance of Warrington getting involved

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I'd imagine large towns and cities having little to no interest in it due to inevitable destruction, but surely somewhere in our history books every place has the right to a communal piece of land to use for such a purpose, even if it has to be secured.

edit on 15-12-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDemonUK

Why say you that?....Has anybody tried?...there's a lot of 'parks' maintained but not 'owned' by anyone around where I live...what's anybody going to do if some strawberry plants, potatoes, carrots start popping up in random places?....pick 'em and eat 'em?

I take it you're from the Warrington area then? Are you opposed to the idea in principal? If your not opposed, then PM me and let's start a local 'revolution'

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Not opposed to any good idea at all, and yes I am from the Warrington area. Unfortunately I have far too much going on in my life to give it any time at present. I do fear that the contents of these random allotments would end up at the many local car boot sales. Yes, they would still be producing the 'edibles' but I would be pretty p****d at providing someone financial gain for some unscrupulous person
edit on 15-12-2011 by TheDemonUK because: rewording

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

this is a fantastic i want this in my town

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Absolutely, anywhere with a village or town common has this right - in fact any "common" ground at all is open for this sort of thing.

I wish it luck taking off around the country and maybe the world? It certainly helps in Mexico City doesn't it?

Im just very cynical about the "me, me, me's" that are everywhere in society these days........

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I will stick up for him on this, im often in Warrington seeing a supplier for our company and i have to say, what a sh******! (no offence to those from Warrington but im sure you probably agree!).

It is one of those places that seems to be a "scrote central".

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDemonUK

Now that's what I call a defitist (spell check!) attitude! For the ammount that would turn up around here in car boots, they would soon be rumbled!
As for time.....I can help with that probably! You sound sooooo busy, that you could be well stressed and a spot of gardening for an hour or two once or twice a month would be FOOD for your soul!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Warrington maybe....but I don't live IN Warrington, we are just 'governed' by them.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

You get the point though. There are plenty of places this scheme should be adopted because it will be a success.

Unfortunately though, there are also plenty of places that if this was adopted, it would be ruined by the stupid, narrow minded (and yes i will say it) THICK individuals that seem to enjoy making a misery of the lives of others.

On the other hand, we could try this everywhere and anyone caught ruining it could be put in stocks in the local town centre! The more i think of this, the more i like it! It may finally cut down on the number of scumbags walking around........

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by Flavian

Warrington maybe....but I don't live IN Warrington, we are just 'governed' by them.
Rainbows
Jane

Birchwood is certainly a prettier name than Warrington.......I have lived in Oakwood in the past so I know what Birchwood is like. As for the stress part, you are right, but unfortunately it has to be part of my life at the moment.

As for someone elses comment of scrote central, thats the price you pay when you are smack bang in the middle of a motorway that runs from Liverpoool to Manchester. Warrington is an overflow town for Liverpool, Manchester...and Warsaw

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join